Reviews for Breaking Even
Caellach Tiger Eye chapter 1 . 12/30/2009
My goodness, I ... I have to express my sheer and utter ADMIRATION for this line:

"No matter how often she smiled, it looked far from innocent. She would never experience childhood or the innocence that came with it."

For a moment, with that line, you actually made me feel sorry for SONIA. Why? Because it suddenly dawned on me that despite being a morph, she's evil on the same principal a sadist is - she doesn't know any better. Nergal created her to be that way; she thinks it's perfect because HE told her that it is. And the fact that despite her belief of being human, you suggest that on some level, she KNOWS she's never had a childhood. Sonia has never been innocent - always callous and brutal, always a seductress, born without a soul ... I feel at least a MODICUM of pity for her, if nothing else.

Of course, you didn't destroy her character either, as her immediate actions afterwards shift the pity towards her unknowing foster daughter instead. You're quick to remind the audience of who to REALLY feel sorry for, and yet you did it so well through Sonia's eyes. I never really considered this particular Morph's perspective - I'm usually part of the the pity-party that wants Kishuna to survive FE7, after all - but it's great to see you were able to provide an empathetic, level depiction of Sonia while still keeping her utterly cold and ruthless nature. I don't think I could EVER do something like that ...

... that's it, you are now my favourite fanfiction author!

gODSPEED!
Wyrmseeker chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
Sad face.

You do a good job of setting the reader in Sonia's shoes, and kept her well in character. This really sounded like what she would be thinking about Nino.

Not much more to say, since it's such a short story, but this is a good look at a relatively underused character. Excellent work,a and keep it up.
Trevor X chapter 1 . 12/22/2009
Sonia and Nino. A complex relationship to be sure. Or lack thereof. Then again, when you look at the rest of the 'family', you don't find a whole lot of basis for wholesome relationships.

Still, Sonia seems almost human here. Wanting someting and getting the opposite. Wishing to destroy Nino, and yet still obligated to raise and teach her. What a connundrum.
Xirysa chapter 1 . 12/21/2009
Hm. Interesting for Sonia to be jealous of a child, isn't it?

Either way, it's interesting to see how people take a look at the inner workings of Sonia's mind.

Great job, dearie!

[Xirysa]
Pen and Paper71 chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
This is excellent. You handled Sonia wonderfully. It's interesting to see something done from Sonia's point of view and nice to see it done so well.

Poor Nino. :(

Anyway, very nice work.
WhiteTigerLilly chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
Poor kid. It's gotta be rough having a mom who despises you.

"The thought of signed hair and flaky, charred skin..." Did you mean singed?

Anyway, I think I like reading these. Even if I don't know who they are.

Josie
kittykatloren chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
Wow, very intense and interesting. I've never tried to imagine Sonia's thoughts on Nino. It's almost as if she cares... but still, she's just too cruel. Well done!

- Kitty
Nico-Chan chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
Poor Nino, indeed.

Wonderful. It was everything I wanted and more. Nino's sweetness, Sonia's cruel jealousy, it was all perfect! And you wrote Sonia wonderfully! Full of complexities and darkness. You showed so many sides of her in such a short fic. Her anger, her jealousy, her vanity, and even the small part of her that wondered, or maybe even wished, that she could feel love and come to care for Nino. (Not that she would ever in a million years believe it.)

Just amazing. 33