Reviews for Shadowboxing
Sykonee chapter 1 . 9/20/2010
Disgustingly good, if I do say so myself. Lots of great imagery and personal musings for Alena, making her character richly nuanced as she comes to grips with her self-doubt. The plot doesn't really make itself apparent for a while, so this story comes across more like a series of 'what if' scenarios, which in of itself is quite intriguing. The only thing that isn't clear is whether Alena's dreams are her own personal demons being fought, or rather some sort of influence from Necrosaro. The latter would be an interesting twist on the game, as although Alena undoubtedly saw herself as a rival to him, ol' Saro never seemed terribly fussed over the Princess - at least In Game, and not to such an extent he would go out of his way to impede her journey by poisoning her dreams. Ah well, that's where 'open to interpretation' can be fun, eh?
Sumiyoshi chapter 1 . 7/12/2010
... my goodness. Why in the world hasn't anyone reviewed this story yet! (Well, okay, it might be the hack translation of the DS version and the fact that said translators also cut out ALL OF THE DIALOGUE added in the Japanese remakes, but that's another story completely).

Anyway, this is some quality writing right here, and it's about one of the game's most interesting characters, to boot. You've done an excellent job of showing us glimpses of what could have been (twisted dreams that they were); more importantly, you really fleshed out Alena and made her human. Perhaps the only thing that could have improved this fic would have been more cranky old man Brey, but that might just be me.

Still, this is an amazing story; it's stories like these that make me sad that Dragon Quest is as minor as it is in the US.