Reviews for I Have a Little Dreidel
inhonoredglory chapter 2 . 6/6/2011
Again, so sweet. The scene early on with Hogan telling the men of his plan was really great, especially having Kinch's letter tell the men the answer to their question. Nice! Poor Lebeau had to eat from the mess hall, but it was sure cute watching them all eat there. You never see that happen much! The scene with Carter and Hogan was so touching. The dialogue and brief narrative is perfectly done. And Hogan's speech to the Jewish POWs at the end was so real. Such a lovely little story. I appreciate the bibliography and the notes about your personal life. All very interesting and enlightening. Thanks.
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 6/5/2011
Ah, nice to get back to your old work finally. I love the beginning in medias res, in the middle of Hogan’s reading the book and not knowing what he was reading. That’s such a perfect description of boredom, so unique and real! I still love your style and ways with description. I really love paragraph three. The sentences are nicely varied and paced, and they flow beautifully.

And I always love seeing Hogan so considerate of his men. It was nice to watch him interact with the other barracks leaders. We don’t see that all the time and it was interesting to read. Did you get any of the names from the show, like McMahon, the meteorologist, and Saunders? Just curious.

I also like the way you alluded how this story takes place early on in the season, where Carter is still getting used to “his new C.O.” while another prisoner had come in with Newkirk. Little things that tie in the Heroes with real life. I love Hogan’s little pep talk at the end. I can so envision his monologue while staring at the dreidel, and I can’t wait to see what happens with them. I always love your Jewish stories. Now, on to chapter two!
Marie1964 chapter 2 . 10/7/2010
Thank you for writing this story. It's nice to see Hogan as his usual self- wanting to make sure that every man felt included.
waikiki23 chapter 2 . 4/8/2010
Very good story, Kudos to a wonderful story!
Lynda chapter 2 . 1/18/2010
This was great. It acctually choked me up a little.

Thanks for writing such a great fic.

Lynda.
konarciq chapter 2 . 12/30/2009
Hahahahahahahahahaha! So growing up in one of the most densely populated countries of the world equals growing up in an isolated area? I was really glad when I read Carter asking about what Hanukkah actually meant, AND THEN YOU JUST SAY THAT HOGAN TOLD HIM WHAT HE KNEW? Thats cruel, now I still dont have a clue!

Btw: sunset at 4 in the first week of December is rather too early for that altitude. Would be closer to 5, Id say.
konarciq chapter 1 . 12/30/2009
Lookout practice? "I need something to blow up"? LOL

Still, I checked out the bibliography and the authors note at the end of the other chapter, and I STILL dont have a clue what a dreidel is... Something made out of pottery, with four Yiddish letters on it, and it might have something to do with a gambling game, but... ? ? ?
96 Hubbles chapter 2 . 12/20/2009
You answered the challenge beautifully! I wasn't expecting anything as wonderful as this!
Jenn chapter 2 . 12/17/2009
I enjoyed this heart warming story published in this special time of year. I can see Hogan taking care of his men in any way he could. Well done.
Kim chapter 2 . 12/16/2009
A very heart warming story. I loved seeing the heroes do something for the Jewish prisoners in the camp. I also liked the touch of the guys having to leave for an emergency. I guess you can never plan for those type of things. But I think my favorite moment was Lebeau being forced to cook the latkes and his insistence that they were just regular potato pancakes.

Also thanks for the links about WWII down below. I think I will have to check out The Complete Idiot’s Guide to World War II one day.
oboe11 chapter 2 . 12/16/2009
Mazel Tov! I really enjoyed this story. A light-hearted look at one of the worst parts of the war. Good job!
Linda G chapter 2 . 12/16/2009
Thanks so much for this. I liked it very much- particularly how Carter was clever enough to come right out and ask Hogan about the reasoning behind it. Hogan needs that once in awhile.

Oh, please watch your punctuation in quotes. Sometimes you put periods where you should have commas, and it's very distracting because I end a sentence that then continues!

Brava, again, auteur.
Bits And Pieces chapter 2 . 12/16/2009
What a great idea Hogan came up with! I did feel a bit sorry for LeBeau; though, having to eat in the mess hall! LOL Of course, Hogan and the rest of his men had to eat there, too, but it was a good way to get the info they needed. Hogan's idea for getting the Jewish prisoners into the tunnel while keeping their surprise a secret was pretty clever, and in the end I can imagine the men were not only surprised, but touched. I think Hogan did a very nice thing. Great story! Thanks for sharing; I really enjoyed it!
ColHogan chapter 2 . 12/16/2009
Very good story showing the caring and concern of all the prisoners in camp for thirteen men who, because of the times, could not openly celebrate their holiday. I really enjoyed how Hogan and the others put everything together without attracting suspicion during a time which, if it had been discovered, would have been dangerous as well as possibly , it was unfortunate to have the sound of anti-aircraft fire spoil the party for Hogan and his job.
Bits And Pieces chapter 1 . 12/16/2009
Great beginning, and this story couldn't have been timed better! I can certainly see Hogan and the men feeling bored and irritable; especially with Christmas coming, and not only has their activity tapered off, but it's freezing outside. Hogan seems to have come up with a plan, though, and I'm guessing it's something that will benefit the Jewish prisoners. Hopefully it will help to dispel some of the boredom and depression that they are all feeling. Looking forward to the next chapter.