Reviews for The World Below the Mists
elsa3beth chapter 1 . 1/18/2015
beautiful story - I loved your portrayal of all characters, but especially Glorfindel and is angsty past in Gondolin
Petrichora chapter 1 . 7/14/2013
I'm glad that at least someone writes a decent Glorfindel! :) It's a shame that he got left out of the movies. Asfaloth made it in, though, so I guess that's something.
sassyfriend chapter 1 . 7/19/2012
Please keep going!
triolet chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
I really liked this but most especially: "and turned a steely glare on the offender who had tried to dose him with miruvor", which thinking about it made so much sense. Some things just don't taste better or right as you get older. And a most hopeful Erestor. Thanks.
Rivergift chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Your stories are all typically amazing, so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that this one is, too! I truly loved it, the repetitino of the wraith comment and the whole insight into the deeper implications of Gandalf's fall... I certainly never thought of that! But that just goes to show how good you are. Thanks for sharing this!
Arandil chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
As always, a well written and thought-provoking story (that I FINALLY got around to reading). I love your subtle humor (The recurring comparison of Glorfindel to a wraith and Erestor voicing the "Again?" that Glorfindel wished to). The story drew me in and, like your other gapfillers, fleshes out the world and the story so beautifully it is a pleasure to read.

It also begs the question - at least in my own, Legolas-centric mind, how *did* he name the balrog, this possibly youngest of all the elves? What is the story behind that? I'd be interested in reading that one too... (hint hint)

Take Care,

Arandil
Marchwriter chapter 1 . 4/21/2010
A well-crafted and insightful piece both into Glorfindel's character and into the neat gaps Tolkien left behind for us to explore. I'd never thought that Mithrandir's fall was not only a cause for personal grief at the loss of a good, wise friend but also a source of fear, given what he held. Glorfindel is an excellent messenger. His anguish so poignant, I felt like a wraith by the end.

As always, your work is very well done and so evocative!

Best,

Marchwriter
AliKat7 chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
I've heard such good things about this one I had to come and check it out. I wasn't the least bit disappointed! It certainly lived up to all the hype. You're writing in fabulous and I love your characterizations as well. You gave such a voice to the eagle. Very moving and powerful work. Plus the idea of the Balrog gaining the ring is an awesome one, I cannot believe no one has ever thought of it before!
Starset chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
Once again you have given us a rare treat. My heart lights up whenever I see a new offering from you in my inbox. Thank you so much. (pressure of Christmas has kept me from my computer for ages!)
Virodeil chapter 1 . 12/21/2009
A great story! A great gap-filler to read; one that no one ever attempted, or so I reckon. The style of writing matched the story perfectly; it was Tolkien's all over. LOL And the references to Glorfindel's first life was pretty... neat, to say the least. They were vivid, but they also shaped his personality in this story very well in addition to it. The atmosphere of gloom, dread, secrecy and uncertainty could be felt easily, almost tangible. Conversations were few, but the words - most of them - bore meanings and messages far greater than they looked to be. An excellant piece overall, and it was rather long too! A rather large treat. Thank you for sharing this fiction online. Glorfindel is one of my most favourite characters of all times, and you wrote him pretty well here. Again, thanks. I love this story. :)

- Rey
Ranuel chapter 1 . 12/17/2009
This is incredible. You've got insights into these characters and this situation that have never occurred to me in 30 years of being a LotR fan. This is the best Glorfindel story I've read.
Mia-philosephet chapter 1 . 12/17/2009
Wow, once again you have managed to bring forth a magnificent glimpse of a significant event that must have happened, yet does not make it into Tolkien's actual work. I love these little nudges to look at things from another perspective. _ Glorfindel's reaction and connection to Gandalf's fall is one I had never before considered. Great touch! Always a pleasure to read one of your stories! (PS- I would still love to find out what happens in the end of some of your longer stories, particularly Land of Light and Shadows :)

You are truly a masterful storyteller!

Mia
MissQuigley chapter 1 . 12/17/2009
What a beautiful surprise to see in my inbox. Awe inspiring as usual! Your stories always are, though this one seemed more subdued and sad instead of bittersweet or hilarious.

My particular favorite was the paragraph where the Eagle landed in front of Glorfindel. I could actually 'see' that scene play out like in a movie. It was fantastic piece of description.

Glorfindel's answer to the greeting was priceless. Have I ever told you that Fanfiction's Glorfindel is my fav character in the whole series?

May I make a request? Could you possibly write a short story to explain this particular threat?

Elrond had done little more than watch the sky, foregoing even food and drink until Erestor threatened to recite the Lay of Leithian in Entish should he refuse to break his fast.

Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
Oh, this was wonderful! I absolutely love your portrayal of Glorfindel, and the entire story has a very Tolkienesque feel to it.

I'm going to consider this an early Christmas present to me, and I thank you for it.
Levade chapter 1 . 12/13/2009
Oh, I'm so glad I found this and your stories again! This is Glorfindel as I wish everyone could see him (and yes, I have a particular fondness for that Elf). It's also a piece of LotR we don't see. What was going on in Imladris? I think you nailed it. You're good at that, finding the spots Tolkien hinted at but never showed and writing a story that both engages and delights even as it makes the reader think. I was glad Peter Jackson gave us a look at Ganalf's battle. Such ancient enemies and it went almost unnoticed!

Thank you again for another terrific tale. I always look forward to what you come up with and you never disappoint.

Peace,