Reviews for Captain My Captain
RainbowOctopus chapter 53 . 5/10
I absolutely loved this adventure.
Isabeau, this is the first fanfiction in ages that has really captured my interest and sent me on 5 hour long reading binges.
Other than having multiple people fall for her, I loved Hethlin as a character. She was strong, yet she had her doubts and fears like any other person would. Her story was intriguing and by the time I hit chapter 2, I was interested in her story.
Also, I have to say that your fic has made me fall in love with Prince Imrahil.
He is just so damn charming! I was rooting for him the entire time, and dear lord THAT KISS SCENE IN CHAPTER 48. I've read it millions of times.
Absolutely amazing work. I know for sure I will be reading your other LotR fics, especially the ones focused on our dashing pirate prince of Dol Amroth.
Thanks for the great read!
Doranwen chapter 53 . 11/15/2014
"Faramir seemed very satisfied about something all of a sudden, and I could not figure out what it was."

I can't either! Most of the time I can figure out what the strange looks are probably referring to, since as the reader I have more knowledge than Hethlin, particularly since I've read this before (and it's lots of fun going back and reading Imrahil with all that foreknowledge!). But this one, I can't figure out. Enlightenment?

(And are you EVER going to finish The Silver Swan? Or Passages? I want to know what happens next!)
Monica chapter 53 . 2/11/2014
Hethlin will always be my favourite Mary-Sue!
Alice-Ann Wonderland chapter 53 . 1/27/2014
It has literally taken me an entire year to read this. And every moment has been worth every minute. I have to tell you that I was going through some of the same emotional problems as Heth was going through in the beginning with Faramir, and I connected immediately. I have such a love for faramir and his character and you have displayed a great many details and personalities that I missed in the movies and have yet to discover in the books. I give you my highest of praise and a readers grand love. This was a brilliant work and I Do not think there are enough words for me to express my love of it. This will be on my lost of greats, only a few reside there and it will a beautiful addition. I want to thank you for putting some Much into this and creating such a great piece of literature. The emotional rollicoster you took your readers on was just magnificent. I would love to praise you more but time cries for me to read more stories and hopefully more of yours!
With great reverence,
Alice
Celira chapter 1 . 9/14/2013
Lord have mercy, it's been a decade since I first started reading this. Goodness. And upon reread, apparently I've decided that Heth ought to nest with Imrahil, and promptly dug up all of the drabbles, spinoffs, oneshots, and etc. posted on TFF to devour and covet and pine over all over again. (Judging from the Imrahil FA25 oneshot, she may not have ended up with him. Balls. Oh well.) You've been very clever with the avoidance of mentioning her spouse, offspring, etc. in Fourth Age...

But really, all this is not to be yet another demanding reviewer saying "UPDATE PLZ" or "HETH SHOULD DO _X_"- it is to say, though: Thanks so much for sharing your universe with us over all these years, and revisiting it when you do. Though someday I'd love to know just what happens to her (Leg hurt in Dale? what? wait, whaaat? I'm guessing this is the Dale trip that happens after Passages), even if it's just a clinical-sounding timeline, I'm privileged enough as it is just to have been able to read all this. Even the earliest chapters here in all their getting-their-footing. So, thanks.
Anna chapter 30 . 1/29/2013
I like this Story somehow, but (I am sorry) Hethlin is way to perfect!
Everyone likes her, falls for her or at least give her all kinds of respect. She is the best archer, she kills a Mumak easily (Blackbow), she is on the right place on the right time (Dol Amroth Yule) and all the men love her. Well, even Andrahar changes his mind about her. Sorry, that's a little to much...
loveFarawyn chapter 48 . 12/30/2012
What a total BITCH! (Hethlin, I mean)
Cerisabeth chapter 53 . 10/26/2012
I loved it! A bit irritating though that several characters fell for Hethlin. Great job!
Raindog Bride chapter 5 . 2/27/2012
i want you to know that while you are no doubt very tired of this story, and that your talent has far outstripped what it was when you wrote it, it is still one of my all-time favorites and I always find myself coming back to it every few years. More than I do some books, even. 3
watin77 chapter 53 . 2/5/2012
this story was truly, truly amazing and well wrought! kudos.

i know you wrote this nigh on ten years ago, and don't seem to be publishing in the LOTR fandom much anymore, but i was wondering if you would ever write more about the future of hethlin and prince imrahil and/or prince elrohir (if indeed either of those couples have one)?

you gave us a great ending to "captain my captain" and the story arc between heth and faramir, but i would be a very ecstatic fangirl if you ever decided to update "the silver swan." :)
Glory Bee chapter 20 . 1/3/2012
I am so enjoying your stories that here it is nearly 4:30 am and I really do not want to stop lol Your original character Heth is one of the most compelling and interesting characters I have ever read. Thanks so much for fitting in some Lothiriel and Eomer as they are my fave fanfic couple to read about. :) Your poll was many years ago but my vote for who Heth nests with is 100% for Elrohir and that he would choose a mortal life with her.
Lothloriel chapter 19 . 8/11/2011
I am re-reading "Captain My Captain" (one of my all-time favorite poems, incidentally) and just had to comment on how much I adore this line:

"I feel as if I've come in at the end of a really good story, having missed all the exciting parts that came before," I said softly, and he sighed in agreement.

Such a gorgeous bit of dramatic irony. :) I really love the character you've created in Hethlin.
TimeDetonated chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
This was a beutiful, wounderfly well done piece. The story fit together and all the caricter seemed very real with complex persinalitys and feeling of there own.

There were times when reading this that I wanted to throw my touch across the room in frustration or curl up and cry. You do a very good job letting emotion into your writing and letting us see thing from multipul points of view.

Hethlin is an exilent oc that seems real enough to be one of tolkiens works and is most definetlt NOT a Mary sue. Well done! You can really feel for her as she descovers the world and who she really is. She makes some mistakes and learns to live for herself, overcoming all her hardships... Some times I could throttle her! Although I can't blame her! Me myself would probably just go up to faramir myself, slap him across the face and force him to marry me!

The whole thing with was the house of the eagle was amazing. You created a whole culture with there own values and way of life without making it to unbelivibal and having seem vert tolkien-esk. All of you oc eagles are funny and serious at the same time.

The relationships you've created in this story are very complex and deep, leaving you rooting for multiple charicters to end up with hethlin in the end. You have beutifully portrayed imrahil and faramir so once again bravo!

Imrahil is a wounderful father figure to faramir that I've always wanted to read more about, but the world of fanfiction is very limited. You've done what alot of people try at and fail; developing a charicter beliveibly that wasn't very much used by Tolkien. The wise things you make him say are so real that you actually feel like your in middle earth, along whith the other wondurfully deep things your charicters say

I very much liked the letter sequence bettwen hethlin and faramir, even thought it's not romantic or (I think) ment to be portrayed that way, you still get a dear jhon type feel

as I have said before some of you lines are amazing, and among some of the funny ones are these;

The Steward of Gondor then looked up at me unrepentently out of his black eye, and I suddenly realized that even though I had spent four years in the company of two hundred men, and had thought that I knew all there was to know about masculine nature, there were still going to be times when I did not understand men any better than my more sheltered sisters. This was immediately confirmed by his next remark.

"What happened to YOUR face?" he asked.

She should like books and clothes and horses, since you like those things. And have a strong stomach so you can take her to sea."

"Valar, Hethlin, I might as well put a wig over a mirror and marry that!" I glowered at him.

Cease Lorend, or I'll break your other leg."

Lorend came in, and paused in the doorway. He looked at Faramir for a moment, and raised his eyebrows, then looked at me. He held his hand out.

"All right. Give it to me."

"Give you what?" I asked somewhat sourly.

"Give me the bloody errand that's going to take me halfway to Ithilien, so you can talk to him about what's bothering him, without me listening in."

"I do no such thing."

"You certainly do. So does he. All the time. The more your personal lives get messed up, the more saddle sores poor Lorend gets on his-"

"-Lorend," Faramir broke in, "Be so kind as to go down to the kitchen and have them fix some willowbark with honey in it for me. Very strong. And then, by all means, take the morning off. I'll see you again the second hour past noon."

"Well, I must say, this is an improvement! I thought I saw a pattern developing there for a while that I didn't quite like, but-"

"Lorend. Now." It was his Captain's voice, and Lorend moved. I had to chuckle a little.

But what I think was one of the best lines in the whole thing was this:

But you were going to be the Prince!" He looked a bit wistful for a moment.

"Ah, but if I'd been a player, I could have been the Prince and everyone else besides." We had come up to the horse litter, and I stood ready to give him an arm if he needed it. Arwen dismounted, ready to assist as well.

The ending of the story is wonderful and you can expect to hear from me on your sequels (although I am sorry for going on this long and I know I have multiple spelling and grammer mistakes in this review) yours with much gratituded, Rachel
Cheerfully Blue chapter 53 . 7/19/2011
Wow. That was AH-MAZE-ING! Just whoa! Wow. Unbelievable. I am in love with the skill of your writing. In love with it. You should write a book, or maybe you already have... Ah, well. But it makes me sad that I don't know who she chose in the end, or how things worked out with Elrohir (did you know that I never really showed an interest in him until this story? It was always Elladan for me. But now...). But it was still amazing and it consumed me for days when I should have been working on my band camp music or my summer homework, but I just couldn't because I NEEDED to finish reading your story.

Truly, it was brilliant and beautiful and funny and sweet and just all around amazing. I can't wait to read more about Hethlin and all the other characters. Truly amazing. I loved every word of it. You are a very gifted writer.
Nyah1 chapter 53 . 7/4/2011
I am more than glad to have found this story. It was an emotional rollercoaster in the best sense and I took great pleasure in getting to know your Hethlin. I admired her so greatly because her character qualities gave her such an inner beauty (as you made Elrohir say at some point - I loved that scene btw ), which I hope to achieve at some point in my life.

I hope I'm not being to forward in trying to compliment you, when I say, that I believe that you must be a very special person to have given so much depth to a fictional charcter.

I will remeber this for a very long time, so thanks for writing it :)

After I have submitted this review, I will explore what other stories you have in store ;)