Reviews for Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?
Alexandria Forever 21 chapter 1 . 6/27/2014
So this is how it all began... I'm sure, by now, you're fully aware of how much I love your pairing of Glimmer and Gloss (and how saddened I am that they could never have their happy ending). I know Glimmer hasn't been the main focus in the majority of your works, but I still enjoyed reading from her perspective in this lovely one-shot. I can never get enough of your takes on the District One characters. ;)

I've learned a lot about your Glimmer from reading 'Dream of Freedom' and 'Undimmed' but it's interesting to read her thoughts directly from the heat of the moment when she's inadvertently volunteered herself for the Games. It goes to show how demanding life in One can be, and I liked the internal struggle to face reality and to cope with getting dragged into something she wanted no part in.

Beauty as a detriment. I can't say I'd ever thought of that prior to reading your 'Freedom' trilogy, and even though there were plenty of instances where Cashmere doubted her beauty as a blessing, it seems even more tragic for Glimmer, who hardly acknowledges the benefits of having a stunning face and a lush body. Although she isn't above using her radiance to get what she wants, she isn't necessarily pleased by it, and Glimmer doesn't seem to bask in her superior looks in the way Cashmere herself did before her own Games - though however much of it was a façade and how much was real, I'm not certain.

It was nice to see Cashmere at the beginning, even if only for a moment and one line. I love the parallel drawn between her and Glimmer. While Cashmere acknowledges her brief protégé as even prettier than herself (if I correctly recall from 'Dream'), Glimmer concedes to Cashmere's superiority in regards to social play. I may be over-analyzing this , but I still enjoyed seeing the subtle similarities in the way they view each other, especially when most Hunger Games fans view them as carbon copies, since Suzanne Collins never went into good detail about either of them, especially Cashmere, unfortunately.

But enough of my fond comparisons to Cashmere. ;) I thoroughly enjoyed getting a brief glimpse into the mind of the girl not even Cashmere could fully comprehend. There's only so much she and Clove could presume from their observations, so it's wonderful to look into the conflicted mind that is Glimmer's. She's certainly beautiful, but she's far from stupid, and I can totally understand her wanting to be alone. She doesn't see it as the perfect opportunity to gain fabulous luxury and wealth beyond even District One's wildest imagination, but as something she was all but forced into.

I know I have a tendency to overuse the words 'love' and 'really like' but I LOVED reading on the Glimmer/Gloss dynamic from the tribute girl's angle. 'Dream' shows how much Gloss cared for her, and 'Undimmed' reveals how 'iffy' Glimmer is toward him, even though we know she does indeed feel something for him, even if to a lesser or less-developed degree. But I liked seeing how their relationship first started. I've always admired Gloss's ability to instantly open up and care for those he has the heart for. (Is it weird that I admire a fictional character? It probably is, isn't it? :P ) And I found it adorable that he developed a crush on Glimmer from the start.

Their first encounter reminded me a lot of the first conversation between Cashmere and Falco. The man wants to know more about the uncooperative girl, and the uncooperative girl is particularly skeptical of the man because they aren't used to meeting people who have no malicious ulterior motives. It's a parallel that I especially appreciated.

I truly wish there were more stories about Glimmer and from her point of view. Her backstory, her inner stuggles, her complicated relationship with Gloss, all of it is so intriguing, and I would've loved to learn so much more about such a magnificent character.

It may have been short, but this one-shot was more than satisfying to me. Yet it still makes me crave more. ;)

Alex
Zeviz chapter 1 . 3/30/2012
I like the depth you give to a character who was just a barely memorable antagonist in the original book.
fully dead now chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
You put Gloss in here; that is great.

Cashmere steals the spotlight too much.

I'm not sure that I entirely like your Glimmer, as she is too nice deep down for my tastes, but my tastes are wretched: my indecent spawn is indecent to the rest of the world too.

The dispute between Gloss and Glimmer wasn't too forced, which is good: it seemed real enough.

This is over? You sure? ;X
Penelope Wendy Bing chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
Interesting. I don't quite get the ending, but it has the right feeling to it. You know the one.

-P.W. Bing
LoveTheBoyWithTheBread chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
I LOVED that!

It was amazingly detailed and realistic. It was great.

I have a fascination with Glimmer, so I really liked reading her like this.

Smart and angry at not being seen for who she really is. I love it.

Great job!

-Mel
Spoofty chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
Aw, this is a really cute one-shot. Lol District 1 names are so demented..."Gloss" as a male name! :P poor guy.
addicted-roxe chapter 1 . 2/5/2010
my! i am in love with the couple. not much of a couple but i really like it. and i know how you feel about writing one shots and not continuing your chapter 12. it's the exact thing im doing now. but with clove. hehe. nice story!
foxforever23 chapter 1 . 12/13/2009
Wow, this is great! The Glimmer you have created is very original and I like her more than any other Glimmer I've read from on this site (or any site to be honest). I like how she automatically assumes that Gloss is trying to hit on her. I also have always liked how she wishes that she wasn't as beautiful. I was so sad when she died! Now you're making me crave a Glimmer story. But I can't force you into anything.

FF23
wsxokn chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
Amazing. You just human-ified Glimmer for me.
Kesoliai chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
I loved it! Are you gonna continue? I think out of the few fan fiction stories I've read you have done virtually everything right. The voice of the character is so relatable and it's nice to see Glimmer in a light where she's not ALL about her looks. Also sadly Gloss is a nice guy. You need to continue! Lol i wish you would, but it was GREAT! 5 stars bravo
gethsemane342 chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
And why are you not continuing this? Come on, you have a great story, right here. Finish it :D

So, yeah, i like it but it really does feel like an unfinished story and not a oneshot so my advice would be, alter it to make it more complete OR continue it. And i really am being serious about that.

Keep on writing,

Geth (who's favourite character is still Glimmer)
be-nice-to-nerds chapter 1 . 12/9/2009
So this is what you were working on...

I like it, though I have mixed feelings about seeing the reaping replays (again!). They are a touch re-used, since you make everyone notice C and C and their relationship (Ok, Lysa and now Glimmer, so I guess it doesn't count) I like dteh take on D2 from a richer perspective, which was good. Also slightly dissapointed you didn't go higher than Levi, but also glad 'cause it'd be a touch too overused.

Overall though, I liked it. :)

Especially the last line

BNTN
Andalee chapter 1 . 12/9/2009
Is this a oneshot or the beginning to a story? because either way, it's FANTASTIC! :D