Reviews for An Exercise in Futility
amr56 chapter 1 . 8/30
This is beautiful. I never really give much thought to Kimimaro, usually, but I like the way you describe him. He's like a work of art. Thanks for sharing!
AlmostElectric chapter 1 . 6/25/2014
I don't think I've ever read anything so beautiful. I'm in tears.
LadyCapuccino chapter 1 . 12/19/2013
listen, thank you so much for posting this.
when I searched for kimmimaruxsasuke must say i didn't expect to find so few fanfics. it's amazing that the naruto fandom has a terrific amount of fics, but most of them are of the same pairings.
so, i found yours, totally unaware how wonderful the reading would be and now i'm on a little bit of the emotional side, with a stuffy noise, and so very thankful that you posted this fic.
it is a lovely, bittersweet story and very well written
crystal ice-statis chapter 1 . 9/1/2013
I absolutely love this line
"In some ways, flowers are much more beautiful than antique pottery, Sasuke-sama," Kimimaro says with a strange half-smile. "All men are ruled by the terror of time, so no attained object can give lasting aesthetic pleasure. Flowers are especially unpretentious about their impermanence. The fact that their beauty is fleeting makes them ever more desirable."

The irony is impeccable. Sasuke's heart is breaking because Kimimaro is so transient and fleeting, yet he later notes that even in his decline, Kimimaro still has an androgynous kind of dangerous beauty which might be exactly what drew Sasuke in to begin with. impermance. And so later, in the end, Sasuke too begins to appreciate the transience of flowers. or rather, he is affirming that his "thing" with Kimimaro, no matter how short and temporary, was still real
mistralle chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
Aww! You really made me to like this pairing! Thank you! chapter 1 . 12/10/2010
How can you even think that nobody would care about this story? I remember reading it years ago and was so sad when it just disappeared. I think my heart almost leapt out of my chest when I saw this back online.

It's a really really beautiful piece of work. Kimimaro is so wise in the way he handles Sasuke. And Sasuke so caring and yet completely selfish. It's a work of art. The ending is fantastic, with the implication that Sasuke never actually forgot about what he and Kimimaro shared.
force majeur chapter 1 . 4/1/2010
Sasuke was so sweet when he kissed kimimaro and so bitchy afterward. Gr. Kimimaro had the patience of saint, really, to deal with Sasuke like that, or he might just have pretended that he loved Sasuke because Orochimaru told him to. I love this. Sweet and I did cry for Kimimaro and Sasuke had a heart after all.
bobalinabokonon chapter 1 . 1/6/2010
I may have to start reading Sasuke POV now. It's always seemed dead boring and inaccessible, but not. Trying not to gush.

On a perhaps related note, Kimimaro reminds me of high school.

I like the end. The story ended before the end, before I knew it had ended, but I knew the end was coming because I was near the bottom of the page and there was all that blood.
Cattiechaos chapter 1 . 12/30/2009
There's no way in which this review can express to you how wonderful this story is to me, but I need to at least try. Your characterization, foremost, is absolutely flawless and as natural as if these characters were your own. Sasuke and Kimimaro are both very difficult characters to pin down, but there is no doubt that you succeeded absolutely. The word choice was perfect, the observations exquisite, the storyline simply brilliant. I have spent many years as a writer and even more as a reader, and I do not hesitate to say that this was one of the best fics I've ever been lucky enough to stumble upon. Thank you for the enjoyment that you have given me through this work of art.
sleepingawake chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
Well... I love the way you write Kimmaro... I can't understand why this story has so few reviews. It was certainly no hard work of me to review this; also considering the fact that I so rarely review. Your story was written quite nicely. I could find no mistakes though I was so entranced that I would have been hard pressed to notice any faults. Please, keep up the good work. I one day hope to write as well as you.
JuugosGrrrl15 chapter 1 . 12/19/2009
Aw wow, that was excellent! I can't say anything other than just how much I enjoyed reading this!
sillypanda chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
This was beautiful, your words flow so easily and paint such vivid pictures of the characters.

I love your writing! :)
Medicinal Biscuit chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
This is an absolutely beautiful story. I love your style, and I love the irony of someone dying in the spring. Like as nature bloomed Kimimaro withered. Fantastic, great characterizations and lyricism.
HawkofLight chapter 1 . 12/6/2009
I remember reading this story two years ago or so either on livejournal or here and it was so amazing that I was pissed at the fact that I lost the link to it when I wanted to re-read it again. I'm really glad you decided to post it again because this story truly does stand the test of time. Sasuke's my favorite character and Kimimaro is one of my favorite characters, so reading such a masterful portrayal of their characterizations here was truly a treat for me. I just love the feel of this story, heart-breaking yet not really sentimental, a manner befitting of both characters in fact.

I'm a straight male and don't like reading shonen-ai/yaoi (to be honest I don't even like reading romance), but to me it's not even an issue and reminiscent of a beautiful work of art; I can only wish all "love" stories were like this.