Reviews for Resonance
KCousland chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
Beautifully done. The developing of a friendship, how they help each other in the difficult times of the lonely tower life, it was truly well rendered, and it makes the last scene truly heartbreaking. I like your writing style, it makes the whole story poignantly solemn, somehow. I'm amazed.
sylphstarwind chapter 1 . 9/25/2010
Wow, you have a great way of creating a back story that supports in-game behavior. Like Jowan and the mouse - simply learning that a lie can protect someone from pain. It's also kinda nice how you keep Jowan and Therrin as best friends and don't romantically involve them. Doesn't seem too hard to do the latter, with how close they are, but I suppose we don't need EVERYONE falling for mage-girl. It's a good change of pace from Cullen, Alistair, the bit of Teagan, the hints of Leliana and Zevran...

Anyway, it's cute to see everyone as kids, even if life's already fairly serious and oppressive for them. Jowan's a glutton for punishment just like Therrin, looks like, falling for the most forbidden person lol. *sigh* Not as lucky as Therrin, though. Very bleak ending. In a good way.
JessicaJones chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
Oh, love the scars! Blood magic without saying it. The only time you actually use the word "blood" is in the first line... brilliant.
Jidabug chapter 1 . 5/2/2010
I've never had much sympathy for Jowan before, but the way you've written his tale makes me feel quite sad for him.
sickening chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
Ohh, Jowan...

... This is bloody lovely. You craft sentences like a master.
Mithrilquill chapter 1 . 1/21/2010
Reviews

I hope I'm starting in the right place, chronologically. But here goes!

There is something hugely endearing in Jowan taking Amell's hand. Right away those romance bells go off in my head even though they're so small, and I start thinking, 'O, maybe there could be something there,' but then I remember how this all ends. And I'm still in love with the gesture, however platonic I've rightly reduced it to, its still such a loving thing. And it really made me smile.

As did Mouse. I was reminded of The Last Emporer, and his little pet, lol. But I like it when I read about someone unexpectedly caring about something, and though its sad to see them lose it as they always do, its just a great tool in fleshing characters out, and it really gives you a good sense of what a person is about. Her reaction to the loss, and her reaction to Jowan, who she left with the responsibility... And then you have Jowan's response, which is so true to his character. He lies to cover a greater sadness. But who is he to decide if that's right or not? (More at his actions later than this small incident with the mouse) Though, they're very similar cases when reduced to absolute simplicity. Something irresponsible happens, then someone lies to reduce someone else pain.

And I know this isn't Cullen's tale, :b but I have to comment on his little bit. Its so nice to see him unjaded, still. It makes me sad at what he has to go through, and how it changes him so much. But this really leaves me wondering... When did he first notice Amell? What was it like? Explain this in a one-shot Cullen POV, pls pls. Thx.

But oh, Jowan. I'm so sad about this! So much death! But its more realistic than how most people portray this bit. So that's refreshing. And it make everything seem so much more real.

Anyway, I'm making split pea soup in between reading and reviewing! I'm sick :(

But I'm pretty set on my Cullen one shot pitch. And expecting me to keep on a'pitchin.
AdorableAnarchist chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
I'm not a fan of Jowan fic, but this is good! I actually like the little rat.
payroo chapter 1 . 1/6/2010
O this was lovely! That bit about the hands and the scarring... oh! You've really brought out the lovable bits of Jowan that are there in the game, just needed a pit of poking out.
tjadis chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
How have I not reviewed this yet?

I love your Jowan here, and how you show us glimpses into how he became what he did, and more glimpses of what life is like for mages growing up in the Tower-and what it turns them into.
Isobel Kelte chapter 1 . 12/22/2009
I've loved your writing ever since I first stumbled across one of your Cullen/Amell fics, and was overjoyed to see this. Therrin is as real and vivid to me as any in-game character, and Jowan is my favorite NPC. I adore the characterization of him you have here; you've captured the very soul of the character in this story. Beyond that, just the -wording- is so perfect; poetic and poignant and heartrending.

One line especially stood out to me:

"There’s only the faintest squirm of guilt at the lie—because she’s disappointed in him but not half as hurt as she would have been at the truth."

That embodies so much about his motives in the mage origin. Foreshadowing it with the anecdote about the mouse was simply masterful.
Malaia chapter 1 . 12/22/2009
3 this story Cris. It's really touching. I might actually be able to stand Jowan at times now.
The Velveteen Rabbit chapter 1 . 12/22/2009
I adore this! There just aren't enough stories about that lovable blood mage. It's a shame things never work out for him, he says the absolute best line during battle.
impsy chapter 1 . 12/22/2009
So sad! I love the way you showed their relationship through the years, and the end, I knew it was coming, but man. Poor Jowan. I do feel bad for him, despite what he did. I hope you write more about him, maybe something about him at Redcliffe and what happened there. Though really whatever you write, I'll read, haha.

Thank you for sharing!