Reviews for Going Up In Flames
Zinfer chapter 1 . 3/13/2012
It was cool for u to do a more show-based fic, and u did do a great job at it. Though I still enjoy the non-canon stuff a lot!
Rosetta Brunestud chapter 1 . 8/29/2010
You know, I think the main difference between hurt Dean fanfics and Hurt Dean in the series is Sam... Because unless Dean is about to die, I don't think he would be all that worried all the time, like we see in the fan stories. I think Sam would act a little like that: just bitching about it and helping only when Dean really needed it ehhe

And obviously, Dean wouldn't let him do most of the things people write in fanfics, like never! ahaha But, I don't know, I already read lots of hurt stuff that wasn't really that far from the series, that wasn't THAT OOC, you know?

I hope all the things I wrote here make any sense, cause I'm not all that good with english and sometimes I mess all up ahahaa Especially when I talk too much, like now Cause I'm brazilian, so not even close to a native english speaker lol

So, about the story... ehehe I liked it DD

See you around

Rosetta
SNIsLove chapter 1 . 1/13/2010
Poor poor poor Dean...what a good brother Sam is :)

Wonderful story...full of brotherly awesomeness! I loved the begining..the way you set up the room, totally peacful...I could just see the brothers coming in and ruining it all! I also loved the brotherly banter...even when Dean is in such pain they keep it up!

Another great story!
Tribble Master chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
I 3 the last line. The fridge agreed, lol. The descrptions are fanstatic, I can feel the heat. Very nice and fun stuff.

And just so you know, I loved the first paragraph alot. I don't know why (probably cause your awesome). I read it and had to stop reading this story, I was just hit across the head with inspiration. Your descrptions were great so I went and wrote something about a ghost burning Dean.

Wonderful story! Thanks for the inspiration! write on!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 12/30/2009
I really like this idea you guys have come up with. The fics have all been great, too. You did a really good job with capturing the Winchesters we see on the show as opposed to in regular fic.

Nicely done! :)
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
Wow - there really is a difference... where's the concern/ the hovering? But I guess you are right.. I'm trying to remember how they react to each other when hurt in the show. Of course fanfic has them hurt WAY more than the show.

I like comforting Sam vs. deal with it Sam.

Good story though.. really liked it.
PhoenixDragonDreamer chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
This was awesome!

Poor Dean *chuckles a bit* - he really does get the shit end, doesn't he?

*hugs*

Mandy
nwspaprtaxis chapter 1 . 12/28/2009
Hey! This is the first chance I had to sit down and review... and congrats on hitting 50 stories on here and... well... for fulfilling my crack. I think - unbiasedly, of course - that this is my favorite of the four *winks* and my addiction to your details have no bearing whatsoever on that. Nope. Not at all.

Okay, that said, here I go:

LOVE the description of the room. LOVES IT! LOVES how dark and neat and everything it is... then you have the genius to write: "The room was quiet. And dark. / And then the door opened and the room became a chaos of noise and light." GAH! You write THAT and it's literally explosive and you wonder why I'm helpless to my crack addiction?

LOVE the dialogue. Your Sam is totally S1 b*tchy ("Dean, now!"). Totally in-character. Love him bossing Dean. Even though others may not like this, I think it works really well. Mostly because Dean's just barely holding on and by barking orders and commands, Sammy's able to keep Dean's focus on the here and now and to give him some kind of stability to do what needs to be done. It's kind of sad in a way because it exploits Dean's inherent drive to obey orders, but on the other hand, it's what Dean needs. AWESOME!

LOVE your poor, barely-lucid, in pain Dean. He's pretty much a little lost boy here. My favorite segment was "Dean groaned and clutched at his hand, bringing it closer to his chest; he didn’t know what he was trying to protect more… his arm or his chest. ... The truth was… he wanted to just sit down on the floor, right where he was standing and rock back and forth like a baby, trying not to cry too much. ... He stumbled into the room, clutched at the sleeve of Sam’s jacket when the force of the stumble made him sway way too much. He had to let go of the ice package in favor of doing that, and it fell down to the floor. ... There went his ice package; and he worked so hard to get it just right… and now everything was scattered all over the floor; little and big ice cubes… lying miserably on the carpet. Duck tape is for shit now days, can’t even hold a T-shirt filled with ice together, Dean thought while he watched his relief melt into the carpet." Poor guy. I can just totally see him barely standing, swaying on his feet, cradling his arm, looking like he's going to burst into tears, and losing the ice pack he painstakingly put together. *pets him and hands him new ice pack* And then he thinks Sam's a magician because he's so incoherent and doesn't know what he wants to do... only that he hurts and all his thoughts are consumed with the pain from his burn. *sighs* I's in loves with your hurt Dean... give me a moment.

Love Sammy just holding his brother upright, remaking the icepack, and then pressing it back against the wound and making sure Dean doesn't wipe out on the floor between the door and the bed. But then Sammy totally backs off, which I love and is so in character.

But Gawd. Poor Dean. He must be really in some serious pain to wish he could pass out. But being Dean, he forges ahead and tears off the burned shirt. LOVE his screams and love this line most of all: “Okay,” pant, “… okay… ” pant, “… that,” pant, “… hurt. That hurt,” a breath in through his nose, “really really,” a breath out through his mouth, “bad.” He whispered to the ceiling and the fridge made a sound like it was agreeing with him." You've got the sensations of pain nailed. That was so me... I was not speaking in complete sentences. That line was so me when I had to get up for the first time following surgery. *pushes Dean on bed and crawls up besides him with ice and aloe and kisses*

Then he sucks it up and cleans himself up and sees that his arm looks like mangled meat but he still crawls back to the bed... so TV!Dean. Like none of this Sammy monologuing and half-carrying him. This is SO WINCHESTER.

But then you have Classic!Dean: “Does it hurt?” / “Do birds fly?” ROFL! I wish I thought of that when my doctors were asking me that question in the hospital. GO DEAN! LOL! Loves it! My god... I swear my doctor asked me if I was in pain the night following my surgery... and I wish I was lucid enough to tell him "Do birds fly?" LOL! This is AWESOME!

And the Holy Water... *winces* God, girl, you're brutal to the guy tonight. And I'm in loves. Like pausing on Dean bleeding out in Devil's Trap loves. What this says about me, I don't wanna know. At all. And I can just see Dean in being in too much pain and shock to scream and just seizing up with it - like his body going completely rigid and he's clenching his jaw. And the wound's bubbling and emitting a g*dawful smell. And then just arching in blind pain before... mercifully blacking out.

Then Sammy so steps in and takes care of Dean's arm so he doesn't have to do it when he comes back around and it's all bandaged and covered in cool cream and just ... not burning anymore. But Sam totally gives the cream to him for his chest because he isn't going to nursemaid him.

And you gorgeously go back to the beginning with the room wishing for peace and quiet and the hum of the fridge agreeing.

'M not sure if anyone picked up on this, but I am IN LOVES with your title. It not only refers to the way Dean feels, but also the boys' lives. And being burned must have been the worst thing possible for Dean because well... a Supernatural fire took his mom from him and Sam, and a Supernatural fire took Jess from Sam. Like fires just take everything away from the Winchesters and Dean'd pulled Sam from a fire twice in their lives as of S1, so being burned by something supernatural has even more ramifications when taken in account with Dean's history. And love how you keep the fic so tight and hot with the sensation of Dean burning, and the burn still radiating heat. Just... GAH! It's PERFECT!

*and swipes at you for deriding your fic again...*
TheKritty chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
Aw I can't stop squeing!Seriously *drops* I'm dying from Dean's cuteness here!The cuteness of both of them!

"“Sam… I don’t… feel so g’d,” he breathed out with small puffs of air. The room was swinging before his eyes and Sam’s face was coming closer and closer, his brother’s eyes getting bigger and bigger and his lips tighter and tighter – was Sam angry? - and before he knew it his head hit something soft yet hard and it was moving underneath his forehead.

It was kind of neat; the movement… he would probably be able to see beauty in it"

- I would LOVELOVELOVE to watch this happen in the show! Dean and Sam in this position - without any wincest-y thoughts! -man, simple beauty!

I don't know exactly why, but this little scene got to me, it made me shudder with pleasure and dying-from-cuteness and I was grinning SO wide and it really made my evening even more perfect than he was.

hurt!dean was GREAT, Sam-in-charge was amazing too (although he could have been a little bit more worried, but I was okay with that, because in the show he wasn't always THAT worried like in fangirls-made-Fanfictions - if you know what I mean...) and they were quite in character!

Very very very very well done!

Kritty
nope nope not me chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
This is awesome. Love that last line, and how clingy Dean was.

Well. i allways love clingy!dean, but meh. this is awesome, thank you.
Swellison chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Hm, Sam acts a bit too distant in this one for me. Maybe that's the point you're making, that the way fanfic handles one Winchester looking after his injured brother is a lot more touchy-feely than the show. Still, there's a couple of things that didn't feel right, like Sam telling Dean to go and clean himself up in the bathroom while he goes out to the car to get some stuff, without even making sure that Dean, who is wobbly on his pins, actually made it to the bathroom.

And then there's the holy water, which is Sam's idea. He just gives Dean the bottle of whiskey and the holy water and expects Dean to handle both, even tho he's obviously only got one working, flexible hand to hold onto both the whiskey bottle and pour the holy water over his burned arm. I would think that Sam would be the one pouring the holy water over Dean's arm and watching for the reaction - sizzling, etc.

Sue
ritsam chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Though I don't like Hurt Dean stories (you know me...you and I both prayed hard for limp Sam lol), but your ones kinda funny! Sam brings burn cream for Dean...good good!

You are slowly forgetting about me, I get that.

And am teary.

And am pouty.

But I love you...

Ritu...3 U
Mad Server chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Well done! You did an amazing job making Dean all needy and Sam all brush-off-y, and still managed to have great, believable comfort moments. On the one hand, Dean's having to crawl back from the bathroom because Sam's not helping him back to bed, and he's sitting there wanting Sam to come and help him disinfect the burn, and Sam's taking off to the car when Dean's all shaky - very Dogme. On the other hand Sam's right there giving Dean the tools he needs to take care of himself, helping him in from the car, and (gah) bandaging everything up neatly while Dean's passed out on the bed - also Dogme, but from these we see he does care and is looking out for Dean.

I love Dean's back hitting the cool sheets, and Dean all dizzy and thinking he's going to puke or pass out, and the fever. And the pain just stopping Dean's brain and making him want to cry. Poor overwhelmed honey.
PADavis chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
That was amazing. I had a semiserious burn one time and this rang as true as anything I've ever read. Your brain just stops. But this was Dean's brain, and swaying and hanging on to Sam and hoping he'd help with the holy water... loved the pacing, as the pain progressed past all understanding, and Dean passed out.

Lovely lovekiness.

Phoebe
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Ouch. You are one perfectly sadistic writer. But painfully good - you make me cringe and writhe in pain with Dean together. Hell, that burn... I only burned myself on hot (boiling) water and steam, only a tiny tiny burn. But HELL did that hurt. And to imagine something that melts you clothes into your skin. F*!

This is awesome. And point-on Dean. No schmoopy brotherly hugging, no 'single tear that escaped his emerald, pain-filled eyes' - just plain Dean in pain and being a bitch. I'm a little curious as to what Sam was doing, since he seemed a little distant. But then again, it was strictly Dean's POV and he was rather preoccupied.

I say: five stars out of four for this amazingly painful fic. I worry about Dean's chest, by the way.

Thank you for a wonderfully painful read

Marlowe (who goes to find the other fics from this experiment...)