Reviews for All I Want For Yuletide Is To Be Home
Talia119 chapter 1 . 8/1/2013
That was wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
Darkover chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
I liked this! You write dialogue very well. Boromir's line: "Bullies feed on fear, and so I choose to see them starve," was particularly good. I also delighted in the passage in which Boromir catches the nursemaid in the act of abusing his little brother, and so forcibly escorts her to the door. The only criticism I have is that children do not have "paws," they have hands. Otherwise, this was an all-around enjoyable story. Thanks for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
Nonce chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
it's fantastic to see you back here. thank you so much for this wondrous holiday gift - i've missed your house of hurin. what has become of all your other tales?

thank you.
Ithil-valon chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Christmas is the time for magic, and your story was definitely that for me. First of all you gave me the loving Denethor protecting his younger son and even sacrificing for him. The wicked old nanny makes me want to scream, for I cannot abide those who are cruel to children. Fin would have pulled that woman’s hair out by now if she had been around to see her babe with haunted eyes. (Thank you for the brief scene between Finduilas and Denethor. That was golden.)

Faramir drawing a horse on the window is just one example of how your writing draws one in and paints such a beautiful and complete picture that we are immediately and fully “in” the scene. That kind of skill is rare, so I count myself lucky to be able to read your stories.

Now Ancir and Boromir… Sigh, what a friendship those two share. Would that everyone had such a friend with which to share their lives. Already Boromir demonstrates the character that will see him through so many hardships in the coming years…courage, wisdom, and even patience. Of course I have to give a shout out to the future credo of the Captain General, “What cannot be changed, must be borne.” I actually printed that out to put on the wall of my physical therapist year or so ago. It was a good reminder for me and for the other patients! Every time I wanted to whine or quit, I would glance at that on the wall and think about Boromir. It really helped! (So thanks for that, too!)

The toasting muffins scene was just heartwarming. /Faramir went so far as to covertly pinch his own wrist, smiling when it stung, for he had been afraid he might suddenly wake from a dream./ This was just a complete AW for me.

/“Do not store up for the future, that which you cannot handle. Your time is now, but my star is in its ascendancy, and, like all those of my House, I have a very long memory!” Boromir said icily./ These incredible sentences were very nearly my favorite of the entire story. As it is, they were a very, very close second. It was so very Boromir, but I could also hear Denethor in it. I was so into the scene that I could easily – in my mind’s eye – see young Boromir stand to his full height and with simply the weight of his words and his CHARACTER cowl the much older bully, even though the coward had the ability to make him pay for such a statement. Wow that was powerful, truly powerful.

/‘All I want for Yuletide is to be home’/ Having had a child in harm’s way, this made my heart yearn for all those far from home this Christmas season and for their families. It was a timely reminder to keep them in my prayers.

Of course, Boromir coming to Faramir’s aid and discharging Nana Elen was enough to make me stand and cheer. I admit she had me cringing hearing the very words that one day Denethor in his madness would hurl at his youngest.

Of course, you had me laughing out loud at the discourse over old countess Constanza! Love it.

Yes, a Gil and Thor tale! You make me see them so clearly. More, please!

And last, but not least, my favorite line of the entire story: /No matter how uncomfortable they would always face the future together./ It is at once beautiful and heartbreaking.

Wonderful story!
Keeter chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
It took me a good three days to finish this, only because of the hectic holiday schedule. But it was worth it to enjoy your writing once more. I'm so glad you "came back"! How have you been?

My own holiday greetings to you and yours, even if it's a day late.

~Kate
Czechmade chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
Oh my dear, thank you so much for this lovely, lovely Yule story!

It made me both laugh and cry, how much I love these people there! Of course my beloved Boromir, but this lovely sharing in the Denethor family warmed my heart.

Of course I love the language ...I love everything!

You made my own Yule bright!

Have a wonderful and festive time yourself and happy New Year-hopefully full of your beautiful stories too:-)
vtangelchix chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
It is lovely to see you back! I was so delighted and excited to see you back...wonderful holiday surprise.

Your Boromir/Faramir family stories are some of my favorite tales in the world. Even after all these years, they have never failed to create that warm fuzzy feeling inside that's only rivaled in comfort level by the feeling of coming home after a long time away.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones Evendim! Thank you for this wonderful piece!
peersrogue chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
Dear Evendim - you have surpassed yourself. A loving story to linger over and reread. For me, it was simply perfect. Many, many thanks for a wonderful Christmas present.

I wish you a calm and peaceful Christmas that will give you happy memories you will keep forever.
Alasse Greyhame chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
Oh very nice! Great story! I loved it. Thank you for sharing. I wanted to tell you I enjoyed your last two chapters of The Moon Hare as well but my computer was being silly the other day and wouldn't let me review. Anyway thank you for the nice early Christmas present. Have a Merry Christmas and blessed New Year!
SusanMc chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
Not only a little Hurins Yule tale, but a Gil and Thor story as well. A double treat!

The scenes between Denethor and Faramir are such a poignant contrast to what we have been seeing in The Moon Hare. And Denethor saving Faramir from the fire, that just pierced my heart.

Young Boromir is so stoic at such a tender age.

Merry Christmas and thank you for the gift of this wonderful story.
Jebb chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
Thank you so much for this special gift and a glimpse into the early lives of Boromir, Faramir and Ancir.

All three seemed to be suffering not only from loss but from needless cruelty and I admit to having tears in my eyes more than once as I sat here enjoying this visit to so many old friends and a few old foes!

A lovely Yule Story
Susan W chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
Lovely, just lovely! A cuddly tale that warms the heart! :) :) MOST EXCELLENT! :) :) I was so looking forward to this little tale. Thanks for writing it! I so missed you writing a Hurin Christmas tale last year, it's great to have you back in full writing form. :) :)

Pesky cat can leave you alone for now - um, for a short, short time, anyway. ;)

Of course, Nana Elen never fails to show her true self. Thank goodness other people know about her and can watch out for little Faramir. "..I’ve seen her, spellin’ Elen, rides a broomstick, bet she sleeps in the belfry, hanging by her knees!” Baldric growled." snicker! Seems the whole city knows about Nana Elen, she must be great gossip fodder.

Loved the scenes as Faramir went for his daily visits with Denethor. At least it was still a time in his very young life that the Steward paid attention to him as a father and son dynamic.

What a cute picture this scene gave impression of; "..wheaten, pregnant, hound bitch crawled to the child’s dangling feet, trying to be invisible no doubt, strange canine."

"“Boromir is my gift,” said Faramir, and the memory of the honesty displayed in his brother’s blue eyes would remain in Boromir’s heart forever." Aww! Poor little tyke! What a time to have to be away from family, when it's already broken by loss of their beloved mother. Little Faramir especially needs the attention of family members that are left. sniffles! Loved the ending with the brothers overlooking the Pelennor and enjoying the company of the other for the short time they have together. Sweet!

Thanks for writing this tale! Have a very Merry Christmas yourself!
cleis chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
happy christmas! thank you for this heart-warming story! the characterization was great! faramir is so adorable! i'm glad boromir is still in character :) what a great present!
acacia59601 chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
Great Christmas fic, I'm very impressed! I love seeing all your characters again, and I can't wait to see more of them!
CapriceAnn Hedican-Kocur chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
thank you! This was a beautiful Denethor moment. . . .and we also got a brief glance at Thor and Gil!