Reviews for Bitter As The Grave
Rishie chapter 3 . 2/23/2010
This is excellent, a thoroughly good read and true to the style of the Cadfael books, with your focus oncharacter development and descriptions of people and things. I really like this story and I'll be happy to read more when it comes.
BenRG chapter 3 . 1/16/2010
XD Okay, I saw it coming, but you still wrote the reveal perfectly. Cadfael has a son out there in canon, so why not a daughter. I also suspect that she is going to become the nucleus and focus of intregue in Shrewsbury. For some reason I can hear Hugh muttering that "She's your blood Cadfael. Of COURSE she would end up as the nucleus and focus of intregue!"

Oh, I am hooked! This is a brilliant work so far and I am loving each new step!

BenRG's Rating: 8/10
DocJorgensen chapter 3 . 1/10/2010
Oh! I was not expecting that. Not expecting that in the slightest. Once again, your description is lovely, you have the Cadfael voice just right, the slightest tinge of mystery is in the air, and of course, I can already see Prior Robert getting angry at Cadfael for feminine involvement.

Gotta love that.

BenRG chapter 2 . 12/23/2009
An enjoyable second chapter. As with the first, you well capture Ellis Peters' writing style.

There are lots of subtexts and possible sub-plots or red-herrings in this chapter. As always, this early in a story, it is nearly impossible to tell who will be the most important characters and who are merely local colour. Indeed, as often happens in Peters' work, there is the possibility that some who we have seen may not be who they appear to be.

That said, I'm pretty sure that Hellas has a story to tell and I wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately leads to a little local scandal that will keep the gossips in fodder for years.

BenRG's Rating: 8/10
DocJorgensen chapter 2 . 12/21/2009
First, I would like to applaud you on your exceptional emulation of Ellis Peter's style. It is very well done, and reads smoothly and easily, much as canon does.

I can very much see the inevitable involvement of Helias in something shady/murderous, etc.

Hugh and Prior Robert are very well done (Tangent, you might want to consider changing "silver beauty" describing Robert in the Chapter One, as it sounds odd, as Robert is described as dignified but not particularly handsome?, though I personally would like to see more of Abbot Radulfus.

At any rate, I look forward to more, and with some speed.
BenRG chapter 1 . 12/19/2009
Ah, Morwen! How do you know all the genres that I like? I haven't read any Cadfael fanfiction before but this is a very good piece. You have matched Ellis Peters' writing style so well that I could be reading a canon story. Your narative style is just right and I think that you've characterised the main personalities perfectly.

So! Things are happening in Shrewsbury! A converted Saracen princess who is a known enemy of the (ambitious and dangerous) Earl of Chester is visiting with a small fortune in goods. Meanwhile, Cadfael has one of his lost souls of assistants who, I strongly suspect, is about to become mixed up in affairs that a humble Novice probably would never normally even imagine.

I'll be looking out for more. You have a gift for this genre.

BenRG's Rating 8/10