Reviews for Half Life
AshesOnTheWind chapter 8 . 12/1/2014
This was just absolutely brilliant I cannot even begin to say how much. The theme in general was wonderful, it was written beautifully, and the fact there was no romance was incredibly refreshing.
PurpleBunyip chapter 8 . 11/15/2014
Great!
SeraSearaSpin chapter 8 . 2/26/2014
I'm glad his friends are back in their own way. And that there was no romance. And just for this story to be here, really. It was worth the time it took to read it :)
SeraSearaSpin chapter 4 . 2/26/2014
I like this a lot. Especially since France is being serious, and not spazzing all over the place, trying to rape England (or any of the other characters), or any of the other France-ish things that normally crop up in other stories. And, they all actually care (as this chapter says).
reader chapter 8 . 6/26/2011
that's sweet! It's always in kids. :) I can imagine why England would be autophobic, I mean he's a little island divided from Europe by a small chanel and yet, still considered to be part of it! that's kinnda sad... anyway, Thank you for writing! (because every writer deserves a thanks)

~Reader
argella1300 chapter 8 . 1/5/2011
i really like this story! it's nice to see a different side of england than we usually see in fanfics.
bbissocute chapter 8 . 11/10/2010
AAAAAAAAAAAH. SO. GOOOD. I loved this. Just...So well written! Wonderful work, really. You captured Arthur perfectly.
Ceri Moriarty chapter 8 . 9/26/2010
TOTALLY AMAZING!

You're really an amazing writer, you know that? You're really good with "mental" stuff—like, England's autophobia (I know what that is! [proud]), and Romano's split personality in On the Other Side of Nowhere. This was a really good fanfiction, you're seriously amazing.
TheDawnCatcher chapter 8 . 7/27/2010
Autophobic Arthur? I have to say, that's totally original, and completely brilliant! I feel terrible for him, but he's in good hands. He's always been in good hands.

After you mentioned the door theme I went back through the story to check, shocked at how often doors were involved. Sneaky...
Julesie chapter 8 . 7/18/2010
Fantastic story. Kept me interested the whole way through and had me confused yet in some ways understanding completely how England was. Being a similar way myself yet not with fairies for the reason made me relate a bit. It was a very different story.

I'm glad you didn't throw pairings in and even though I am not a fan of Spain with France I didn't mean it at all.

It's nice to see a fiction without Romance even though I 'am' a yaoi lover and like to see two guys smexin but it is such a enjoy to be able to just read a story with plot in it and not overshadowed by the pairings.

Again, fantastic story. I enjoyed it. Thank you.
it's simply me chapter 8 . 6/23/2010
This story was great. Truly. It had depth, and I saw you mention in the end comments that this was a simple story, but I think that's what gave it it's depth. The characters remained unbelievably in-character throughout the whole thing, which was pretty amazing, really. And actually, I found the lack of romance equal to a breath of fresh air. EVERYTHING does not need have romance. _

So yes, great story, with flawless chapters and development, even if you didn't really intend for it to be one of your best works.
Spazzcat-Katori chapter 8 . 5/25/2010
I must say, this story is fantastic. Extremely well written, with a well-explained premise and strong plot. And the ending is simply beautiful. I really enjoyed reading this, so thank you for this wonderful story.
A midsummer night's dream chapter 8 . 5/6/2010
It was one heck of a breakdown...thankfully, England was fine again.I just don't know what would I have...urgh, seeing England like that makes me feel like that, so lost and afraid to be alone, kinda...well, angst-y.
Eevee chapter 8 . 4/11/2010
I think the roots of your question can be traced back to the fact that fanfiction, in the end, is amateur and trivial literature. What does the layman read for easy entertainment? It isn't award-winning classics, but paperback romances. Fanfic writes to its audience, and where gen often demands a writer that is skilled enough to make a story truly GOOD, any sub-par romance can easily ten times the response because it satisfies the readers who don't particularly care for the common benchmarks of quality as long as it has her OTP in it. Anyone can write a cliché-ridden love story. Writing good drama takes SKILL.

And that being said, Hetalia is - somewhat oddly - one of those fandoms where gen doesn't even have a vocal special interest group lounging around in the corners. I've been in this fandom for over a year, and I think this is the first story I have seen that goes into these kinds of depths in the characters without the purpose being pretentiously historical (which of course is why we are here in the first place, I know), or romance (often both). So from that background alone, I can understand perfectly that you would get an overwhelming response to this. It's a beautiful little story on its own, but it also does something that the Hetalia fandom at times does not even seem to consider: to write drama about the nations as CHARACTERS, and not just as vessels of politics.

politics.
Lunarshade29 chapter 8 . 2/18/2010
Here is a super long review because... well... I'm not a regular reviewer now am I? I have been following this however and well... I feel like a bad person for not reviewing this story.

You say it's not your "most interesting" or your "best plot". But it still held my interest. I can't believe how long it took me to pick up on the theme though. You had to freaking write it out for me! I wish my books for AP Language had notes at the end to explain themes. But yes, doors have a very strong meaning when you use them as you did.

I did try to favorite this story twice, impossible as that may be. But it's just so... I don't know... good. Great. Wonderful. Beautiful. Thought provoking. I can't really think of a good word for it. Which is why I don't review very much.

As for the pairing thing... well when I read the first few chapters I expected a pairing. But then I realized that you weren't going to write pairings about half way through it when I glanced up at the genres again. I also realized that I'm glad you didn't put pairings in as it wouldn't really fit. It was beautiful with the friendships however. You really gave those relationships justice. That makes sense right?

Well I apologize for the long review. But eh... I didn't think a short one would count.