Reviews for Chanson de Geste
rthstewart chapter 11 . 4/10/2010
So, another odd chapter. I had whined to Metonomia that I really feel too dim witted to leave anything like a review. So, among the things that struck in my particular is the way world building drops in an out, like the Grain King being buried alive to pacify Zardeenah. Oh. Ew. Wow. Of course, once we read it, it makes perfect sense that the matriarchy of sisters and witches of Charn would have a sacrifice involving the death of a King.

Sigerite Inquisitors and oils on the body of the woman that allowed her to assume that cat shape. Again. Oh. Wow. A witch hunt. I do not believe this would be a good thing in this superstitious and strange place. Never mind that in fact it is magic. But, I do wonder if the counter-force, the Inquisitors and the exorcising monks have any power over these elements? And if so, what does Edmund thing? He seems to believe them, as he did send for them. And how do these decidedly medieval elements fit in with the Narnia pantheon?

The archeology is also fascinating. I do like how you write the Dwarfs with their swearing and hard work.

I really fear for Edmund in this game. I feel real dread over it. Jadis is sad and pathetic, in her way, but I am reminded very much that it is very difficult for the moral to battle and defeat the utterly amoral without their being some really significant cost.
Metonomia chapter 11 . 4/9/2010
So, this story is AMAZING. I keep meaning to go back and leave reviews for every chapter, and I will still try to do that at some point, but I figured I should start reviewing as I go along any way.

I LOVE the world building you're doing here - it's like an Anglo-Saxon/medieval/French/English/Germanic blend of awesomeness, and I am absolutely adoring it. In this chapter, for example - geology! Archaeology! And all the stuff that's come before, with the synod of bishops and the exorcism and now they're calling in a witch-hunt...it's a crazy, complex, totally brilliant setting, and I love how smart this story is.

And speaking of world building - Charn! I have no idea how you came up with this vision of Narnia, let alone with the game Jadis and Edmund are playing, but it is really brilliant and so intriguing.

I get the feeling that I'm beginning to see the point of Jadis' game. It's not over until Edmund wins...but Edmund won't be able to win until he plays it like she does. At least, I'm guessing that's her rationale. This Narnia and this Edmund are dark and intelligent and so well-written, and I love it!

More thoughts to come sporadically as I go back to the previous chapters. Thank you so much for writing this wonderful story!
Rowena Stark chapter 11 . 4/9/2010
I do like the relationship between Jadis and Edmund. It's...realistic and interesting, and makes you think. Good chapter and update soon! )
Rowena Stark chapter 10 . 3/31/2010
This story is so interesting and unique! Your characterzation of Jadis is...well very incharacter yet it lets us see different aspects of her life that makes the reader like her. That is quite an accomplishment. Your writing of Edmund is also very in-character and well done. I like the little insights we see into Charn. Update soon! )
Lara86 chapter 10 . 3/29/2010
Really, really interesting! I can't wait to read more!
Autumnia chapter 3 . 3/28/2010
What an interesting story! I haven't seen one like this before, and I'm glad rthstewart's recommendation of it brought me here.

Your Narnia is so different from what everyone else has written. I love how it is closer to the medieval world of our past than the fantastical one we normally read of; in a way, it makes it more realistic. The world-building of Narnia (with chapels, monks and old Christian and Pagan holidays) and Charn (with its language, other deities and traditions) is vivid enough to imagine even without detailed descriptions.

This back and forth with Edmund and Jadis reveals an interesting relationship between the old and new rulers of Narnia. She haunts him in such a way that makes their conversation so fascinating. I actually *like* Jadis here, because she is written not as the tyrant we normally see in this fandom, but there's more depth and intelligence and humanity to her.

Looking forward to reading the other chapters you have up when I have more time.
rthstewart chapter 10 . 3/28/2010
So this one is on Jadis, but Edmund still owes her? The details of the battle, the heraldry, the shield wall, the schematics of this scene, the right and left flanks, and yet Edmund's own feeling and thoughts through this are really overwhelming. There's this extraordinary blending of cultures - it does not fit any one particular place and time, though it certainly is pervasively medieval.

Most of all, does Jadis mean something more than "he's one of ours"? Does she mean of one of HERS? Or is she now including Edmund?

Thanks so much. I really hope when this is done that you go back and give us a bit more about your world.
rthstewart chapter 9 . 3/28/2010
The worms in the mud reminded me very much of the Nazgul, by the way, in PJ's version of FOTR. In any event, the cats coming out of the water were terrifying. Is this some mythical creature of the underworld? They belonged to Tash, yes, but what else? A sort of horrible inversion of Aslan, if you think on it, given the importance of the Cat in the Narnian theology. Come to think, how to the Priests, synod, monks, chapels and the theology hinted at here relate to Aslan?

I had not, until this chapter, fully appreciated that Jadis is not quite dead yet, or at least not fully passed on to Tash, unlike Iaida. (no scissors in the after life!) So, she resists going the way of her sisters and other dead into his realm? What does Tash wish with Edmund? Not destroyed, just vulnerable?
rthstewart chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Big jump in the action here. I wish this weren't moving quite so quickly because there are bits of your world peeking through all over the place. I especially enjoyed the bleeding over of Calormene, Narnian, and Archenland culture in your rendering of the Lone Islands.

I admit I don't like the fact that Edmund keeps losing to Jadis - I don't want him to lose to her and to Tash on whose behalf she is (sort of) working. It worries me that he will resort to her methods to prevail, because it doesn't seem, whether in the game or in real life, that anything he does works especially well, or at least not as well as her methods.

The unexamined life is worth killing for. Goodness, that chills me.
Eavis chapter 10 . 3/28/2010
Ah! This is painful! You are actually making me like Jadis. Unthinkable. What shall I do?

Great job, though.

Go with God,

Eavis
ilysia chapter 10 . 3/27/2010
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I get an entirely Northern feel from this Narnia. The use of housecarl, the mention of red wine and mead, the shield wall: Beowulf is being evoked in my mind at this point.

And Edmund. Well, Tash wants Jadis to wear him down. Jadis wants Edmund to amuse her. Edmund wants Jadis to leave him alone. What fun. Jadis haunting Edmund, goading Edmund is something familiar, something easy to categorize. Jadis helping Edmund defeat his enemies, on the other hand, is new and different and entirely more worrisome.
ilysia chapter 9 . 3/27/2010
There's really so much going on here- this story just touches the surface of your alternate Narnia, just barely breaks what feels like it should be terribly complex and almost frighteningly, familiarly unfamiliar. The opening of this chapter- the excerpt from King Edmund's Saga- is just one example.

And then there's the storm, of course, and the fact that Edmund's caught in it and might die of it (unusual to see in Narnia, yes?), and the cats and Tash. Oh, Tash. And Jadis, of course. The dichotomy that's emerging between Jadis and Tash is interesting, to say the least. We've not really seen much of Tash, yet what there has been has been horrifying, more because of what is not said than what is. The look that Iaida gives Jadis, the way she flinches when Tash's claw touches her...
Eavis chapter 8 . 3/24/2010
Woah. This is getting really intense. But darling, you've actually made me like Jadis a little. I don't quite like that, but then, it is proof of your excellent writing ability...
ilysia chapter 8 . 3/23/2010
Here, again, what you're doing with this world, and with Jadis' character in particular, is absolutely fascinating. The glimpses of Charn are intriguing, yes, but Jadis' shade in Narnia is even more so...
rthstewart chapter 7 . 3/21/2010
I should NOT be feeling sorry for Jadis. There's a Faustian quality to this, with Tash coming in periodically to manipulate and goad her. Her taunting of Edmund is very interesting as is her sister's observation that Edmund is clever. Also, I thought it interesting that Edmund was thinking of the future and played very well, only to be slaughtered by his hand picked heir who in turn will be slaughtered. It seems Jadis was not especially adept at long range planning. Kelpies! OMG you have Kelpies! This is such a strange, original, political, dense story.
133 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 Next »