Reviews for Before the Storm
Fredryck chapter 1 . 8/27/2014
Just incredible. I really enjoyed reading this, and am glad to have stumbled on the story almost casually! It is a way of interpreting Nagato's character which I'm quite fond of.
The Reality DumPer chapter 1 . 3/17/2012
Nagato really is more bored looking than Haruhi...getting rid of books? Unlikely Nagato.
vampirelover43v3r chapter 1 . 7/19/2011
i really like this story but i wish nagato would've said something nice,in the end i ended up in tears anyway cuz she couldn't think of anything from her heart so she just had to close the door,but seriously right now i have my tissues next to me
SamJaz chapter 1 . 8/28/2010
Ouch. Good work.
The Mystic Doctor chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
Poor Nagato. I hadn't thought of it, but such a change after so long would certainly be a shock. It'd definitely be impossible for anyone else to understand, so I can see why she can't believe what Kyon says, even if she might want to. It's a shame that she couldn't do anything but observe, either...
too lazy to login chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
somehow..this seems even sadder as i listened to packaged- piano vr
enderverse chapter 1 . 2/24/2010
Cool I had sort of figured that since she was a robot or something that she had just put herself on autopilot and turned off her mind.
BrazeRancor chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
A biting blend of sweet and incredibly heart rending. I salute you.
A Philosopher with a Pen chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
First, I would like to say that this is an interesting take on Nagato. At times, I would tend to agree with some of your other reviewers about Nagato being out of character, but considering how little we know about her inner thoughts, it is hard to actually make that claim. Even her dialogue with Kyon isn't really a problem because, as I took it, this was a rare moment (referring to "I hate it.") in which Nagato expressed more than her usual bland, just-the-facts response. They are present in the light novels, so I wouldn't fault you for having one pop up here. The story is specifically about Nagato after all.

Second, I want to commend you on writing a fic that focuses on the psychological side of the characters. There will always be dozens of fics, especially Haruhi fics, that revel in the insanity of the plot (I've contributed my fair share), so it's nice to look inward every now and then, especially when the introspection is willing to reveal something to the reader or make a statement.

Finally, as a literature buff, I want to say that your choice to use Waiting for Godot is perfect for this fic. It adds a touch of subtle meaning for those who are familiar with the story (or those who are willing to look it up).

Good work.
Arty d'Arc chapter 1 . 12/15/2009
Oh, I loved this. Just a fabulous look at Nagato, as well as what makes Kyon so very awesome: that hidden compassion that never seems to come out but smacks you across the face when it does. My only criticism, if any, is this line:

"Yes, you dull human, it makes sense now, doesn’t it?"

While it makes sense from Kyon's perspective, it sounds all sorts of strange in a Yuki POV. It's a minor nitpick though, and the story truly is wonderful.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Shizuru chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
I d'awd. A lot.
HarimaHige chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
Very interesting story. I hope there is more.
lazyguy90 chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
Great work on this. Nicely done, keep at it.
einootspork chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
Aw, Kyon, as aloof as you act, you're really such a sweetheart, aren't you? Nagato tends to bring out that side in him... especially in fanfiction :P

I agree that Nagato seems a little OOC, but it's not story-breaking. It still made me think a bit about Endless Eight where I hadn't thought before. Poor Nagato.
Aster Selene chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
Hm...

Good things: You portrayed Nagato's pre-Disappearance instability very well, as what led up to her "nobody understands" mentality. Disappearance was probably triggered in whole by Endless Eight.

Criticism: Nagato's too blatant in her emotions - she's too firm in what she believes. It's implied that right before Disappearance she was actually unsure about who she was and what she was feeling. She's also a bit too direct to Kyon. She wouldn't say her feelings blatantly like that; the farthest she ever got was "I don't want to" in Intrigues.

Otherwise, a good story and I look forward to more from you.