Reviews for The Salt Pillar and the Sugar Cane
smock chapter 1 . 9/14
I love this write. It's exactly how I have been feeling about their complex beginning.
Cosmic chapter 1 . 8/17
This fanfic is life. Very close to characters. The description is on highest level, i looooveed it! I want continuation! You could really write proper books.
panda glasses chapter 1 . 5/12
omfgods what the yes gust yes
K chapter 1 . 2/27/2015
This is beautiful and so artfully worded.
Barb chapter 1 . 1/27/2015
Totally incredible! I'm new to Joker & Harley Quinn fandom but this is so sexy without being graphic, with such clever and beautiful prose.
SweetToothForLife chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
Oh dang that was amazing!
mr j chapter 1 . 3/12/2014
this was well written
peanut brickle chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
Wow. This is really good. Though I'm sure you knew that already! ;D I really love fics where Harleen questions and ultimately surrenders to Joker, when they're well written, they can make you think. I have to wonder what your teacher thought when s/he read this! It seems so obvious to me, but I have to wonder... Hmm, maybe I shall to try that with the next creative writing assignment... Thank you! Not only for the nice idea, but for the amazing prose. I LOVE it!
The Illegible chapter 1 . 12/9/2009
WOW. This is truly outstanding! Every line was crammed with exquisite imagery-I think you honestly captured the essence of Harley and Joker's relationship here.

Now. I'm not completely sure where to begin with this review, but here are the bits that most leapt out when I read:

"His face, intolerably long, turned toward her, much faster than she would have allowed. She saw the aquiline nose, then the ivory cheekbone, then the curling lips that rendered her silently choking. They moved, deliberately, nastily, lovingly, into a smile and then parted and showed her a magnificent yellowed crossbite. She had never seen a human with a crossbite before. She never realized until then that she had always wanted to."

LOVE that you managed to describe such a physically unattractive man in a manner that seems beautiful, in its own way. Also, giving the Joker animalistic traits is both fitting and original. Bravo.

"She became obsessed with his skin, bloodless textile turned white as his maker stretched it to cover his bones; she examined his toothpick limbs, moving with a humorous creak whenever he shifted to rotate an ankle or extend a forearm past the elbow; she bathed in his voice, the deep swagger of his syllables, and found herself sympathizing."

Paying attention to multiple parts of the body in such deliciously graphic ways-magnificent. I'm especially excited that you paid attention to how he speaks as well as how he looks.

"Yes, she sympathized. He told her vague, blackened-heart stories of child abuse, broken homes, barren betrayal. She knew each one must be fabricated but she rubbed that fabric between the fingers of her mind and wore it like a wedding gown."

Not only does this sound gorgeous on an superficial level, you also managed to make clear that Harleen Quinzel knew better. She's not stupid. The fact that she is aware that he's lying but loves even this aspect of him is so much more powerful than her simply buying into everything J says. Plus your simile was stunning. :-)

"In one dreamy flash, she would picture, in the vast black expanses of her mind, the claim, the consummation; he would rock her like an infant’s cradle, fingernails forming thin red half-moons in her back that would trickle with terrified life, whispering genocidal threats into her ear canal, gentle and jagged, at the same time brushing the crest of her ear with his animal teeth; and a quaking from the depths of her being would begin, rolling inside her body and forcing her to snap her thighs together for fear of doing something rash."

The stream of consciousness style in this sentence worked perfectly with Harley's nightmare-fantasy. You managed to blend terror and adoration without negating either, which is a tricky thing to accomplish.

"She wanted to hear the voices in his head."

PHENOMENAL closing line!

If I'm to offer any critique at all, it's that there were a couple of grammatical oddities (spellbound instead of spellbounded, for example) and maybe a few confusing commas...but those are incredibly minor things compared to how outstanding this story was.

Without pulling full quotes, I’m also smitten with the "white spider of a hand", “her innards turned into a warm thick caramel and ran together down her ribcage”, and (okay, one more full quote) "He talked and talked, saliva slicking his inside bottom lip, his voice causing the room to swell and press against its bars."