Reviews for Calamity
Smile-I'mTheEndOfAllThatYouSee chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Very well written
awesome story xx chapter 1 . 8/5/2011
Your vocabulary, and the way you have used it, is amazing, as is the way you have used figurative. I really enjoyed reading the story, especially as it is quite unique in the fact it explores Carlisle and Emmett's relationship, and Emmett as a newborn. I love how the ending links back to both the beginning and the title, and like the title itself. I think you have understood Carlisle's character perfectly, and it is exactly how I would have imagined it, and is easy to picture thanks to your exquisite detail.

theseraveneyes chapter 1 . 1/12/2011
Another lovely piece, with fantastic writing. There is a sense of calm despite the sense of foreboding on Carlisle's part and the situation with Emmett, one of love and closeness despite the thick tension between the members of the Cullen family. Loved that you gave Carlisle and Esme a sweet ending too. :)
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 8/29/2010
A great story. Very well written.
bananafox chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
this is an amazing story. you captured the family dynamics brilliantly. i loved emmett & edward running off to see the fires. the father/son interaction is very well written. emmett's remorse and carlisle response is terrific. i hope you write some more along these lines.
copiouslykind chapter 1 . 1/6/2010
It is always a great joy to read your work. You have the ability to express your characters’ most relevant emotions using their surroundings and thoughts with superb descriptions to draw realism and tangibility into a colorfully imaginative world.

By incorporating the dark billows of smoke rising into the already overcast skies, Carlisle’s despair at the unfortunate events of the day is heightened while still explaining the extent to which Edward and Emmett’s bond has grown in Esme’s worry about their constant play around the blazes. It also suggests how Emmett’s victim was disposed of. That is a very intelligent and well placed detail.

You also did a terrific job with Carlisle’s interaction with Emmett. His utter shock at Emmett’s proposal to be punished in the way his human father used to was particularly well written and very in-character of the older vampire. By leading his thoughts from there, through his consideration of the younger vampire as Rosalie’s mate to when he realizes that Emmett is truly his son, you beautifully highlighted Carlisle’s compassion and wisdom without compromising his strength as a capable leader.

Most of all, you began and ended marvelously. Both captivating and compelling, you were quick to lay the facts on the table, weaving a great plot from start to finish. Carlisle’s thoughts at the end, to enlighten Esme about his day, suggest his faith that his earlier misfortunes are truly over and he can now look forward to the best of the rest of the day.

Calamity is a heartbreakingly beautiful read, a thriller, and a wonder-filled magnum opus.

Five stars for a job well done!
persephonesfolly chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
Nice job! I like the way you wrote Carlisle's POV, articulate, kind, yet capable of disappointment, and surprise. You've really fleshed out a character who was such a minor supporting cast member in the Twilight books. Carlisle's age shows as well in your choice of the words he uses, words that show education as well as links to other ages in literature when using multi-syllabic words was not frowned upon but celebrated.
Openhome chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
I loved this! The boys playing with fire was the perfect ending to what could have been a very melancholy story. Very well done! As a foster and adoptive mother, there is a moment in which you choose to claim love, and that moment is magical. You have written it well.
annsteph chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
This is such an amazing story. All the characters are true reflections of the ones portrayed in the books. It is so great having the opportunity to read such fine work by a superb author. You have done an excellent job with the beginnings of the father/son relationship for Carlisle and Emmett. Thanks for posting such an enjoyable read.
akaMick chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
Wow, Edwina, this was very good. Made me think a whole lot more than most fics out there. So much more than your basic ExB fic. I love the had me thinking smut even though you didn't include any - it was a nice change of pace from my usual stories...I will definately be back so keep writing!...Mick
ES3 chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
I love this moment you chose to describe because we get to see the strength Carlisle has as a leader. It's also interesting because some thoughtful gray areas are explored. Emmett can be forgiven just as Edward has been for his "indiscretions," but all most be committed to doing better to keep the family safe. I like that Rosalie pointed out some of the hypocrisy in Edward's actions and of your treatment of her character in general.

Hope you're having a happy holidays!