Reviews for The Blackened Sky
Firefly-gal chapter 6 . 4/24/2015
It was great!
Jadzia Bear chapter 6 . 6/26/2010
That was incredible. I loved the writing style you used here, and you made me hate the Alliance so very, very much! You made that camp sound absolutely horrific with only a few carefully chosen words, and the way you described the Rebel ship getting shot down was like poetry - beautiful and heartbreaking.

Phrases that grabbed me: “the many small emergency lights that blinked stupidly”, “the grace of a glacier” and “like dark chicks imploring to be fed”.

I always felt there was much more to the story of Mal losing his faith, thank you for telling it. This really was an amazing story.
Ella Greggs chapter 6 . 5/5/2010
I really liked the spare style you used. Very stark and effective given the setting and the action taking place. Too much detail on torture (physical and mental) can be upsetting, or just veer into voyeurism. You employed a light, economical touch. I have to wonder, that man at the end, was that the future Shepherd Book? Such a development would be pretty neat symetry. But maybe Book was already at the monastery by this time. Even if it's not Book, it's a neat epiphany moment for someone. Chilling lines: "Managing to break so many while bringing the whole project in under budget." I wonder how many real-life petty tyrants and monsters (who don't see themselves as such, of course) actually think along those lines. More than a few, I'll wager. Excellent backstory for how Mal loses his faith. More plausible, frankly, than just losing the war itself, as is portrayed in the series.
Ella Greggs chapter 4 . 5/5/2010
There's a really powerful simplicity to your writing. Passages like: "Mal was screaming. He was praying. He was screaming." and the chilling question "How do you measure pain?" You might want to up the rating on this fic, though. I think the torture is a bit too strong for a K rating, and maybe even for a K.
Ella Greggs chapter 3 . 5/5/2010
Not sure where this is headed - Mal in the sensory deprivation tank and someone trying to destroy his spirit. But it's scary stuff and written with the perfect balance of description to give a sense of place and action, without becoming horrific or lurid. Reading on...
Thescarredman chapter 6 . 1/15/2010
It is a rather different style for you, but no less descriptive. Considering the subject material, I'd have to say that less is more - no need for lengthy description. This works, at least for this part of the story. Keep it up.
RionaEire chapter 6 . 12/22/2009
This was a deeply disturbing portrayal of the end of the war and the aftermath. Your writing is horrifically effective and you are skilled in portraying the darkest moments of torture and dispair. The image of the ships being shot down and killing their own men was poignant and cruel. But the torture scenes, some of the most effective torture writing I've seen here or anywhere not only because of the methods used but because of the portrayal of it that you produce. I can't help but feel glad that the torturer's assistant at the end feels horrible, he deserves it, but I also hope that through this experience he may find redemption and change his life. The fact that this story is disturbing me so much is a testiment to your abilities and to the fact that I believe that these things will happen someday, not today, but some day (torture and horror part not the Alliance part I mean). Phenominally written and truly frightening and disturbing. Oh, and the sweet smelling smoke in chapter two scared me too. A memorable account

Riona
Malinara chapter 6 . 12/22/2009
Angsty angsty angsty! but beautifully written ;)

merry xmas )