Reviews for Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
InuGome chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
Oh, yes. Fab's the word.. and awesome! And blessed! And amazing! And... oh, boy, everything good! All because God wanted him to create this wonderful world called Narnia.. that is, indeed, more than a make believe.

This, exactly, is our dream for the poor, lost Gentle Queen. And I believe that someday, she'll find her way home. And see? She did here! In this great piece! Truly, He is ever Faithful. More faithful than anything or anyone!

God bless you more and more for fwriting this wonderful fics!
LilyMaeve chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
OH MY GOSH. I just bawled! It is amazing! You have a definite gift! Keep on going!
sM chapter 1 . 12/12/2011
I started to tear up at the end. I would love for it to end this way for Susan, because if not, her life is so hopeless.
CuriousInEverySense chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
I agree; everyone should write a Susan fic (I'm outlining mine currently :D )

I like the way that you brought in a jealousy as part of her reason for denying Aslan and Narnia; I hadn't seen that done before. It was also clear in your writing that, sicne she could not have Narnia the way she used to, she made the choice to take up or pursue after the things that she felt she still could have. It was interesting to follow her thought processes.

My only complaint is that this feels a bit short; a little rushed. But you probably meant it to be a small glimpse of Susan's mind, so it might not matter that it feels like it blows by quickly.

Very good overall!
The World's Best Auror chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This was beautiful. I've always wondered what happened to Susan after the Last Battle. Your story was awesome.
The Heroine With 1000 Faces chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
beautiful. the straightening of her back line always gives me happy chills :)
Slytherin's Dark Cub chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
Cool story, is there going to be another chapter or is it just a one-shot? S
fledge chapter 1 . 12/13/2009

Just one example of your excellent style that has not in the least suffered fom your absence. Welcome back!

The various stages of Susan's estrangement are presented so very believably, and it's impossible to blame her for trying to deal with her hurt this way. Of course it must annoy her to hear about Eustace the git as she knows him being granted a favour she has been yearning for. And of course it will be the last straw when Eustace of all people gets to go back with someone who isn't even a menber of the family. To describe Jill as a "nameless girl" rather than give her name is a very clever idea.

The final scene is heartbreakingly beautful, how she proceeds from mindless rage to final acceptance and thus (a kind of) redemption is presented in an amazing way.

Congratulations on the title, too. How did you come to think of it?

I'd like to wish you a very happy Christmas and I do hope to see you around here more frequently again!
Mrs. Majere chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
Oh wow! That very nearly made me cry! Finally this explains what happened to Susan after the Last Battle! I just wish there were more! When i read The Last Battle I wondered...what the heck happened to Susan? It's as if after the other three went to Heaven or whatever it was, they all forgot about Susan...and she shouldn't ever be forgotten! Ok, so, thanks for writing this...it really made me realize things. Bye.
Sivaroobini Lupin-Black chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
Oh goodness, this was lovely. I did not like the brief treatment of Susan in the books, and you did a wonderful job, portraying her depth and her anguish and sorrow. The reason why she forsakes Narnia is understandable and forgivable, here, and I felt so horrible for her.

Particularly the bit about the magic she learnt in America, taking the place of the air and water of Narnia, to make her beautiful. So sad and sweet. And the ending was PERFECT. Wonderful job!
Rosa Cotton chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
Welcome back to the fandom dear Estella! *hugs* I thought this was heartbreakingly beautiful. Your characterization of Susan was wonderful: progressing from being the Gentle Queen in our world to being so bitter and angry that her feigned confusion becomes real, to the quiet, almost missed moment when she is the Gentle Queen again, returning to her Highest King.

Your description and style here were very good. These passages stood out to me:

"When she hears that Lucy and Edmund have been to Narnia, Susan does her best to be happy for them. After all, who could begrudge...? But then she hears the words Eustace and dragon and redemption, and she has not been so angry in a long time. That she, the Queen of Narnia, had been passed over, for... for him! Eustace is petty and childish and obnoxious, and he will never, ever see the beauty in her country that she used to. A nagging, aching bitterness tightens around her heart, and she does not fight. Just this moment of self-pity; it will soon pass, and she will be comfortable again.

"Standing away from the mirror, Susan is quite satisfied with herself. Her lips are red, her skin is pale, and her hair pools dark around her shoulders. It is a type of magic she learnt in America; perhaps, in another world, the air and the water were sufficient to make her unique. Here, she helps the process along a little, and she feels almost like a princess. It is better, she thinks, than nothing. For a fleeting instant, she sees the phantom of a tall, dark, gentle queen lurking in the room with her; the presence irritates her, and she shakes her head to clear she cannot be a queen here, she will still be unique, and men will still pay her court."

Wonderful job done. :)