Reviews for The Case of the Prodigal Father
LuoLiBei chapter 4 . 2/2/2011
I just love James! I wish there really was a twin brother. I'll have to try to find those 3 plot bunnies you mentioned before if they are other people's stories using your character. :)

Why do I love James? Because as much as we see their relationship from John's pov there's also James side of things. I imagine where John saw neglect from his parents, James felt overwhelming pressure, all the jealousy John has for the privleges of his older brother I think James returns for John turning into everything his parents wanted. I almost hink they are kind of like the same person and if John had come first he would have run into the same problems but then I think nah, he would have been fine but his screw up younger brother would have been a small embarassment to their name and a fun uncle for the gaggle of kids he'd have. :) Sigh, the vagaries of birth. I really sympathize with James but I like that John can't see past his own life hurts to realize his brother's feelings. I think if he did it would just make James feel worse about himself and his saintly brother. :)
LuoLiBei chapter 1 . 2/2/2011
Yay! More Watson family! I didn't look at your other story summaries at all while I was reading the JWPSSY series so I didn't know you'd already written more with James. See, you don't really hate him at all despite all the mean things you said about him in your author notes. Of course I haven't read the story yet so maybe it paints him in an even worse light. :) Currently I'm under the assumption that James was pretending to be John and he never really wanted to break the engagement, he was just being a jerkish man of the times and sowing his oats, but since she dumped him he's stayed out of their life except sometimes he gets drunk and does the Victorian equivalent of drunk texting. :)
nomdeplume30 chapter 5 . 11/25/2010
The Holmes/James banter was terrific, totally loved how unruffled Holmes was by all James' digs. The badass Watson in the bar fight was brilliant. I love watching Watson take care of business. He's so COOL!
bemj11 chapter 5 . 3/19/2010
Delightful.
Isis the Sphinx chapter 5 . 3/7/2010
I really love your writing. Brilliant job, Bart.

Yes, this fits quite nicely into the Police Surgeon universe. Your John and James are like mirror images of each other, in more ways than one!

Badass!Watson fun! Can we have more? Please?

He's(John)so polite on the outside, but to listen to his VERY sarcastic thoughts is very amusing.

And the Watson habit of meeting women*snerk*. I LOVE backstory.

Keep writing!
KylaRyan chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
Excellent Beginning.~KR

P.S. A Male Mary Sue is a Gary Sue.
han8661 chapter 5 . 12/21/2009
Of course your not alone! this story rules! I love the way you made James nicer but kept his original characteristics! go you! very touching story and i'm looking forward to mabey a seqal to this and an update to John Watson police surgeon 5?
Silverfox1 chapter 5 . 12/20/2009
I think I told you I wasn't going to read the James story, but hey, it had Watson and I immediately liked Andrew and his family so here I am at the end of the story I wasn't going to read ...

I'm afraid I suspected James of being the mysterious benefactor from the start. I greatly enjoyed the meeting of James and Holmes. The only thing missing was a bit more Lestrade. Not a bad result for a story I didn't expect to want to read at all, don't you think?
Elizabeth chapter 5 . 12/19/2009
I felt that the intereactions between the characters were very realistic and in Holmesian style. As usual, this was very well written. I see that James is still a bit of a cad, though he does seem to be softened a little. It was a bit of a shock for the poor Doctor to learn that he's an uncle,though. I also liked at the end of the final chapter that James proved that old habits died hard when he swipped his brother's wallet. Over all, I was very much enjoyed reading this and hope to see more from this author.
reflekshun chapter 3 . 12/19/2009
I absolutely died laughing at the way Holmes and Watson made sure that James stayed the night. Thanks again for sharing!
reflekshun chapter 2 . 12/19/2009
Talking ferret...misshapen bulldog? This is really getting good. Thank you for sharing.
reflekshun chapter 1 . 12/19/2009
I really enjoyed this installment, and thank you so much for sharing. This promises to be a very good story.
Literatech chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
I'm so glad that you post in multiple places or I would have missed the conclusion to this wonderful story. I did suspect James was the mysterious benefactor after the Great Expectations reference. Who else to play the convict role but James? I must say I never expected James to funnel his whole inheritance into a trust for the boy. Way to go Hamish! Typical Watson. Can't get his limits.

I love the Watson boys together. I love that John realizes something that Holmes knew all along, that he never really stopped caring and hoping for James. Does James feel the same towards John? Do visit the Watson family again. Soon. Ok?
IrregularHonour chapter 5 . 12/18/2009
Wonderfully done!

It was both touching and amusing at the same time. I started off by despising James but now I can see why people would like that particular black sheep.

I hope his coerced relationships will help him to reach slightly greater heights in character!

For his son's and daughter-in-law's sake- if nobody else's! )
IrregularHonour chapter 4 . 12/18/2009
You write as brilliantly as usual!

I especially enjoyed the repartee between Holmes and James! Of course there is no way Holmes could come out the loser!(Personally I think those types of dialogues display Holmes' wit splendidly.)