Reviews for Storm Surge
La Sola y La Fascinante chapter 1 . 8/13/2014
So I get that this story is four years finished, but since I only discovered you and your writing recently, I'm sure you can find it in your heart to forgive me for only now reading it.
This story is fantastic - the writing is, in my opinion, some of the best I've ever found on FanFiction. The characters are diverse, and real, and there is so much depth to them that it astounds me. I love the way you characterize Draco; he's an arrogant bully who never realized what his words and actions truly meant, until that meaning was dumped on his head like a bucket of ice water. I love that you used the idea of resurrection for Draco for two reasons. One, it's such an interesting turning point for him! He died (or at least his conscious sense of himself did) when the Hufflepuff mob tortured him with the Cruciatus Curse for hours on end. He was resurrected because by some fluke of Mugglish habit, Hermione and Neville came back and found him. From that moment, the Draco who lived and who was rescued becomes, in a way, a new person. I really look forward to seeing where the resurrected Draco goes in Amends. The second reason I love the ue of resurrection is simply because it is such a theme in the Harry Potter Universe. Voldemort is resurrected, through the Horcuxes, Harry is resurrected through the Hallows (and love magic, and also Horcruxes? I've always kind of wondered with that concept), and in this story Draco joins that group.
I absolutely loved reading this story, and I admire your skill as a writer, as a storyteller, and as an observer of the human condition.
Muchisimo amor,
La Sola y La Fascinante
13 chapter 13 . 3/1/2013
you suck
stellasnark chapter 14 . 4/8/2012
I stumbled across this story, and I can't express how happy I am that I stopped to read. It's wonderful - perfect, really, from start to finish. I worried for them each in turn; my heart ached for them each in turn; I giggled with them each in turn, especially over the turn about Emily! Thanks so so much for posting this utterly fantastic story.
omg-ROXY chapter 14 . 12/26/2011
I love this story, as with all the rest of your work. I think you characterise Draco so well - you've got a great understanding of how his mind works, the beleifs he would have been raised with. I like how this story (and Amends) is a lot more realistic than some others I've read. Things aren't magically better just because Voldemort has gone, there's still a lot of prejudice and bigotry going around. Draco doesn't just suddenly abandon the beliefs he's been raised with - instead he tries to adapt to the political climate and find a way best to survive - typical Slytherin.

I also love the little details that most people over look. One of things that I remember is one of Draco's worst memories being when he was attacked by Harry's friends and transformed into a slug-like thing. If I remember correctly, in the books that's just a throw away line, and I never thought how much of an effect it would have on Draco - or how cruel some of the 'good guys' actually were when they were at school.

Anyway tl;dr.. I love this story, and you're an amazing author!
LastScorpion chapter 14 . 8/18/2011
Another terrific story! I really enjoyed reading it.
Lillian chapter 14 . 6/29/2011
Without a doubt, this story is one of my favorites. I actually want them to have a happily ever after. I really adore how you wrote Draco viewing his life as having branched that night and I felt sympathy for him when he was thinking of Pansy as a mean girl and missing her. I am reading your other stories but there is just something about this one. Thank-you for it and I look forward to whatever comes next.
NevemTeve chapter 14 . 6/15/2011
It was interesting to see the same story for another point of view. Your Draco seems to be a bit better person than the his canon counterpart - or at least a much more elaborated character, having the potential of redeeming and developing (not overdone, thankfully, just the believable amount).

Thinking back I don't recall if he did anything actually bad in this story (except for being rude with Myrtle): the Polyjuice-abuse was Hermione's intative, not his, he just went along; in the scene in the Muggle café, he meant only protect Hermione from any unwanted wooer; and regarding the two attacks against him: he did not provoked them in any way, those children admitted that they wanted to punish him for other people's sins as well.

And about his 'last wishes' - they were quite believable and plausible for an eighteen-year boy facing a life in Azkaban.

The ending was quite touching - not that I think his relation with Hermione and Neville is entirely healthy (by which I mean equal relation including mutual trust and respect) - there are many references of him feeling like their child; but it might develop into that direction.

(Random note: it would be interesting to know what JKR's real view regarding the Unforgivable Curses: first we hear that they are literally unforgivable, a bit later we find out that they can be used in the education, then we hear that Barty Crouch allowed the Aurors to use them; and we know that Harry used Crucio twice, and he was not challenged for it. (Your storyline makes the question even more difficult, having children tormenting Draco with Crucio.))
Chevalier de Brillieu chapter 11 . 5/6/2011
Not much in the way of detail, but this was awesome. A stroke of brilliance, describing Draco In The Muggle World. And his POV on the events with Nigel, which I remember particularly enjoying reading from Hermione's viewpoint in Amends. Esp the whole "Her own kind" bit. Bravo.
Chevalier de Brillieu chapter 14 . 5/5/2011
I have not read a chapter since stopping on 6, or 8 months and months ago. I've been needing more of Amends, and I guess this was supposed to quench the thirst for the time being. And I saw that it's completed, and went straight to the last chapter (and only read 14), which surprisingly corresponded with where you are now in Amends more or less.

And OH MY GOD. From mid-way on, I could not hold back the tears. Till the very last line. The whole thing was so uplifting and tragic, and so damn intimate. The moment with the portraits. The welcoming of the New Year, saying goodbye to the old. The chilling fear of Almost Azkaban.

And lastly, the night with the Three of Them. I think this is exactly what I wanted to happen, for Draco's sake but also to some extent I felt like for me it would be the only satisfactory resolution of their triangle. There is still something uncomfortably paternal/adoptive in their dynamic, but it's the best way I see it working. The kiss(es)... I gasped, no words... And the three-way lovemaking, without you giving any details, is so palpable and warm, romantic, intense, and comfortable. Again, without any play-by-play. That love, trust, friendship and intimacy are so powerful and magnificent. I can only wonder how this menage will work in the medium to long-term future, post Draco's pardon (I assume) of Azkaban. But that's for later...

And with everything hanging over them, the tone of the ending is so cathartic and... hopeful.
The Predatory Wasp chapter 14 . 4/10/2011
like the other stories this universe, you definitely captured the essence of the main character, in this case draco. when reading the books i just thought of draco as the annoying bully or something of the like. but as i've been reading more and more fanfiction, my heart has grown soft for him in books 6 and 7. reading this, has made me really kind of understand and feel bad for draco in all of the books. i think if his father wasn't such a bad person, draco wouldn't have been either. but i mean, that's how lucius was raised as well so it just proves how you're raised pretty much determines how act for at least the first 15 or 16 years of life. back to the point, i felt what draco felt and could imagine everything that happened quite clearly, so great job writing a very good draco. i also really like the last chapter where he 'spoke' to all the deceased that meant something to him.
jadely31 chapter 14 . 2/10/2011
This story just blows me away. You've done such a great job of weaving the plot around Malfoy's version of events. Who knew he could be so caring, so reflective? ANd the last chapter, the last toast of the year with Hermione and Neville caught me completely by surprise. I continue to be amazed by your superior writing. Thank you, thank you.
Josephine Stone chapter 14 . 12/20/2010
Oh, its over. I really want to know what happens with Draco's trail, but I guess I will have to read Hermione's story for that.

From the way JKR makes it seem for someone to be a pure-blood they would have had to never had a muggle in their ancestry. Or at least not for so many generations no one would know. So since Neville is a pure-blood, his grandmother couldn't have married a muggle. Though it makes a good story none the less. Plus, I was a little confused on how her name could be Augusta and Emily at the same time.

I always thought of Draco's life (like Snape's) as just sad in general. You can really feel that in the story. Even though the ending is somewhat happy, it still has a sad tone. He is still going to Azkaban and so are his parents. (Though I have no idea what they are charging his mother with. Not only was she never marked, she never cast a spell on anyone. She didn't even have her wand at the end, because she gave it to Draco.)

I'd also like to know what happened to those Hufflepuffs, because it sounds like nothing did. Yet they broke the law, so they should be standing trial as well.

I'm sure that all the answers are in the one in Hermione's POV, but it over 250,000 words. Its going to take a while for me to read all that.

I'm not sure if I'm going to read 'Amends' or 'Princess' yet. Neither of them are finished... probably 'Princess' since Draco is a main character. I'm so predicable.
Josephine Stone chapter 10 . 12/20/2010
I feel a more sadden and angry reading this story for some reason. I've read the same things over and over again, you'd think I was immune to it. Though I guess I'm so used to Harry jumping in and settling it. I guess the constant ill treatment of Malfoy while no one does anything is getting to me.

It bothered me in the series with how Harry was treated in many cases. But the constant insults where he doesn't say anything and no one else stops it. I don't know it just seems a lot darker than the books. Sort of like the feeling I had during the fifth book.
Josephine Stone chapter 7 . 12/19/2010
"He should be unsurprised that she talks, a lot, while she runs her hands over him."

Their entire sex scene was wonderful. Violence, but not over the top. I like how Draco is helpless and he hates it, yet it is a turn on for him in bed. Not that he is helpless, but that he is attracted to power and wants them to overtake him. Even with a girl he wants them pushing back and taking control.

There are a lot of people that say they can't see Draco as a bottom because of his pride. I've always seen him how you are writing him. He was raised to want power and would be attracted to powerful people. I don't see it as giving up pride to be the bottom. (I can't understand that idea at all. That is saying that people aren't equal in the relationship.) I see it more as that in order for him to really feel how powerful they are, they would have to release that power on him.

So he doesn't throw Granger on the bed. She throws him on the bed.
Josephine Stone chapter 6 . 12/19/2010
"He tries fantasizing about Potter. No go. Too skinny, and much too annoying." Oh go and ruin my fantasy. Well, at least skinny and annoying are easy things to fix.

That was a lot of contemplating about sex. It took me this long to realize that, there isn't a lot of dialog in this. It flows so well that I hadn't really noticed.