Reviews for The Many Paths of Victory
DarkDragon360 chapter 6 . 12/25/2014
I think it's because the electricity gets dispelled into the ground with ground types and many of them do seem to be mostly made of an organic rock material. Since the electricity isn't going anywhere with flying types, it stays there and continues to damage it, but I do think there are holes in that theory because of pokemon like Flygon and Doduo. I really like your style, it's nice to see view points of where pokemon are similar to our animals.
fiendies chapter 19 . 5/9/2010
Hm, interesting.

Omar is more interesting than I originally perceived and I can relate to his thought process. After all, many of the problems he mentioned are very realistic and happen in real life. Honestly, I'm a little glad we're done with most the scientific aspects of the story; violence admittedly registers in my brain better than all this stuff on biology. I have to say I'm especially excited to see Jin and Victor battle. I think it'll be awesome.

As per usual, I have nothing to complain about.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
fiendies chapter 18 . 4/26/2010
I liked this chapter quite a lot.

Reading from Lisa's point of view was refreshing (not that Jin is boring, but you get what I mean) and I felt, as a girl myself that I could relate to her thought process much better than I could reading from Jin's point of view (although I suppose that's a given). Likewise, it's interesting to see how differently the two of them perceive the events and people around them. I love seeing how all the character relationships develop. As a side note, I couldn't help but grin when I saw Lisa admitting that she liked Jin *out loud*.

I feel like I can relate more to Prof. Zamia after reading your author's note. It somewhat helped me clear up the mechanics of his mind and the way he thinks. Particularly with him believing that pain is solely a psychological factor; my sensei is continually yelling at me that "pain and fatigue is only in your head! So suck it up!" or something along those lines. And, simply because I feel it's worth mentioning, I like Lynwood quite a lot. I hadn't given him any thought before, but reading about him in more detail now has made me change my mind.

I would indeed like to contribute to this story. Is it bad if I say I'd like to write as my own characters? I'm fine with it if you'd prefer I write as someone else, though. I'm not sure how well it would go across (you writing style, to me, is much more...refined, I suppose, than mine), but I'd definitely like to give it a try.

Alright, I'm done with my prattling now. Naturally, I can't wait for the next installment.

(As an aside [okay, I lied] it's good to hear *you* didn't take Farla's comments to heart. I did, although I suppose I was just unused to that sort of criticism. It helped, though!)
PDPJafar chapter 8 . 4/13/2010
" Although it may be inorganic, a bronzing still has processors that can be electrically overloaded."

Just wanted to point out the typo in spelling 'bronzong'.
Zombie Cat Scientist chapter 10 . 4/12/2010
I'm pretty pleased you have an older protagonist. That's a lovely and welcome change from all the teenagers in stories.

I feel that going from his point of view in first person will get you a little bit of trouble with readers, though; and it seems you have. People often confuse author opinions with their characters, and I've had trouble when writing introspective characters with people saying it makes no sense to ponder about a general and accepted facet of society (except that all interesting people do this!).

Some people also copy and paste the same review portions over and over again to many different fanfics. -cough youknowwhoyouare cough- So don't feel too offended by them.

Now, you might not like this, but I actually like Zamia except for the fact he's a bit stereotypical, and a lot of scientists in the biology field don't act that way towards their animal/living subjects (he seems to have a somewhat psychopathic side, though, in which case the behavior fits fine). I like the character depth it adds to your character by making him reluctant to kill, and having this extend to preferring it be by consent, but I actually agree with Zamia on the fetus thing. Now, the part I don't like about him, is when he started experimenting on aware individuals despite their vehement lack of consent, with no attempts to lessen their pain, and the child abuse.

Child abuse? Well, he obviously let Victor grow up to be a prick after going to the trouble of creating him. Any kid you create, regardless of their origin, should be raised properly, and he seems to have been a bit neglected. Or more like the opposite, really, and spoiled. The two aren't mutually exclusive, however. Spoiling a kid can be considered a form of neglect.

A real biologist should know that suffering, pain, and other things adversely affect the brain, health and hormonal balance. If he's trying to interact with the brain or the chemistry of an animal in any way, he should have tried to keep it under as little pain and stress as possible (especially if he wanted to increase his own health with the results). Admittedly, DNA wise, it doesn't matter too much, but if you're trying to turn someone human mentally so, he really should have known stressing out the mareep so much was stupid. It's no wonder he eventually used animals with a slow response time, they would have been less stressed out than anything else. But intelligence is linked to nervousness, actully- an intelligent animal is more likely to notice new things in the environment and explore cautiously them, while a highly low stress animal will just let you take their young and place bright, poisonous looking objects around them without caring.

Actually, I'm beginning to think Zamia isn't very bright when it comes to interacting with organisms at all- he seems more of a textbook kind of guy. If I'd been him, I'd have gone on with the tournament, required a small spit swab or blood sample from each entered pokemon to test for 'health', and then just cloned the legends to use for whatever evil purposes.

This isn't criticism except for the stereotypical part, just analyzing. If something seems off from the way you wished to portray them, that's on your half. If I misread or misunderstood something (or simply haven't gotten to a revealing plot point yet), that's on my half.
fiendies chapter 17 . 4/11/2010
My guess is that the trainers were...fused, I suppose the word would be, with the Legendary Pokemon they had captured. I wouldn't have been able to guess if you hadn't mentioned the mismatched eyes.

Anyways, amazing chapter as per usual. The description is so amazing, it feels like I've actually seen these people and Pokemon for myself. I'm not very knowledgeable in physics, so I admit some of this is a little hard for to follow. However, you're doing an excellent job of explaining everything, that, alas, even one such as myself can understand what's happening. Although I certainly didn't see Deborah being part of Team Rocket coming, I have to say that the part that surprised me most was when I found out that Ra had previously belonged to Prof. Zamia. I remember thinking that the dream Jin had had been prophetic or something, not a piece of Zamia's own memory.

I'm really excited for the next installment; I can't wait to see what happens!
Jack Krieg and James Crusade chapter 17 . 4/11/2010
So...it's been quite awhile since I've last reviewed, and read this story. But I can tell I've definitely missed out, I love how this has been turning out! The way you explained the Weezing could quite possibly have been one of the best pokemon description I've ever read. The concept of auraline is also fantastically well thought out and descriptive. I can't wait for th next installment, and I promise to review it post haste!
fiendies chapter 16 . 4/5/2010
It feels like I've missed reviewing for a few chapters of this story...if so, then sorry about that.

Moving on, this chapter was simply amazing. Reading about how you've tied in science with the world of Pokemon is fascinating. Also, I love how absolutely *human* all the characters seem, even Prof. Zamia. It is human nature to be curious about the unknown, is it not? Likewise, the scene with Jin and his grandfather was really...toughing is the only word I can think of now. My grandfather is in a similar condition (for different reasons, obviously) and he always calls me by his sister's name. I loved the twist at the end, as well.

I can't wait for the next chapter, now. Thanks for the brain food.
silentlysnowing chapter 16 . 4/4/2010
Wow, you got into some pretty deep concepts there. I'll have to reread more slowly later on if I'm going to understand half of the biological concepts, but at least the part on physics seemed sensible. Nice job with tying science together with the myths, approaching it from both sides, that was fascinating.

Might have been nice to have a bit more description and a bit less dialogue, since the monologues became overwhelming with time, but your writing was as great as always otherwise. Nice job!
Unbearab1e chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
very nice and intresting start im definatley favouriting this!
silentlysnowing chapter 15 . 3/7/2010
Mayhan must have some sort of secret weapon to be so trusting with Jin; there would be no reason to be so open with him otherwise. Can't wait to see how that is explained.

And finally we get some answers! The biological explanations were all quite interesting- I couldn't understand some of it (I'm majoring in mathematics, not a life science at all), but the main ideas were apparent, so good job there.

Zamia has become just as fascinating as was suspected! I suppose the collection of different features he has are courtesy of the many different species of Pokemon he has used to extend his lifespan? Curiouser and curiouser.

Don't feel bad about taking a break, it's always better to step away from a project for a while if it'll make the end result better. The fact that you've been updating consistently is already a wonder. Excellent job once again!
moscowmoocow chapter 14 . 2/28/2010
i think i already know what happened (human experimentation, much?)!

But needless to say I always enjoy your writing style and poor Ra fell victim to the master ball! :O

update soon and awesome job this chapter !
silentlysnowing chapter 13 . 2/21/2010
Wow- I just read this entire story today, and I'm terribly impressed. You're an excellent writer and you're doing a phenomenal job of merging the real world with the Pokemon version. Your character design is magnificent, too, as almost all of the participants are completely distinguishable (which is no easy task!).

The use of first person present still feels odd to me, but I suppose you're making it work. Style and tone are both great overall. I must have missed the part explaining chakra as I've been confused as to how Jin uses it ever since, but your descriptions of how attacks work are refreshingly unique otherwise. I've also done some guesswork of my own on what will happen soon- for example, I'm getting that Mewtwo is involved in this somehow. Nice job dropping hints ahead of time, by the way, as it makes the mystery more fun for the reader.

Fantastic job so far overall!
fiendies chapter 13 . 2/21/2010
Oh...I'm a little worried about what happened to Fell, Omar and the others now. They aren't *dead* are they? In a way, it made me feel like they were. Likewise, I'm feeling that something is incredibly off about Mayhan, it's kind of disturbing. The only grammar mistake I found was this: "Shawn and his Darkrai Resistor." There should just be a comma between "Darkrai" and "Resistor", right? Because Resistor is the name of his Pokemon, not part of the species name. That's all, really. I'm really curios as to what will happen next; can't wait for the next chapter!
midge91 chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
name: Kloud Follower

Age: 23

Occupation:He hussles pokemon battles, because although his pokemon seen weak, they are very powerful

Appearance: Long dirty blonde hair, small and feeble looking, he normally wears an untucked light green shirt and brown trousers, he has a necklace with a garchomps tooth on iy.

Personnality: He is quiet and shy despite his occupation, he likes reading and no matter what his pokemon always come first.

Pokemon: i actually hav a lot of favourite pokemon so i'll give u a list and i dont mind who u pick: Houndoom, squirtle, Mamoswine, gallade, gardevoir, glaceon, drifloon, butterfree, crobat. and i no these pokemon are strong so it contradicts his occupation, but he doesn't hussle using these particular pokemon.

And i really love your story, please pick me and i look forward to hearing the ending