Reviews for The Sound of Silence
r3nlock chapter 3 . 9/25/2013
this is fantastic. i've never read a fic from alfred's pov while bruce was missing and that should be rectified (there should be more of these). it's such an emotional time that i think too many people forget about; what were gotham's reactions to their golden boy disappearing on the day his parent's killer died? i loved your take on alfred's reactions, they suit him well (loyal, loyal, oh so loyal).
CheddarTrek chapter 1 . 8/7/2012
Why is the title of your second chapter "Chapter 3" and your third chapter "Chapter 2?" .

Otherwise an interesting idea.
Moon6Shadow chapter 3 . 2/15/2011
excellent plot bunny in my opinion and it's nice to see behind the scenes
VLH5589 chapter 3 . 1/9/2011
I realize you published and updated this a while ago, but it simply too good to be left without a review. I love this story. I loved reading about Alfred's heartbreak, as bad as that sounds. As much as Bruce Wayne went through, the people left behind have a story to tell too. It is one of the best stories I have read on this site. Great work.
Saela chapter 3 . 10/13/2010
I just read the three chapters at once, but I agree that you couldn't have left the last one out of it. Alfred did need closure, and the story wouldn't ben complete without it. Him getting that phone call from Bruce is always a beautiful moment in fanfics!
Indredi chapter 2 . 9/9/2010
I've read the whole thing through twice now, and I have to say this (chapter 2) is my favorite part- the scene in the beginning where Alfred cleans Bruce's room is just heartbreaking. Don't get me wrong, I love the ending too, but this scene just makes the whole fic for me.
Little Birdy2 chapter 3 . 6/30/2010
really love this great insight to what you think Alfred would be feeling!
IcyWaters chapter 3 . 6/1/2010
It might seem silly, but even though I knew Bruce was returning, I was ecstatic when the phone rang and Alfred heard Bruce’s voice for the first time in seven years! I was practically jumping up and down in my chair with joy.

I adore how the ringing phone woke Alfred up, and he just missed the call. Then it rang again and his heart began racing with possibilities, almost as if he knew the call was special. You just had to tease the reader a bit, didn’t you? It was superbly done.

I also loved how Alfred kept his composure and suppressed the urge to yell “Where the bloody hell have you been?” Even better was his simple question of "Shall I expect you then?" That was so very Alfred. :-)

Thank you for such a fantastic read. This story hit its mark on so many emotional levels and I loved every second. I’m eagerly looking forward to your next Batman fic!
IcyWaters chapter 2 . 6/1/2010
You did a fabulous job of exploring the horror of not knowing the fate of a loved one. It was heart wrenching to follow Alfred through his daily routine, never wavering in his duties and devotion to Bruce. The way Alfred stopped and focused on the picture of a younger Bruce with a rare smile brought a tear to my eye.

Since Alfred is always the perfect image of a consummate professional, it was intriguing to see his feathers ruffled. It was rather exciting to see his petty and rancorous side. I loved how he didn’t agree to the original meeting time, and pushed it to four o’clock (all the better for Mr. Earle to hit rush hour traffic, lol); offered Earle good Scotch, but of course not the best Wayne Manor had to offer; and was furious at the thought of declaring Bruce dead.

I also like the brief appearance of Lucius Fox. It’s nice knowing Alfred has an ally in Mr. Fox on the board. It also creates a wonderful back story to his being reassigned to the applied sciences department and how Alfred was willing to trust Lucius when Bruce was ill from the toxin. I love how you create a few simple moments that add such delicious layers to the events in “Begins.”

One quibble – Alfred refers to Bruce having been gone five years at the start of this chapter. Earle later says Bruce has been gone six years.
IcyWaters chapter 1 . 6/1/2010
This was a wonderful look into the worry Alfred had to be feeling when Bruce didn’t return home. It was almost painful to follow him through the first twenty-four hours of not knowing the fate of his young charge, especially since we all know he has such a long wait ahead.

The little details really make this story stand out. You have a masterful understanding of Alfred; this is probably how he would have reacted. I loved how he was so attuned to the sounds of the manor, how he desperately wanted to hear the crunching gravel and how he stopped himself from checking on the chocolate chip cookies.

Concentrating on making a perfect cup of tea is exactly how I pictured the faithful butler handing his nerves. When Rachel arrived, I was actually hoping it would be Bruce (even though it obviously wasn’t) just to appease Alfred.

I was especially struck by this line: "Bruce..." He paused a moment. "Hasn't been right in a long time." It’s almost as if he was waiting for something unexpected—perhaps even tragic—to happen to Bruce. It was a powerful moment, even more so that he actually voiced it aloud.

I also liked the ending to this chapter. It was subdued and hinted of the many years of anguish Alfred would face. Going out with a ‘bang’ would be a disservice, IMO.
Marta chapter 3 . 4/7/2010
It was great. I enjoyed reading it. I'm glad you provided closure for Alfred. The first chapter just left you wanting more :).

Green Arrow Girl chapter 3 . 3/6/2010
I quite enjoyed this piece. I always have wondered myself what Alfred was doing, or feeling during the seven years Bruce was gone. Very well done.
lshjdgbfv chapter 2 . 3/4/2010
I have to admit, I'm not as fond of this part as I was of the previous one. Yes, Alfred got closure... but we hardly saw any of his pain, just the beginning of it. The beginning and the end, but no middle, which I think you could have done a really great job with. (Dare I hope for another installment?) And, well... it could be just me, but Alfred seemed to take Bruce's call entirely too well. They handled things very flippantly in Batman Begins (though I do love me some snarky Michael Caine :P); of course they can't show inner turmoil on film, but here we had a really good opportunity to see inside Alfred, and you didn't really take it. I'd have liked more than just those two lines about his inner reaction- "unvoiced questions", yes, but what questions? Just... give us something more. :)

Nonetheless, a very well written story. Your attention to grammar and punctuation is excellent, as usual- quite rare on F.! (So sue me, I like a writer who knows zhir way around a comma splice. lol) And phonestalker!Bruce was excellent, both for lawlz and, when given closer consideration, for the glimpse at what Bruce's mental state must have been like to make him lose his nerve and hang up.
lshjdgbfv chapter 1 . 3/4/2010
Lovely. Not many fics touch on Alfred's side of the story during Bruce's disappearance; of course Bruce's was the more epic journey during that time, but Alfred's experience has the potential for such poignancy and pain. You handled it wonderfully- too early for biting worry magnified by days, too early for the dull ache of pain numbed by time, but... The tone of this piece was really what clinched it for me. It was in the small details (Alfred's repressed habits, the tiny glimpses of life in the Manor), the word choice and diction (matter of fact, not ornate at all, but with little poetic flourishes such as "a perfect pot of Earl Grey" and "Hearts that hoped reached out into the night"). I especially liked the subtle framework you gave the piece by repeating "The crunch of tires on gravel. The sound of the door opening, footsteps in the hall, a voice calling his name." The last line really left me with a sense of foreboding, too, because we know just how many nights it's going to be, don't we?
The Illegible chapter 2 . 12/19/2009
Hm...I'm not really sure what I think of the second chapter. I like the way it's written, and especially enjoyed how Alfred managed to display his usual, faintly bemused calm despite the shock/relief-after the initial "Master Bruce", which was also very fitting. I guess I just don't know if you needed another chappie or not-plot-wise, the first felt like it wrapped up well with a sad ending. Just felt like the closing line could use a bit of tweaking to me. That said, it was good to see an end to Alfred's worry. This was a nice fic. :-)