Reviews for It's The Thought That Counts
BelleIllumina chapter 1 . 1/29
As a Susan Pevensie fan, I am crying at the Lambert and Susan part. I am scolding myself why I just read this wonderful piece of work now. Just... everything is so beautiful and warm and painfully happy. Just... *cries*.
Bubbles of Colours chapter 2 . 6/4/2014
ohh, I already read this! On A.W, I believe. I loved what Polly says at the end :)
Bubbles of Colours chapter 1 . 6/4/2014
I especially loved Lambert's part... I'd really like to read more about Susan's relationship with her guard!
Also... I love Jalur :)
Eregnar chapter 1 . 5/6/2014
This was so cute! Though Lambert's bit brought tears to my eyes. And Jalur's part was a bit disturbing, but in a hilarious way. I love it!
Saoirse7 chapter 2 . 3/15/2014
That's beautiful, and I hope he gets a chance to know something of the significance of that ship. Very nice story! :)
Saoirse7 chapter 1 . 3/15/2014
Aww.. this is so precious! Lambert and Briony's parts almost made me cry, and I always love Edmund and Jalur's interactions.
RogueArabesque chapter 1 . 2/23/2014
I do so love those little mentions of the Hermit. "After a very long, very pleasant walk and talk with the Hermit of the Southern March..." This phrase is pleasing to the ears. The confirmation of the unique relationship between Dahlia and Peter was something I enjoyed.

I think this might have worked better if you pruned more, to make it tighter. Cut some dialogue between the Cheetahs in the beginning. Highlight the descriptions by limiting them, or choose your words more precisely. "[Briony] leaped up on to her Queen's bed and joyously licked her face." Many sentences are generic, and I want to remember your pieces for something more than the plot. Did Lucy's bed sag and squeak a little? Does the mattress even have springs in it? When Briony licked Lucy's face, did she taste faint traces of nervous sweat? You need not go into esoteric details, but I want graphic images. Clarification in the book excerpt is needed, as I'm unsure of the time period (after the Pevensies disappeared?).

Edmund's gift to his Guard made me wonder if Talking, carnivorous animals eat Talking animals. Do they? I doubt you meant it this way, but this phrase made me laugh. "[King Edmund's] delight evident to Jalur's sensitivity." His sensitivity. Yup. (I'm sure he must have some, but is that Jalur describing himself as sensitive?) That just... It's hilarious.
AngelBornOfHell chapter 1 . 2/15/2013
Tears at Lambert's section. God, why are you making me cry so much.
WritingMum2009 chapter 2 . 12/17/2012
Ruth, I have read perhaps half of your Narnia fanfic works listed here to date. I appreciate the thought, research, and heart you put into your stories. But . . . for the connection of hearts, the tender love between friends -both old and new- and for the tears it brings to my eyes . . . hands down, /this/ version of /this/ story is by far my favorite.
Starbrow chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
I WANT TO DIE FROM THE CUTENESS. Jalur. OTTER SQUEAK TOY. OMG. OMG. OMG.

And Susan/Lambert. HEART. Briony dying, and he only has Susan then. Sad and beautiful.

Briony trying to see what Lucy had (very painstakingly, though not very well) embroidered for her, for of course Wolves don't have the same kind of close vision. Adorable.

PETER/DALIA. CUBS. Brainstorming gift ideas. ""Meaty ox bones!" Beehn injected enthusiastically. "The High King would love those!"

"The gift is for him, not you, Beehn,"

ROFL. And not-a-Princess, Peter wouldn't appreciate that very much. DIES.

So much wonderfulness.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
Nice
LadyAlambiel chapter 2 . 5/21/2012
This was a wonderful one shot. It had just the right mix of cute, fluff, funny, and then bittersweet. I thought you did a great job of tying in both the Narnian side and the Spare Oom side with the Christmas/Yule spirit. Jailer and the Otter pillow was probably my favorite, though Dalia, her cubs, and the 'not-Princesses' take a close second, and I loved the picture of Polly and Digory collecting all presents Fledge and sometimes Aslan. Keep writing!

Lady A
fledge chapter 2 . 2/21/2012
Once again, it's hard to tell what is more amazing - your universal background knowledge ranging from the simple aspects of Asian cuisine to the more intricate questions of philosophy and theology, the depth of your characters, or the touch of humour that you use to spice even the most serious ideas. (To say nothing of the flawless spelling and grammar, which are a rare thing in ff these days. The finest storyline gets annoying if the writer doesn't know their own language.) Mary is indeed a most delightful character, and one gfeels quite sorry for her being rather left out; she's quite justified being fed up with those annoying Pensieves...

Iknow I have quite some tast before me, but I' certainly see that I can read the rest of your fantastic work. Have you ever thought of writing something for actually publishing it? You certainly have got what it takes
Heartwould chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
I am re-reading this after reading to the end of Section 2 of Harold and Morgan: Not a Romance.

It was fun the first time, but now, in context, it is just so wonderful, Rth! Beehn & Fooh are such clowns (their names don't help), that they're wonderful counterweights to the Magnificence of His Magnificence, and Briony & Lucy are sweet together.

But Lambert made tears come to my eyes, with his fidelity and love. What a solid, utterly reliable and loyal Friend. I can see why Susan would be interested in Rafe Linch, having become accustomed to Lambert. If and / or when you ever, ever write Rabadash, he's going to be a villain - I know it - for having had the skills to pretend to be like those two while actually being just a, well, ass.

Does the Yule with Edmund & Jalur take place after he's returned to Cair Paravel? It almost sounds like it. If you didn't mean it that way at the time, kudos on the precognitive plotting!
ReviewerWhoBegsForUpdates chapter 2 . 6/21/2011
Oh dear. Poor Asim must have looked as if he had been struck on the back of the head with a board. I love how complicated the holiday is, and the gifts Polly and Digory exchange. Good fic!
53 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »