Reviews for Mistaken Identity
TadPole11 chapter 1 . 12/23/2011
I kinda like that Mycroft remains sort of mysterious, both in all the movies and TV shows, even in the new BBC show...but I don't think ultimately I could take it if he were in cahoots with Moriarty. Nice fic though, and certainly plausible if you gave him proper motivation.
Cmdr's Monkey chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Ah, so I'm not the only one who thinks Mycroft is the real mastermind behind the criminal world. Heh. Some people may think that it's impossible for Mycroft to be the mastermind, but frankly I think it is quite possible. He's in a position to be one, he's smarter than his brother (an admission Sherlock has made on numerous occasions), and Mycroft has had so little page time that there is plenty of room to make such a possibility plausible. Would Sherlock have found out on his own? Possibly but not likely. Again we must go back to the fact that Mycroft, by Sherlock's own admission, is the smarter brother and that since they are brothers, Mycroft would know how to manipulate the younger so that his "profession" remains a secret. There is also the issue of familial bond, one tends to ignore the black deeds of other family members for the sake of family reputation and their own sanity. Sherlock is also egotistical and vain enough that he'd probably would let it pass to protect his own reputation, especially considering that he's "solved" cases for his brother that could come in to question and backtrack to accuse him as an accomplice. What better way to remove competition than to sic your detective brother on them? Heh.

Anyway, I don't like the Mary Sue, but she's not annoying at least so it made the story enjoyable. Though I think this story could have been better written from Mycroft's point of view with a final conversation with Sherlock while the woman went to get the constable rather than shooting her. And at the end of that conversation Sherlock convinces Mycroft to kill himself rather than face the dock and ruin the family name. Whether he does it or not or tries to kill his younger brother instead, is up to the writer.
Imp chapter 1 . 8/11/2003
That was extraordinarily unusual. But, none the less, rather pleasantly well written for such a fan fiction.

The entire story was, in most respects, quite absurd. Absurd though, not as in laughable or stupid, only in its probability; for the possibility of such a twisting of Mycroft's character and such, is quite...impossible. Never the less, it was written so as to be intriguing - though the characterizations were somewhat off - and your female character was not nearly a flimsy, absurd paper creation as so many are.

I can't say I LIKE the idea of an evil Mycroft, of a wronged Professor Moriarty (entirely unlikely), and most of all a 'girlfriend' for Sherlock. And yet you pulled the aforementioned points off amazingly well for their seeming oddness and improbability.

Certainly not canon, nor consistent with it. (You have seen the TV Jeremy Brett films, have you not?) However, you did manage it admirably for such a departure from the 'truth' of Doyle.

Toodles - IMP
Aurora Magician chapter 1 . 11/16/2002
NO NO NO NO NO NO! You simply CANNOT just LEAVE it there! You HAVE TO GO ON! You have to finish the story! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write MORE!
SilverPuppy chapter 1 . 6/4/2002
Good Story...But come on, really, Mycroft can't possibly have been working for Moriorty!
Dali2theLlamasquared chapter 1 . 3/17/2002
Wow! Very powerful! That was really a good story! I hope you have written more! That was really really really really good! It was spooking me out for a while. Is it really rated G? I liked it, though! Keep up the good work!
Ray Travis chapter 1 . 2/14/2002
Outstanding! A terrific piece, and a brilliant innovation. I've always felt that the joy, of fan-fic, was in telling stories that would not have been told by the original author. You have done that well. I vote for no prequel, as it would undermine the power of this excellent story.
Hank Riddle chapter 1 . 2/13/2002
Hmmm... What an interesting idea. Somehow, it seems to fit. A word of warning - if you agree with others and set about to write a prequel, I would be careful. This peice of writing is singularily powerful in nature, and the prequel would have to be written just right in order not to dilute the strength of the original piece. If you *do* decide to explain how this event came to be, I wish you luck! Hank Riddle
GAT chapter 1 . 2/12/2002
*silent* Impressive. I've always liked the idea that Mycroft turns out to be a criminal after all.
Shannon Holmes chapter 1 . 2/6/2002
Golly gee, that was awefully good. Fot a second I thought that you were going to have Holmes get shot and then you didn't but I really like what you did with it. I like Mycroft being the head of the organization that is really cool.
LA chapter 1 . 2/2/2002
This is an interesting story and I think you did a pretty good job at writing it but I'm not too crazy about how it ended.
Kit Thespian chapter 1 . 1/28/2002
Whaa...? Did she die? I hope not. That can't be the end! You have to write more! I guess I'm kind of into that Mycroft was a villian thing. Please write more! I luv these kinds of stories.
Essy chapter 1 . 1/27/2002
I'm with Sarah; this just begs for prequels.

I like what you've done here. I was always vaguely unconvinced by Moriarty. It always seemed like the only person who should have been a true match for Holmes should have been another Holmes. *g*

Anyway, well done. A couple of Americanisms crept in, but still a good read.
Rachel chapter 1 . 1/25/2002
bravo! bravo! me and my friend have long had an inside joke that mycroft was evil, being fans, and this is just really amusing. write more! brilliant!
Someday Sara chapter 1 . 1/23/2002
Wow, I loved this! It was very exciting, new, and inventive! Is there more to this story? There seems to be an entire "back story" around it, I would love to read that! I hope you'll write something of the sort, otherwise, keep up the good work.