Reviews for Deep Waters, Natsuki
Syein chapter 10 . 12/12/2014
For a moment there I forgot this is in Victorian era so all the modern technology had to be set aside leh. Especially when Shizuru deducted with no evident, I doubt it can work the same for the modern time.
You did a great job when adding mai-hime/ mai-otome characters in it, and their personalities remained the same like their anime counterparts. Especially the way you described Nagi is the exact same way I see him as. The so called 'spoil little brat who seemed to know everything, and occasional you wanted to see him panic at least a little bit'
Golden Mean Fallacy chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Ah, been a while since I reviewed a story in this series. Let's hop to it.

Honestly? There isn't too much I have to say about this one. I think it's partially because I covered most of my general feelings about the characters, your writing, etc. in the last couple stories; Repton noted that "bridge" is relatively anachronistic, so I don't really feel the need to comment on that.

I think it's also that this one just feels... bland. There's nothing really to complain about- the mystery is serviceable, the characterization is solid to great as always, and the pacing isn't too bad either. But the story just feels like it's missing that real hook to get me involved; primarily because, to me, there was little doubt that the main mystery of the story was (in essence) solved, and that really it was more about the finer details. I think it was also that Nagi was exactly the kind of character you expect to turn out to be a villain, so it wasn't particularly surprising when he is the culprit. You do do a solid job of adding on a bit of complexity at the end with the twist, but I would argue that maybe a bit too much time is spent on the mystery early on, given what exactly the scenario is.

It's certainly not all bad- the confrontation between Nagi and Shizuru was quite well written, and the characterization of Haruka and Yukino in particular was excellent. You do a solid job of blending together Shizuru and Natsuki's plots, and there are certainly some solid moments in the story (Natsuki's investigative attempts in particular are quite entertaining), but I just could never get myself sucked in like I could with the other stories in this series.

So eh, probably the weakest story (in my opinion), but still quite an interesting read.
annoyingLONER chapter 7 . 1/5/2013
why do i keep thinking it's Nina? hmmm
according2Angie chapter 10 . 10/25/2012
Another great story in the ShizNat-Holmes-style arc! I loved how you inserted the Mai-Hime characters in it while maintaining their personalities. Can't wait to read more and get to the back story of both leading characters' past (and the development of their relationship, of course!)
Michael S. Repton chapter 10 . 7/27/2012
Hmm. Nine out of ten for the conclusion, I think. The interrogation of Nagi was an excellent scene, and like you, I really liked Haruka's final line. Linking everything together with Natsuki's quest to find out her own past *and* with the continuation of her character development was brilliant. My only concern is that realistically, I'm not at all sure Nagi could have been convicted when - as indeed the story points out - there's no actual evidence. Still, we all know that juries are unpredictable and can be manipulated, so I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt, especially as I *want* him to be convicted after he committed such a vile crime. And, I admit, I would like to find out what happens to Trepoff - but Watson was often careless about wrapping up the details, so I'm used to it :)

I will follow your advice and read the side stories next.
Michael S. Repton chapter 7 . 7/27/2012
"Bridge" is an anachronism; even Auction Bridge, the earlier form, wasn't invented until 1904. That aside, I love the complexity of the mystery in this story and I can't wait for the solution. And I felt my heart melt when Natsuki turned out to be the key to Shizuru solving the case :)
Michael S. Repton chapter 6 . 7/27/2012
Natsuki trying her own hand at investigation is so sweet, you just want to reach into the pages and give her a hug :D
Michael S. Repton chapter 2 . 7/27/2012
...And this just gets even better. Precisely because this is the most serious story so far, it's just the right place to introduce Haruka, whom you write so well that every remark by or about her had me laughing. Incidentally, there may be a slip in this chapter, or it may be deliberate. "Father Greer, the local vicar" - but "Father" would not be the title of a vicar, rather that of a Catholic priest, and they ought to be celibate. However, this may well be one of Haruka's malapropisms, or else an in-joke (considering that the original Mai-HiME has a decidedly non-celibate nun...)
Michael S. Repton chapter 1 . 7/27/2012
Ooh :) Now the two worlds really are coming together and we're going to investigate the Searrses. This one really is going to be intriguing. And I love Natsuki's introspection at the start; you have a really good grasp on her character, and the way her backstory is based on the Mai-HiME original but still unique to this story definitely makes me interested to see how it's going to be resolved. And the smoking scene was just hilarious. Your version of Shizuru is a wonderful character - I like her much more than the original, but at the same time, it still feels that you've just shown more of the character rather than changing her. So, already, this is an even better story than the two before it - and you know how much I liked those - and we're only on the first chapter! I want more :) :)
Wolf-of-Five-Elements chapter 10 . 2/23/2012
Yay, another mystery solved! I actually got most of that before it was revealed for once. Great job as always. Now, onto the next one!
oOYuuOo chapter 1 . 2/22/2012
I really enjoyed reading it!

Thank you so much for this!
AGH chapter 10 . 1/26/2011
I am very lucky to have kind professors who don't assign much homework the first week of the semester, as I have had quite the time of it trying to tear my eyes from my computer screen, by which I mean your writing, in order to complete it!

I have read a few holmes stories in the past, and I assure you I will be reading more shortly...once I finish reading all of your Mai Hime fanfics, of course...

I literally have them all open in different tabs at the moment...

point being, I love it. fabulous work.
StarvingLunatic chapter 10 . 12/2/2010
"You stupid cow! Do you realize who I am?"

"Sure. You're an arrogant, vicious, manipulative arsehole."

"It's 'assassin,' Lady Haruka."

"Actually, I meant that one, Yukino."

Simply the best sequence of dialogue ever. I laughed for quite a while off of it. I was glad that in the end, Natsuki decided to act on her own with Nagi's help. Way to go, Natsuki!
StarvingLunatic chapter 5 . 12/1/2010
I enjoyed this chapter quite a bit and it had to do with the fact that we got to see things through Yukino's eyes. I especially liked seeing her thoughts on Shizuru. It's good to get another prospective on Super Shizuru. _ I also like how you keep everybody in character, even though these stories are rather far from the anime you get the characters from. You always do such a good job with them. _
StarvingLunatic chapter 2 . 12/1/2010
Yay! Haruka and Yukino! I enjoy wherever they pop up in a trail... I mean, tale! Haruka can be quite infectious. _ I'm very happy to see Haruka taken seriously too instead of played for laughs. She certainly is a spitfire. I'm a bit surprised at her calling Shizuru for help, but I do like how she figured out why she needed the help. Haruka is too cool. Moving on, just to see more of her. _