Reviews for Captain My Captain
dwelian chapter 53 . 12/7/2010
OH MY GOD. I'm not usually interested in OCs, but I have fallen veryvery hard for Heth. She has so many facets to her! This story was impossibly lovely and is absolutely one of the best LotR fanfictions I've ever come across. It was an utter pleasure to read and I wanted to thank you for sharing it with us!
anon chapter 14 . 9/19/2010
I really enjoyed the complexity and depth that was given to this story, but I must admit to being a little irritated with how perfect the main OC character seems to be.

She is related to the same group as Aragorn, she speaks to Eagles, is one of the youngest Captains and one of the best archers, and she continually knows better the minds of the main characters than they themselves do. She has been given, fourteen chapters in, no real faults.

I like reading about the people who are affected by the ring, but Hethlin doesn't seem believable to me. Everything she does, everything she is, is perfect (even when that perfection seems to be made to the detriment of other, established characters). I really liked your style, but I'm afraid I couldn't finish this.
miladyRanger chapter 14 . 9/9/2010
This is my favorite chapter of the story. "The Captain Look," indeed! That is the perfect line! I laugh every time I reread this, and again when Heth finds out that he's the King. Her reaction is priceless. Absolutely priceless. Thanks for this amazing series!
Rhyselle chapter 53 . 8/16/2010
Wow! this was an amazing tale. I can't believe that I never found it before in the four years I've been reading LOTR fanfiction.

Everything is roiling through my head right now as my mind tries to digest the final chapter of such a long fic, but I can say that there are so many lovely, exhilarating, exiting and vivid images in my mind from this tale. A few of the many include Heth's "fledging" with the Windlady; her sparring match with Eowyn, her encounter with the Witch King, and her interactions with Elrohir throughout.

I'm adding this to my favorites, and to my "re-read soon!" list!

Well done!
Denise of AK chapter 37 . 4/30/2010
Was indulging in a reread of some favorite Imrahil/Hethlin scenes ("dithering" myself rather than getting back to my chores), when this jumped out at me:

Imrahil says: "I can only think of one occasion when I have seen you do something that could be called dithering, Hethlin."

What occasion is he talking about? If I've ever known, I've forgotten...

Over six years old and this is STILL a great story!
nancylea57 chapter 11 . 1/13/2010
I did feel sorry for Eowyn, left behind in the House with naught but the hobbit Meriadoc for company. Merry was her friend, and a sweet soul,

many times i have read this story and enjoy it every time, but this time it occurs-shouldn't merry be on the way to cormallen?
cleis chapter 53 . 10/26/2009
words cannot express my gratitude for sharing all 53 chapters with us! i have only recently stumbled upon by accident your well-written, captivating and moving stories that i don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said before. i am humbled that your love and dedication for tolkien's work has lead you to write such great fiction! please continue to be enchanted with middle earth. your fic may be more than 7 years old but it is still much being appreciated today. good luck and more power!
cleis chapter 13 . 10/25/2009
wow. yep, if you can't have the steward then why not an elf lord! i'm glad you've written this chapter. i was crying after finishing the last one and this chapter just made it all better. thank you!
cleis chapter 9 . 10/25/2009
argh! but why not hate eowyn? i can feel deep loathing surfacing from the depths of my soul, harbored still from the Two Towers! but hethlin, as we all know, is so level minded that she would see a person as a whole then make her judgment. and what she sees in eowyn, is a fierce lady. i think i've calmed down enough to read more chapters! i love this story!
cleis chapter 8 . 10/25/2009
my heart has gone out for your character, hethlin. i have never had more feelings for an original character, ever! thank you for sharing her. my heart jumped to my throat upon hearing eowyn's name. i'm still shipping heth and faramir (although reading blackbow i was a pure boromir shipper). i don't know what happens in this story. i can't wait to finish this but it's 30 chapters long! if wish that you'll have a happy ending for heth... keeping my fingers crossed til the last chapter!
bellaboo13 chapter 53 . 8/25/2009
I LOVED it.

one of the best fics I've ever read.

-MEG
Torrent V chapter 53 . 7/16/2009
I know this story has been long since finished, but I can't help dropping in a review.

This story is beautifully written. The characters are well defined without being overly eccentric, and the plot is a nice reprieve from the usual "save world from [magic item]" quest.

But in the end, this felt incomplete. You developed several character conflicts throughout the story, but it seems that the only one you resolved was that of Hethlin and Faramir. I would absolutely love to see some sort of sequel to this in which Hethlin chooses to marry or not (I'm personally rooting for Elrohir, and spent last night thinking of several romantic moments in which he gives up his immortality for her in my own effort to appease my mind) and we see if the vision in Galadriel's mirror comes to fruition.

You've marked this particular story as complete, and so I don't expect it to be continued. In the end, it may very well have actually been a story about Faramir more than Hethlin. But I do hope you'll consider a sequel. After creating such a perfect character as Hethlin and integrating her so well into the LotR universe it would be a shame not to finish her story.
Zurizip chapter 53 . 5/6/2009
I know it's been forever since the story finished, but I think you'd appreciate knowing what a profound effect it's had. Some two years after first reading the whole thing, I was watching 'The Hunt For Gollum' a fan made film. Then I looked for other fan films and found 'Born Of Hope'. One of the characters in BoH is a lady ranger whose family was killed and she was allowed to join the rangers under Arathorn.

It reminded me so strongly of this story that I came back to read it, and I'm pleased to say it's Just as good, if not better than I remembered!

Congratulations again, and now I'm away to see if I luck out and there's some other stuff!
nancylea57 chapter 45 . 12/30/2008
isabeau, twice while at the hill where she refused the pale king you have typed uncle in reference to the man she is travelling with, the rest of the time he is grandfather...small owbo?
dale rodgers chapter 53 . 10/5/2008
Thank you for the story. I enjoyed your extension of Tolkien's world. You are an excellent author and I hope you are published some time. Excellent story - I just devoured it over the last couple of weeks. I look forward to reading more of your work. Thanks again. DR
882 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »