Reviews for By Any Other Name
FluxBlade chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
I liked it, does well to fit in with the other stories, shows that Marth isn't seen by everyone as the next coming of Light. Though I do like how he sees that Marth can surprise him and is willing to change his mind.

Liked the comments on the other free knights and some of their side activities. And how they were planning to help the Empress, who just ups and leaves them. Good show of how it felt to be a sucker punch.

Yep, sounds like Marth got a bit wiser, though unfair to George, the whole ambush him with the promotion, so could see an advisor suggesting it or his beau- brave queen. Also had to laugh at seeing Marth's reaction to his being asked to marry. That fit well, good news is always good for him.

I say this fic works in if someone is not looking at how it does fit together, that it takes a while but life is improving for them. That and the wedding with Lena and Julian as the witnesses adds to the world changing.

Palla is the Governor-General, and Catria is his Dragonknight Commander.

Thanks for the fic.
Shimizu Hitomi chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
I'm so behind on reviewing. But seeing you post this made me really happy. XD

First: Castor as Caeda's personal spy. AHAHA. I totally see it.

I love the way you trace the changes in Minerva, and the way you tie in the change in dynamics with the peg sister trio. It's probably the most obvious shift in game - the difference in Catria's death quote between books 1 and 2, and then the character endings where Palla and Cat continue to rebuild Macedon while Minerva withdraws. Love the image of the plants turning toward the sun especially.

George's sense of loyalty is so fascinating - his perspective is probably one of the most nuanced or at least sensible takes on it in game. (Probably my favorite Book 2 scene is the one where he kicks some sense into Astram. Or tries to.) So I really like his disillusionment re: Nyna, and his ambivalence towards Marth. Because yeah, definitely see that happening... (like you, I got the impression that the reasons stated in fic were behind his creation of the Free Knights.)

And ouch, the way the Free Knights thing turns out in the end - though it's very, very believable and in character. Midia/Astram becoming the "picture perfect" post-war family. (I can't help but feel kind of cynical about the pairing, though granted I think they have a chance of working out better than their trope-descendants in FE7, Harken/Isadora.) Gordin still hanging on.

But the whole last section is just lovely. Quiet, subtle romance FTW... And Minerva finally coming to terms with herself and who she is. (because hiding herself away in a convent is just depressing in terms of what it says about how book 2 events and her "failure" must have affected her.)

Kind of funny btw that we both hit on amaranth as a symbol - I was going to use it in part two of Glass Darkly, though not as such an overarching theme. Also I think I used it in a more cynical context, but I have to admit, I haven't looked at what I've written in a while.
Pen and Paper71 chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
A happy ending? I am shocked. :P

I'm rather surprised that I enjoyed this as much as I did. I found this surprisingly convincing and realistic. I can't deny that I had my doubts when I read your choice of pairing, but you managed to pull it off quite nicely, so I applaud you.

As a guess, the Dracoknight Commander is Catria.