Reviews for Chanson de Geste
cjadak chapter 10 . 3/18/2014
Evocative of Roger Zelazany's books...enjoying this and C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors
Guest chapter 26 . 2/17/2014
I just read this incredible story for the second time. I don't recall if I reviewed before, but I'm going to do so again. This is amazing. And I will never be able to think of Narnia as High Fantasy again- which is MORE than okay with me, because wow. The politics and the intrigue were some of the most fascinating parts, but your portrayal of the characters is what really got me. Edmund is precisely what he ought to be, Jadis, so much more than Lewis allowed her to be, and that's great.
Like another reviewer here, perhaps more than one, I allowed myself to be disappointed by the end, perhaps because whatever Jadis and Edmund were exactly, I loved it, (I admit that in my mind, it was probably a creepy romance, as you described it, with shades of the second possibility you described) and I didn't want to see it end. I'd have loved just to see it go on and on, with her leaning over Edmund's shoulder, whispering what could never be described as sweet nothings in his ear. For some reason, some of my favorite parts of this story were moments where Edmund's siblings were aware of Jadis, or interacted with her. The moment when Edmund stopped to stare at her in the middle of a fight with his family was one of the best scenes, I thought.
You've created something spectacularly good.
Thank you so much.
-Boar
Vercingetorix1234 chapter 24 . 11/9/2013
I'm reviewing to let you know that this is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. Your fics in general are just awesome. I hope you get back to writing eventually. Do you write any original fiction, by the way? I'd be really interested in reading anything else you write.
I.V Lestrange chapter 1 . 9/9/2013
This is BRILLIANT! I cannot believe that you wrote this! You are AMAZING! I am so in love with this story!

(clears throat) Sorry about that. I just finished the story a few days ago and I'm only just beginning to return to normal. I've been suffering 'good story withdrawal' since I finished it. I love it so much. I really do. In fact, I've been recommending it non-stop to my mother and brother who, like me, like a good well-written story with an intriguing plot.

My god! I don't know where to start! Well, first of all, you've managed to make everyone as 'in character' as possible; given that this is a fanfic and that things are pretty different from the original Narnia books in the sense that its more mature and realistic. I love how you've managed to capture the mind-boggling complexities of politics, giving the story an addicting reality to it. Also, you describe the scene so well that I could see Charn clearly in my minds eye; as well as the battles and everything else. Its so captivating the story you weaved.
I especially like how you didn't make the characters perfectly good or perfectly evil. They had an interesting balance. You've also just let everything play out. You let the characters decide on what to do when faced with something. You let the characters live it out on their own. I don't think you manipulated much in this story, and I greatly admire you for it. I've always loved writers who could let the characters be and just write what they see and hear.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is that I really, really, REALLY want you to write another one. I have a feeling that it WOULD be interesting. I would love to see and hear what you see and hear. Its is simply spell-binding. You are such a great author and I would like to say for the last time that I LOVE this. Please continue on writing.

Chanson de Geste's biggest fan,
I.V Lestrange
Starbrat chapter 25 . 3/24/2013
That was a brilliantly written story. Thank you.
Guest chapter 25 . 10/11/2012
Thanks very much for this. It's wonderful, complex and challenging, and it really questions the simple cosmologies that Lewis gave us. You've made my day.
Anderkent chapter 26 . 6/13/2012
Call me romantic, but I can't help the feeling that, but the curse of Lucy, Edmund and Jadis could help each other a lot. She's hardly irredeemable. In that I find the ending a bit disappointing - well, I guess I am a sucker for happy ends.

In general though, this is an amazing piece of writing and a marvellous deconstruction of Narnias universe.
Lunashura chapter 26 . 4/16/2012
Great story! I enjoyed it.

I like the way you used Middle Age stuff, and the great among of details in the descrption of objects and places, of Charn (congrats for finding those crazy names), the political implications you put in it,... it all make the story real, somehow.

I like how you let a lot of liberty to the reader: we can interpret some aspects and sentences the way we want, and also read between the lines. Well, sometimes too much maybe, but I truly admire the writers who can do that.

I also like the characters, all of them are IC or, for the one you created, quite interesting. Especially Affa, it would have been nice to see him more often.

Finally, I enjoyed to have a darker point of view on the time as Kings and Queens of the Pevensies, to see them rule a kingdome and not only as happy children wearing a crown, enjoying themselves all day long. However, I found it exaggerated to see Edmund wanting to go back to England, and presenting their adventures as mainly painful. I mean, it certainly had very harsh times, but... personally, I like to think that the four of them feel Narnian, not only Lucy.

Still...I had a pleasant time to read this fic!
Bri chapter 26 . 3/3/2012
I really really liked this! It's one of the most interesting portrayals of Narnia that I've seen, and I really enjoyed the elements of realism that you incorporated. This is the best characterization of Jadis I think I've read. In general, awesome idea, wonderful writing-definitely one of the top fics I've read. You're an amazing author!
Bri chapter 26 . 3/3/2012
spinningleaves chapter 26 . 12/4/2011
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I love seeing a darker more realistic and political view of Narnia. Jadis was the perfect person for Edmund to explore this topic with. I also love that you didn't let Susan turn into a useless caricature. Simply fabulous, well written and well grounded psychological tale!
THE FLAMER chapter 26 . 9/17/2011
THIS FIC IS STUPID!

Oh, you just got flamed by one and only “The Flamer”! A flamer by trade, of course. The best at it, The Flamer is.

The Flamer, signing out.

~The Flamer
lifechiaroscuro chapter 25 . 7/3/2011
One of, if not the strangest AUs I've read, honestly, and maybe will ever read (though I don't read a lot of AUs). But also one of the most interesting and engaging.

Great story!

P.S.~ What exactly did Lucy do when she cursed Jadis?

~Caity :)
Heartwould chapter 25 . 5/20/2011
I found Chanson de Geste through rth stewarts' favourite stories links, and, oh my goodness, am amply, thoroughly rewarded for exploring what rth likes. This is a wonderful story, congratulations!

You've done the best haunting I've ever read; the tendrils of personality which remain linked to the, um, played person are a brilliant invention. How utterly creepy! That's only one element of the story that makes your Narnia brilliant - this isn't the sunny, sinless Narnia of CS Lewis, these Pevensies get their hands dirty, each one of them, and it makes them very interesting characters.

I really, really like that Lucy is Narnian, while the older ones are English, and that this means she sees the edges better, and she's not such a sentimental Christian! I think that's the promise I'm smelling, here, that there might be a Narnia that isn't late-Victorian in its morality. Narnia is wilder than its author allowed, I feel.

Thank you for all this work! You inspire me.
134 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »