Reviews for The Holly and the Ivy
talk-ape chapter 5 . 2/21/2012
so good! lovely retelling
sash queen of the jungle chapter 5 . 1/4/2011
Thank you for completing this series. It was a really nice series I really liked the coupling of mr carter and miss gillsope.
Siggy chapter 5 . 1/3/2011
A lovely and fitting end to this seasonal tale of Cranford. A nice reminder of the true meaning of Christmas.
Solo Lady chapter 5 . 1/2/2011
What a lovely way to conclude this story and to close out our own holidays. I like that you focused on the character of Maulver, since we really didn't see much of him in the series. I like his observations of Lady Ludlow and Mr. Carter. And then you move on to young Harry and his mother, showing how much Job's release from jail meant to them. And finally to the constable, who is pleased by the acts of kindness (charity?) extended to the Gregson family by Lady Ludlow and Sir Charles.

Of course, my favorite scene was between Lady Ludlow and Mr. Carter, acknowledging the season and their relationship - and a kind of friendship. I especially loved the line "however impassive her steward's countenance, however brusque his words, she might read his heart as easily as her own prayer-book." That made me smile.

One act of kindness, so many reactions, so many moved by it. Just a lovely story all around.
theHuntgoeson chapter 5 . 1/2/2011
What a wonderful concluding chapter. As always, the way the viewpoint shifts from one character to another, with their different preoccupations and views of the situation, is masterly. To the irritable Sir Charles, the dispatch of a poacher is a minor matter, but to Lady Ludlow, Mr Carter, and above all to Job and his family, it is a matter of life and death. The shifts in the relationships between Mr Carter and Harry ("Mr. Carter didn't smile at that, but he didn't seem cross anymore either."), and above all between Mr Carter and Lady Ludlow, are so sensitively drawn. You have the way of showing the importance of small things to the people whom they affect. And the concluding vignette of Graves at his fireside is a perfect way of rounding off the story. Thank you for finishing this before the end of the festive season!
Xiilnek chapter 4 . 11/28/2010
Given the last update was months ago, I take it this isn't going to be continued. That is the only bad thing about this story - it's well written, in character, and interesting. Wonderful. I've enjoyed it a lot, even though I might never see the conclusion. Thank you.
Symphony In Blue chapter 4 . 8/23/2010
You have such a beautiful style of writing, and you stay true to the actual story and to the series. I really hope you'll update this story soon!
Symphony In Blue chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
I love Cranford, and I love well written fics about it. This one's off to a very good start, very well written, and I'm looking forward to the next chapters!
talk-ape chapter 4 . 7/7/2010
yayyy interesting
Solo Lady chapter 4 . 6/13/2010
How wonderful of you to provide us with a return trip to Cranford! I've missed these good people - especially Mr. Carter. I liked seeing the events of that Christmas from his point of view: his disappointment in Harry, even while defending the boy; his prospect of a quiet (lonely?) Christmas Eve; his curiosity about Lady Ludlow's summoning him. And I laughed at Mr. Carter's memory of the first time Harry entered the office. Thank you for updating - and, as you said, it's nice to think about Christmas in the middle of this heat.
Siggy chapter 4 . 6/13/2010
No heatwave here alas, but I still enjoyed this unseasonal visit to Cranford. Some lovely touches and insights - am especially fond of visits to Mr Carter as you will know so this hit the spot.
theHuntgoeson chapter 4 . 6/13/2010
Thank you for updating this! I was so afraid that it would be laid aside until next Christmas. Mr Carter's sense of betrayal is brought out very strongly, but so too is his sense of being a second father to Harry, most especialy as he has no children of his own. At the end of the chapter, you give us a poigant image of two childless people, destined to spend a lonely Christmas, unite to bring a happier Christmas to a despairing family. Even though we know that there will be a happy ending, it does not lessen the feeling of urgency that you have created, so please write more soon!
Thenidiel chapter 3 . 2/11/2010
Nice story - I love reading about all of the different points of view
springwaltz chapter 2 . 1/8/2010
Oh, goody! Written from the point of view of Harry (one of my favorite characters!). The supper scene at the Gregsons is very beautifully described. It is a small affair but shows a warm, loving and close-knit family. And I see where the title of your story, "The Holly and the Ivy" is taken from!

My thoughts on the "case". I felt Job to be innocent. I don't think he's capable of such violence on another human being. There must be a violent thief out there somewhere and I hope he is unveiled and captured soon or Cranford will not be safe for ANYONE. Who is this guilty person? Maybe an outsider?

It was a happy and proud occasion for Job taking his wife and children to the Johnsons' store for shopping. But it was disheartening reading how the family is looked-down upon by the proprietor and his wife. They are prejudiced against Job and probably do not want his custom. Reading the scene, I felt sad that events will spiral out of control for the Gregson family soon since Job will be arrested later (as revealed in Chapter 1). And then there's Harry, feeling uncomfortable at the Johnsons': "At another time Harry might have laughed at that, but on this day he couldn't, not when he knew how Dada had got all his money". Oh dear! Makes me wonder too where/how Job got the "brass" from.

Coming towards the end of the story, I was most pleasantly surprised by Lady Ludlow's visit to the Gregsons' house. And Harry's observation: "... she did not look so very fearsome at all. She looked sad." What an accurate description. Lady L is a lonely soul and there is a lot she can't tell people or express because of her social position. I understand her character better now... sorry I didn't before.

When Sir Charles, the magistrate arrived at the jail, I felt and understood Harry's fear that his father will be sent to 'the ships' that very night, and on Christmas eve too! Indeed, it is the "darkest night in December" for the Gregson family.

I'm excited to read the continuation of the story. Good thing Chapter 3 is up! :-)
Siggy chapter 3 . 1/8/2010
I am most remiss in reviewing this lovely seasonal Cranford tale - I really must get my alerts in order.

However, with the snow still deep and crisp upon the ground, this story still fits the seasonal chilly mood and each vignette is pefectly characterised and perfectly formed.