Reviews for Captain My Captain
Nargil chapter 53 . 12/9/2003
Yay finished write more of blackbow or start the sequal soon please I wanna know more about Heth
LOTRlover chapter 53 . 12/5/2003
Ah, and so we come full circle. What a wonderful novel this has been, Isabeau. I think I said it once long ago, but it still holds true: if the Tolkien Estate ever licensed novels set in Tolkien's universe, this is the first one that should be published. My hat's off to you.
hobbitlove chapter 53 . 12/2/2003
I absolutely loved this story and was thrilled to see you had finished because I was dying to know what happened to Heth! OK, I don't think she's hanging in there long term w/ Elrohir because she tells Faramir they're 'just friends'. She doesn't like Eomer or the Prince. That leaves just Faramir and you leave a very enticing dangling 'ribbon' that they're going to wait more than a year to get married.
I have so enjoyed Heth's voyage but in all honesty, feel a little bit the way I did after Fellowship and Two Towers. In otherwords, the story is not completely wrapped up, and I want it to be wrapped up! I guess we can only look forward to your sequel.
You are a fantastic writer and I'm in awe that this was one of your first fanfics. Obviously, you should write a lot more!
Sprite Figwit's Fangirl chapter 53 . 12/2/2003
It's OVER!
*sob*
Thank you once again for writing this... now update all those other ones! :)
Personally, I think all your characters are incredibly believable; I honestly cannot think of one occasion where they have not acted as I would have expected... well maybe chapter 30 surprised me a little, but I LIKED it!
Oh, and this [I’ve no desire for Eomer. He’s a nice enough fellow, really funny, and the Valar know he’s a decorative sort, particularly first thing in the morning with only his breeches on. But aside from that and the things he would do to you the night before, what would you do with him the rest of the day?] is going to have me laughing for a very, very long time...
I think that the final three sentences are perfect for this - especially if you plan to move away from the Heth/Faramir thing in your next um... what to call them... books? :)
May your muse never desert you, and may many stars shine their light upon your path.
Amauros Thoughts chapter 53 . 12/1/2003
Ok. Right now my fingers are crossed so tightly they are white and I am PRAYING that you have continued...AHH! Im going to click on you little author name in hopes that I wont start having a temper-tantrum!
Amauros Thoughts chapter 49 . 12/1/2003
I know my repetitive complaints and comments make no difference in the long run of the story, for it is already written and I am but one reader but:
I want her to marry Eomer! Or flirt or feel some attraction to him. Elrohir is and Elf. The Prince is old...and Eomer is further North? . But yes...My vote still stands and increases in sincerity that she should "hook up" with Eomer...
Isabeau of Greenlea chapter 53 . 12/1/2003
To poor RAM the Bewildered-My sympathies on having to read all 53 chapters of the "train wreck" to formulate your opinion. I'd watch that tendency towards masochism, were I you...;-)
I don't think we're allowed to post links anyplace other than our author's pages, but if you are not a member of the Henneth Annun yahoogroup, you might consider joining and looking back through the archive. Eowyn was discussed in some depth last week, and the conversation was very interesting. The topic was also discussed in depth some months ago, but since our archive is at capacity and new messages bump the old ones, I'm not sure those posts are still there. Additionally, HASA has a closed challenge titled "Eowyn-Heroine or Deserter?" that inspired some stories you might like. My friend Altariel, whose stories are on this site, writes an Eowyn you would probably like better than mine, and I believe that Tower of Ecthelion as a sister site that is all Rohirrim stories. Hope this helps.
Tegan chapter 53 . 11/30/2003
Over the past week, I've spent countless hours readinig and enjoying this story. Much to the extent that it will be entering my list of books read. In short, I loved it.
lisa chapter 53 . 11/30/2003
I'm so glad you are going to continue Heth's story. It has been extremely satisfying so far. You've created a fabulously strong female character and fleshed her out with equally strong writing. Bravo! I've read all your stories on . Your characterization of Faramir and his family are wonderfully, heartbreakingly believable. I have "teared up" at many places in your stories. Thank you for sharing them. I only wish you were published outside of so I could buy your stories and hold them in my hand!
Here's my only beef. Your "Lothiriel" seems kinda prissy/weak to attract the attention of your "Eomer", unless he's really stupid about women (I'm trying to goad you here). Please continue their story and prove me wrong!
P.S. I'd like to vote for Heth to have a child with Elrohir and wind up married to Imrahil.
Bella chapter 53 . 11/30/2003
I have read and loved every chapter of this story and was horrified to see the words 'The End' at the end of the latest one. I hope that you will start the sequel very soon as Captain is the best story I have read on this site! Congratulations on finishing what is hopefully only the first part of a great story that has that very rare thing - a believable own character!
RAM the Bewildered chapter 53 . 11/30/2003
Congratulations. I'm amazed at how many people loved this story - even other fanfiction writers who have written some decent work themselves. I guess there's no accounting for taste. Billions of people eat at McDonald's too. I myself have been following this story for some time now. The only way I can explain this is to compare your story to a train wreck. It's sad, gross, bewildering, and disturbing, but you just can't look away. Your Helith or Hethlin or whatever the hell her name is (I like to refer to her as Hellish) is so outrageously Mary-Sue-ish it's funny. Of course, everyone has to fall in love with her (including Faramir). And of course she has to save a bunch of people's lives (including Faramir's). And of course she has to be of noble birth (and related to Aragorn)! Are you sure she's not half Elvish too? Maybe she can discover that in the sequel. Meanwhile, a strong independent heroine created by Tolkien (you know, the guy who wrote the books that you've been bastardizing?) is treated with contempt and hostility by your hellish train wreck of a character. And at last we get your honest assessment of Tolkien's beloved heroine: she's a "Horse-Wench". I suppose you also think that holier-than-thou French-Wench deserved to be toasted at the stake. (After all, Eowyn is most evocative of Jeanne la Pucelle, wouldn't you say?)
As for your "Eowyn is a deserter" argument, I respectfully (okay, maybe not respectfully) disagree. If the people of Rohan were so angry at Eowyn for "abandoning" them, why would they immortalize her in song as the "Lady of the Shield-arm"? (See ROTK, Appendix A, Part II: "The House of Eorl.") And besides that, the people of Rohan are a warrior caste - much like the culture depicted in Beowulf. It's absurd to think they'd be sniveling babies feeling "abandoned" because one of their own went off to slay an enemy that terrorized men and elves for centuries! I mean, think about it! Can you really picture these valiant men and women, who above all honor personal glory and great feats of arms, as being hurt that they were left alone?
And if you're going to condemn Eowyn for "leaving her post" and "disobeying orders," then why aren't you condemning Beregond for leaving his post (and killing a fellow soldier too!)? Beregond tells Pippin, "The Lord does not permit those who wear the black and silver to leave their post for any cause, save at his own command." Guess it was okay for him to break orders - granted he did it to save someone's life, but it was still a broken order.
Now that I have apparently pissed in your proverbial pool, let me just make peace by saying that you are obviously a very talented writer. People really enjoyed your work, so who the hell am I to judge. Best of luck to you, but I still think Eowyn could (and would) kick Hellish-I mean Hethlin's-ass!
LittleMissMuffet chapter 53 . 11/30/2003
AH! CLIFF-HANGER! must...update...next...story... :)
well, good luck! :D
-LittleMissMuffet
Neige chapter 53 . 11/30/2003
First of all, congratulations on finishing the story and those mithril awards! Thank you so much for creating a strong female original character- Hethlin is amazing. It's really refreshing to read something like this. You have a talent in writing that not many people have; I urge you to continue, both here on and in an original setting.
Hethlin is an inspiration to all of us! Thank you for writing her!
-CS
Amauros Thoughts chapter 43 . 11/30/2003
OH MY GODD! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! WHOOT!
Amauros Thoughts chapter 38 . 11/29/2003
Ok, I know this makes no difference in the outcome of the story because it's already been writtin, but it's apparent from this chapter she wont be hooked up with that wonderful hunk of manliness Eomer, but more likely with the old 'n' wrinkly Prince (no offense to him of course) I can just hope and continue to read late into the night.
882 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »