Reviews for Passing On
Kifo Entiegon chapter 1 . 4/16
This was so powerful with emotion. I am crying. It probably didn't help that I had saddening music playing in the background. But don't get me wrong, I did like it. I just want to know, was Thomas' father Joe?
Rainbow Manes chapter 1 . 5/19/2013
Amazing!
Meghan chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
Okay, this is just fantastic! I love it. Nobody could have done better. Great job! :)
Scot chapter 1 . 12/1/2012
IndigoAppleSnap and Brambelle, may I once more apologise sincerely for the remarks I made. You have done very well with this - I love the way Beauty meets up with Ginger and Merrylegs again. My three horses are called after the three in this novel - Black Beauty, Ginger and Merrylegs - and I love them to bits. They're brothers and sister - and I'd never part with them. I loved the 1994 movie of Black Beauty and that was when I bought my beautiful horses - who look exactly the three in the book. My Black Beauty and Merrylegs are brothers - both aged four - and Ginger - their sister - is three.
lala chapter 1 . 11/16/2012
Wow.
I just read the book again and was so touched by it that i went here to look for some more stories about Beauty and Ginger.
I'm convinced that no one with a heart in their chest could read it without being moved by it, and you've managed to capture that beautifully.
Thank you for reuniting him with Ginger and Merrylegs, and I'm sure he will meet his other friends there as well. Ginger's end was a very sad one, she'd deserve to be happy in a better place :) Nice to think that after death there will be no more mistreatment and hurt.
Spiritwolf98 chapter 1 . 9/25/2012
This is by far the best Black Beauty fiction, and I think is so touching could be one of the best ones on this site. I cried when reading it. It was so well done! Please do not pay attention to people who hate on it. They have obviously never read good literature. Amazing.
owlcat92 chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
*a tear rolls down her face*
I was touched by that. I really was.
I guess . . . thanks, for writing that.
Beauty needed and end, and you gave him one he should be proud of.
-Owl.
CityCat chapter 1 . 8/4/2012
This story has got to be the most beautiful death that has ever been a pleasure to read! It was tear-stricken, heaven inviting, and I loved every word of it! It's hard to let a close friend go to the beyond, especially if it's an endearing pet. Well done, and I hope to read more of your work in the near future.

As for those pesky blowtorches out there:
Child, have you ever read from this site before today? There's literature out there that could make this fanfic a full-blown NOVEL by comparison! You think this one is "dirty and corrupting"? Check out the definitions of angst and sadism before responding, because let me tell you that the level of cruelty I have witnessed to be written will make this so-called "mind-corruption" look like a fat lady's purse! Let's see you haters try to muster up the courage to post a better story on . That's all I have to say about that.

I apologize that you had to read my angry rant, but no good fanfic should ever be extinguished by those who cannot recognize and appreciate one when they see it.
With love, encouragement, and a flame-snuffer,
-CityCat
Scot chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Indigo Apple Snap and Brambelle, I'm very sorry and meant no offence. I happen to own three horses of my own - who I called after the three horses in this novel - and I love them so deeply I was very upset at the thought of them ever being ill and dying. I must assure you I meant absolutely no offence for the style and phrasing of the story - as it is very moving that Beauty joins Ginger and Merrylegs again. If my horses ever do get ill, I will of course ring the vet - but that was apparently not the custom in Victorian times. You are quite right, however, about it being more cruel to keep a suffering pet alive - as I had to do that with my dog. Please do accept my most sincere apologies. I am a troll - I won't deny that.
Indigo Apple Snap chapter 1 . 11/29/2011
Okay, so for some reason I'm unable to reply to any of your reviews, so I am going to put it here.

To the flamers: I have decided that although I have ignored you and your frankly insulting and degrading witterings, I should set some records straight so others won't be confused and feel the same as you.

Firstly, the fact that you are calling this story 'abysmal' and 'depressing' because there is death in it is frankly immature. There is life- there is also death. It's a sad subject but something many people think on from time to time. It does not corrupt the mind, for everyone thinks about it, and death has been portrayed far more horrifically then it has been done here. My original thoughts on starting this was that I wondered how Beauty would feel reunited with his horse friends, but when you read the book both Ginger and Merrylegs have died by the time he's in his final home. So the answer- his death. It's not meant to be a sad occassion, but a happy one, as he rejoins the friends he misses so much.

Secondly, the idea of the vet. Now, Black Beauty is set in the Victorian era, at a time where horses and other animals were not treated in the way they are today. Beauty dies of OLD AGE, he is not sick. If anyone has lost a pet, they will know that it is better for them to die then let them remain suffering with the help of the vet. Veterinary practices were not as common as they are today, and in many cases (particularly in the historical context of the story) if a horse was not fit for work but otherwise perfectly healthy, they would still be shot by their owners. No vet involved, and a much more barbaric way to go about ending an animal's life, which is why I included the mention of the gun but didn't use it-instead, Beauty dies of his own accord, but the idea of a cruel option so obviously shown in the original story I felt needed to be kept a key theme.

Thirdly. I will assume the commenter who asked why they didn't 'all go back to Birtwick?' has never read the book, or if so has little memory of it, because there is no way of their return. Ginger died from overwork as a cab horse, along with a breathing problem sustained when she was a hunter for a short time. Merrylegs was sold to a Vicar, I think it was, and once he was unable to pull the trap (through to old age, one would assume) he would be shot and buried in the gardens. In addition, the owners of Birtwick have emigrated to improve the lady of the house's health. So, no return to Birtwick.

If you were merely attempting to get me to leave the site (though I don't know why, maybe you're just trolls, heck knows) then you've not succeeded. I am going to remain here and continue writing and nothing, flamer or not, will stop me. I think I have made my point clear, so I would just like to finish by thanking everyone who has supported me with this story and enjoyed reading it. I know it was a bit of a downer, but I felt like writing it at the time, which I must stress was quite a few years ago now. I'm glad that people are still enjoying it, and I deeply appreciate the support you have all given me.

Much thanks,

Indigo Apple Snap xX
Brambelle chapter 1 . 11/24/2011
Seriously, ignore the flamers. I love this story, all of the horses are in character, the plot is really good and you've written it beautifully. I didn't find it at all depressing, and you don't have a 'poisoned mind'. It's brilliant. Well done.

And Scott? That's quite harsh. Your review is the thing that should be taken off the site. That's a disgusting thing to say, and especially as Indigo Apple Snap has clearly worked hard on this.
HorrorFan6 chapter 1 . 5/2/2011
Oh my God, that's sad. And really, really good! I love this! Your writing style is amazing; I felt like I was there with Beauty and the others.

I've always thought the story kind of had a sad ending. Sure, he's happy, but his friends are all dead and all he can do is wait to join them. I love how you captured those last moments here. It's really effective and gut-wrenching (especially to me, who has lost a horse before and can vouch for how it feels).

I just have one question, though: who is Thomas? The book ends with Beauty belonging to Joe Green and the ladies, with Farmer Thoroughgood and Willie coming to visit every so often. Is Thomas your own character?

Anyway, great story, loved it!
123 chapter 1 . 4/13/2011
Don't listen to those reviewers who say this is trash, it's sad, but it is also happy,in a way,and even though he dies,he goes to heaven with his happy horse friends!
Scott chapter 1 . 3/19/2011
Absolutely sick, appalling and completely unacceptable. I DEMAND you remove this shambolic, sick rubbish from this site. No words can describe the revolting writing and storyline. Disgusting and clearly the work of a poisoned and corrupt mind. If your horse is sick, you call a vet - you DO NOT let it die! If it needs to be killed, the vet should kill it. This is a disgusting, sickening way to corrupt the minds of innocent children. Utterly sick, depraved and poisonous.
Scott chapter 1 . 3/19/2011
I don't think anyone could exaggerate how utterly appalling this story is. It's sickening, shocking, dreadful beyond is dreadful in style and writing and appalling in storyline. Its author is almost certainly a sick individual who thrives on upsetting people. I would incinerate this abysmal excuse for a appalling from start to finish and I demand it be removed from this site! The only saving grace is the stunning countryside so well described - but the story is so dreadful. If the author likes horses she should've let them live! Abysmal is the only word I can use to describe this abhorrent story.