Reviews for Captain My Captain
Dark Eyes chapter 3 . 1/29/2002
I love the way you've written this. Hethlin is a really good (and convincing) character. Normally female oc’s are really in your face and tend to become all-powerful and predominant. Hethlin isn't. It's so refreshing to see a female character that isn't over the top and has an interesting insight to the things happening around her. I like the little bit about Finduilas (a very understated character) and the way you show Faramir's concern for his men and his character as a whole.
Dwimordene chapter 3 . 1/28/2002
Great insight! I like the way you bring in Hethlin's femininity without doing it in such a way that it smacks of "look at me, I'm a GIIIRRRLL!" sentimentality. She is who she is, and part of that is being a woman without peers. She's that rare bird: the woman who lives and does what men do but without either becoming one herself or (the opposite extreme) flaunting her femaleness left and right. The comparison between the amnesia during/following child-birth and battle was very well done in particular, and I like how you brought Finduilas in (I have a thing for finding unappreciated female characters and trying to expand on them, so I can't resist that little allusion).

I also like that you've tied Faramir's exhaustion and overtaxed strength to his feeling more keenly the effects of the Nazgûl's presence. His desperation comes across even though it's understated and seen through someone else's eyes, and it's all the more touching because you know that not everyone sees it. He's working himself sick (and worse) to try to save his people, and though everyone knows he's driving himself (and being driven) too hard, very few see how the stress is just tearing him up inside. Hethlin does, and I feel like she's sort of the sister he doesn't have... sort of. Maybe more of a cousin, I can't tell at the moment.

Very well done! I am already waiting for chapter 4 (no pressure or anything ;-) )...
Altariel chapter 3 . 1/28/2002
Do keep posting as quickly as you have been doing - I'm looking forward to more. This was dark, but I was glad, as you wrote, to hear more about the retreat from Osgiliath.

As for Imrahil's relationship to Faramir: there's a genealogy of the line of Dol Amroth in the History of Middle-Earth vol. XII which does indeed show that Imrahil was Faramir's uncle.
Altariel chapter 2 . 1/27/2002
Enjoying this a great deal. You've pulled off the inserted female character excellently. The bits with the chicken were great! Very touched by the affection between Faramir and Imrahil. I'm looking forward to the next installments very much.
Miss Padfoot chapter 2 . 1/26/2002
Yay! Very well done, I usually avoid original female characters but I like your

Hethlin a lot. I was always impressed in the book with how the soldiers of

Gondor love Faramir, and I think you did a wonderful job of conveying the

loyalty they all feel toward him, while also giving us an original and interesting

new character. Hope to see more from you! :)
Malon A. Lupin chapter 1 . 1/26/2002
Excellent. Please write more!
ramblergirl chapter 2 . 1/25/2002
I never used to read LOTR fanfiction simply because the book is almost sacred to me, but after seeing the film I decided to have a look. I must say I was appalled. They were all terrible. And then I found your fic, and loved it. It is very good, and not by comparison to other fics, just good in itself. It is also original, both in plot and style as you son't try to adopt JRRT's style. It's interesting, well-written, in character, and deals with one of my favourite characters. I can't wait to read more. Thank you.
Riah-chan chapter 2 . 1/25/2002
Ara! I'm impressed. A story about an original character who is not a Mary Sue, that stays true to the books and doesn't involve OOC romance! And the writing and plot are good! I'm really enjoying this story and hope to see more. I like this new character! (And I hate most original characters!) Big kudos!
the Red Nothing chapter 1 . 1/24/2002
Yay, it's FARAMIR YAAAAY! *hugs Faramir* No one loves poor Faramir anymore ;.; *laughs* Well-done!
bj chapter 2 . 1/24/2002
Yay! A story with Faramir in it! You made the characters very real, and I like your writing style! Keep working on it! .
Kit chapter 2 . 1/24/2002
High praise due for this! Startlingly well written, and Hethlin is a very convincing character - I could believe that a woman like her might actually have been in the Rangers. I hope there is going to be more of this story!
Dark Eyes chapter 1 . 1/21/2002
That was really good-yu did manage a tolkienish feel throughout the story. The ending was my favourite bit. Are you gonna continue this? Either way it's good! (*looks back at reveiw* sorry if that sounds kinda weird i've only had an hours sleep over the last 2 days-damn insomnia!)
Kayla Anasazi chapter 1 . 1/20/2002
Very good. Very well writen and good description. Always glad to have a non-slash fanfic.

Keep up the good work.
Lady Cheshire chapter 1 . 1/20/2002
ALRIGHT! Finally, A GOOD Faramir fic! this rocks dude!
Angie chapter 1 . 1/20/2002
Excellent beginning - you are planning to write more of course?

And I have a soft spot for Faramir myself!

~A~