Reviews for Beauxbatons, A Fan Resource
Name of the Wind chapter 1 . 1/4
Wow. One would think that intelligence and wisdom usually comes with a solid grasp of grammar.

Well I'm fucking wrong.

You're an idiot like nothing I've ever seen before.
Sadik3000 chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
it seems wonderfull, will you write a story about it ?
Gundam Kaiser chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
Pretty interesting. Even if I never use it myself, I'd like to see further instalments of this little guide.
KitsuneNoYomeiri chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
Head-canon Get!
Devil Reader chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
If only my history textbooks were also about the magical world, then Social Studies could be more entertaining for me.
matrice chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
An interesting idea. Effectively, using the French school as a setting for the fic would "force" the author to be original, thus diminishing the risk of ending up with something too cliche, or revisiting canon with only a few minor twists.
134213 Wu chapter 1 . 4/27/2011
Wow. You've put so much detail into this history of Beauxbatons that even if you never add anything else to this, it'll be useful all the same. That's not to say you shouldn't add more though!
RebeccaRoy chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
Very nice and well explained too.
xsmoresx chapter 1 . 12/17/2010
Probably the best explanation out there for why modern magic seems not able to compare to old magic and why modern magicals use latin instead of their native language. : )
JustWriter2 chapter 1 . 12/17/2010
I read this in "Partially Kissed Hero" and figured I'd tell you that I'll be writing a collection of oneshot (or twoshot depending on the fans or my own inspiration) stories called, "Harry's Invitations," where I begin with the obvious alternate schools that Harry could have gone to; nevermind the prophecy. (snickers) I'll slowly move onto the ridiculous but you'll just have to see then won't you? Considering the progress of my other stories this will probably form into more than just an idea anywhere from a half of a year to about 3. I only say that because of how hard I've been working to update my Hermione goes back in time story; I figured that I would have updated that about a month ago when everything IRL got incredibly distracting. Anyway, I'm just letting you know that there's a collection of stories to eventually look forward to.

-jwchan -
Payton-Hale chapter 1 . 12/11/2010
OMG! i love this! i just started my own Harry Potter Fanfic where he is raised in France, but the biggest road block i was facing was Beauxbatons, where it was, the history and what it looked like! this has given me so many ideas, would you mind terribly if i use some aspects you mentioned? i would cite you of course...

i LOVE the stories you write, i have read Cunin Exam day multiple times and partially kissed hero was awesome as well.

anon chapter 1 . 5/23/2010
...I think you mean Dionysus, not Pan. also, a lot of what you're saying about Greece and Rome just wouldn't work (by about the fifth century BC, you were already getting too much agnosticism for the gods to be regularly turning up in person). wikipedia is your friend - use it.
ejhawman chapter 1 . 3/22/2010
Fascinating start. Looking forward to updates, details on current structure, social arrangements, instructional patterns, etc.

Once this is done, would you be willing to do Durmstrang as well? And there would have to be schools in India, the Far East, the Americas...

The history so far is good enough for a background of Beauxbatons, but just barely; it could be more robust, filling out all sorts of factors. Of course, the history of the Potterverse is a rich subject barely scratched by fandom so far, but I would think, if wizards historically were similar in character to wizards in modern times, at least a few would do more than run from annoying nobles that used them to exhaustion. There were probably a few cases of wizards turning upon the muggles who pursued them, wiped out whole noble classes in certain regions, and took over. And then found themselves running a state full of muggles. Given magicals' tendency toward misanagement, they would have failed spectacularly (is the status of Atlantis mentioned in the books? Hm...) and further reinforced their reclusive tendencies.

Still, I imagine the International Statute of Secrecy did not cover the WHOLE world at once, but grew in its coverage as parts of India, China, Africa, etc. became signatories whenever crises occurred in these regions. And there is the whole growth of magical knowledge issue: when did wand use start? Broom use? When was the Floo principle demonstrated? Portkeys? etc... probably one of the contributing factors to the magical Dark Age was the unavailability of properly crafted wands to focus magic.

Food for thought, anyway. I my start work on a few HP ideas of my own and try to work some of these concerns in.
Lady Halaia chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
No fair! You shouldn't be giving me plot bunnies when I've promised my English lecturer I'd only write original fiction! (Can't wait to see any other material you've come up with - after all, what she doesn't know she can't penalise me for _)
Face Towards the Dawn chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
"One of the more telling remnants of that time was how magicals still swore by the names of the more powerful of their kind."

You explain why they are always swearing by Merlin!

I don't know about the Greek/Roman gods in detail, but it sounds like you made it all match up.

"Luckily drafting witches was not done, because back then it was unthinkable to send women off to war. But if they had, the magical race of man would unquestionably have died out."

And you also explain why "if we hadn't married muggles we'd've died out"!