Reviews for Chanson de Geste
Anderkent chapter 26 . 6/13/2012
Call me romantic, but I can't help the feeling that, but the curse of Lucy, Edmund and Jadis could help each other a lot. She's hardly irredeemable. In that I find the ending a bit disappointing - well, I guess I am a sucker for happy ends.

In general though, this is an amazing piece of writing and a marvellous deconstruction of Narnias universe.
Lunashura chapter 26 . 4/16/2012
Great story! I enjoyed it.

I like the way you used Middle Age stuff, and the great among of details in the descrption of objects and places, of Charn (congrats for finding those crazy names), the political implications you put in it,... it all make the story real, somehow.

I like how you let a lot of liberty to the reader: we can interpret some aspects and sentences the way we want, and also read between the lines. Well, sometimes too much maybe, but I truly admire the writers who can do that.

I also like the characters, all of them are IC or, for the one you created, quite interesting. Especially Affa, it would have been nice to see him more often.

Finally, I enjoyed to have a darker point of view on the time as Kings and Queens of the Pevensies, to see them rule a kingdome and not only as happy children wearing a crown, enjoying themselves all day long. However, I found it exaggerated to see Edmund wanting to go back to England, and presenting their adventures as mainly painful. I mean, it certainly had very harsh times, but... personally, I like to think that the four of them feel Narnian, not only Lucy.

Still...I had a pleasant time to read this fic!
Bri chapter 26 . 3/3/2012
I really really liked this! It's one of the most interesting portrayals of Narnia that I've seen, and I really enjoyed the elements of realism that you incorporated. This is the best characterization of Jadis I think I've read. In general, awesome idea, wonderful writing-definitely one of the top fics I've read. You're an amazing author!
Bri chapter 26 . 3/3/2012
spinningleaves chapter 26 . 12/4/2011
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I love seeing a darker more realistic and political view of Narnia. Jadis was the perfect person for Edmund to explore this topic with. I also love that you didn't let Susan turn into a useless caricature. Simply fabulous, well written and well grounded psychological tale!
THE FLAMER chapter 26 . 9/17/2011

Oh, you just got flamed by one and only “The Flamer”! A flamer by trade, of course. The best at it, The Flamer is.

The Flamer, signing out.

~The Flamer
lifechiaroscuro chapter 25 . 7/3/2011
One of, if not the strangest AUs I've read, honestly, and maybe will ever read (though I don't read a lot of AUs). But also one of the most interesting and engaging.

Great story!

P.S.~ What exactly did Lucy do when she cursed Jadis?

~Caity :)
Heartwould chapter 25 . 5/20/2011
I found Chanson de Geste through rth stewarts' favourite stories links, and, oh my goodness, am amply, thoroughly rewarded for exploring what rth likes. This is a wonderful story, congratulations!

You've done the best haunting I've ever read; the tendrils of personality which remain linked to the, um, played person are a brilliant invention. How utterly creepy! That's only one element of the story that makes your Narnia brilliant - this isn't the sunny, sinless Narnia of CS Lewis, these Pevensies get their hands dirty, each one of them, and it makes them very interesting characters.

I really, really like that Lucy is Narnian, while the older ones are English, and that this means she sees the edges better, and she's not such a sentimental Christian! I think that's the promise I'm smelling, here, that there might be a Narnia that isn't late-Victorian in its morality. Narnia is wilder than its author allowed, I feel.

Thank you for all this work! You inspire me.
ilysia chapter 24 . 5/13/2011
One thing I really do love about your world is how real it is- Edmund sits at a magnificent banquet and what does he worry about? The cost. And really, how could he not, taking into consideration Susan's banquets in the past.

The one thing I loved above all else in this was Edmund's decision that he would, at any cost, keep Susan off that train, out of that crash. I love that you introduce another motive for that incident.
ilysia chapter 23 . 5/13/2011
Oh, oh my. Oh, Lucy. Well, that was unexpected. But it fits, you know, in this dark and dangerous and twistingly lovely world you've built; it fits that Lucy would play her own part in this. The distinction that she makes between her siblings and herself- that she is Narnian, they English- is just perfect, I think. She is the youngest, after all, and perhaps fit into Narnia a bit better than they.

And her curse on Jadis- the description of the end reminded me of nothing so much as Ragnorak, which very much fits in with the Northern feel of the whole tale.
rthstewart chapter 24 . 5/10/2011
And so come to the end of an extraordinary story. In what "state" of being are Jadis, Iaida, and their mother? I've asked before, sometimes I have had the sense of a physical/sexual attraction between them, and other times not. How would you characterize the emotion between them? This final chapter reads as Jadis really flirting with him. Am I inventing that?

Edmund's description of how Peter will leap back into Narnia at the crash and Lucy will be going home and Edmund's resolve to keep Susan off the train was wonderful.

And, rats, I had some other question about the previous chapter, and forgot it now.

It is interesting that for all of Jadis' manipulation of Edmund and the game they play and Tash's attempts and failures that it is Lucy who gets the better of Jadis. Could you talk about that, please?

In sum, this is a remarkable, original, unique, grim story. I never tried to figure out what was going on but was content to go along for the ride and see where you took us. Virtually every line begs for expansion and I would love to see more of this vision -especially with more of the wry humor and less of the drive Edmund to early grave. Like Jadis and Edmund, I forgot that the stars had predicted his death which meant that neither Tash nor Fryen would kill him.

rthstewart chapter 23 . 5/10/2011
This rendering of Lucy as Narnian, and gifted with magic to curse Jadis forever is amazing. A brilliant, chilling conclusion and I have the sense that she will not feel the guilt Edmund might, that she has no compunction in vengeance on her brother's behalf. She does here what Edmund would never do.

As for the A/N: Relationship between Aslan and Jadis: discuss. Who is the real villain of the piece? Tash? or Aslan?
rthstewart chapter 22 . 5/10/2011
So, going back and re-reading the last chapters, now seeing the important points about Lucy allowing the mother to visit. Susan is such an interesting character in your hands - on the one hand, she comes across as vain and a spendthrift. Yet, there was that chapter where she expressed very clearly, speaking to Jadis, that she knew precisely what she was doing and what fate awaited her siblings.

Loved the line about the cat and arsenic. And so Jadis begins to become human. So, here's a question for the a/n - what does it mean that Edmund beat Tash and Jadis "becomes" human/alive/not dead/not damned and her mother and sister are free. What is Jadis? You state that she becomes the LotGK, so is it because of Edmund's win here that she is able to take that corporal form later?
Dr.Olga chapter 24 . 5/9/2011
WOW. Just wow. This has to be one of the best, if not THE best story I've ever read on this site. I wish I could write you a better review, but I'm freaking speechless right now. I'm just sad the story's over! Amazing job, you have a real talent, and I hope to read more of your work in the future.
128 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »