Reviews for The Paladin Protocol
takalotti chapter 13 . 5/26/2010
She'd needed something to make her feel better, and the uncritical adoration had been nice. – Uncritical adoration is nice. But I've always found that there's something more desirable about someone who calls you out on your crap, and who you can call out on his crap.

Cold hard fact was, Leonard was the only one who came remotely close to being a normal guy, and she'd been tired of jerks, wanted to be with someone nice, and he'd asked her. Persistence and familiarity and a guilty part of her that liked the idea of being with some guy that wouldn't cheat on her because he was damn lucky to have her. – All fair reasons to start dating someone. But also all fair reasons to break up with someone.

"I'm sorry I forgot about the party, but I had stuff to finish up..." (The last movement of the Haydn piece had been a swine, and they'd stopped for burgers on the way home.) – See, why is he hiding the quartet? Is it just because working is an acceptable excuse for standing Penny up compared with hanging out with other people for fun? Does he feel guilty about something? Or does is he just embarrassed by it (worried Penny will judge its geek factor)? Or does he really enjoy it and doesn't want others (Sheldon) to outshine him?

Leonard's nervous smile slips a notch. – Excellent description.

Sheldon and Raj are still staring at each other. – I enjoyed their silent understanding.
takalotti chapter 12 . 5/26/2010
But. Is Leonard still his friend? – Excellent question.

He is still unable to fathom or reconcile that, a depth of treachery that hurts too much to confront head on – it was not just a personal betrayal, it was science itself, some kind of heresy in the act. – Amen, brother.

So is he still bound by the dictates of friendship? If the state is co-operative and mutual, does that not mean that the withdrawal of the other party negates the bond? That he is no longer required to support an endeavour that he sees as futile, to maintain a one-sided loyalty, to proffer advice which is consistently ignored? – I love the way Sheldon is analyzing the "friendship," needing to justify giving himself permission to discontinue holding up his end of the partnership.
takalotti chapter 11 . 5/26/2010
"I never joke about the futility of Leonard's work." - Hee!

He has been through the Room-mate Agreement, and his Friendship Algorithm, correlating data, and there are points that trouble him greatly. – I like how this ties in with the next chapter.

Sheldon, made aware that she will attempt to dress him if he doesn't do it himself, shoos her out momentarily and they continue grumbling at each other through the door. - I really loved this sentence. It's not overly descriptive, but I can see the whole sequence of events clearly.

He asks himself why he is doing this, and has no rational explanation other than...because Penny has asked him to. - Awww

"If you just hold a bottle, nobody will try and give you another one. It's...like a stage prop." - Oh, I really like this advice. Might use it myself. And it's very Penny, too, with the acting reference.

"Try and look a bit more enthusiastic...no, don't smile." - Ha!

Oh. Sheldon Cooper is kinda hot. When the hell did that happen? - Day one, honey. Day one.

She likes that Sheldon never feels the need to apologise about what he likes, that he does his own thing. - Subconsciously comparing Sheldon to someone else, are we? I like it.

Penny has a sudden mad picture of Sheldon and her father geeking out over baseball stats. - Already thinking about introducing him to your parents, are we? I like it.

Queen Penelope has another troll to be vanquished. - SQUEE!

"But the whole point of my attending this function with you was to act in such a capacity." - No, Sheldon. That was not the whole point. That was just the excuse.

"I would be negligent in my duty if I allowed harm to come to you. Or me." He adds. "The loss to science..." - Oh how I love that boy's healthy ego.

"Penny, you turned my closet upside down in order to satisfy your requirements of what I should look like. There were too many people and far too much noise. I had to stop a man bothering you. And then I had to drive us home. I am not sure how any of that could be considered having 'a good time'." - Hmm. Let the record show, Sheldon never actually said 'No.'

"The quartet rehearsal ran on..." - This intrigues me, and I'm sure I'll mention it again. Up to this point, we had all been working under the same assumption: That Leonard stood Penny up due to being sucked in at work. But it turns out it was an extracurricular social activity, that he didn't mention to Penny either before the party or after (so far), that included an ex. I'm not sure what this means. I was expecting this to come into play later and cause certain events, but it didn't. Now I'm wondering if Leonard will find a niche in the quartet – a place where he can be comfortable with himself and his surroundings and thus find himself. Hmmm.

Pain in his palms, and startled, he unclenches his fists. - Uh oh. He's making Sheldor angry. He won't like Sheldor when he's angry.

She has a most unwelcome moment of clarity. He's come over because he thought she might be 'in the mood' after a party – which translates to 'had a few drinks'. She feels a bit sick, and really glad she hadn't hit the tequila. - It's amazing the things you pick up on when sober, isn't it?

(Cannot deny a certain relief at hearing him return so swiftly.) - I'm picturing Sheldon lying in bed with, not exactly a smile, but a very peaceful look on his face.

"Oh, good lord." he whispers softly.

- I floved Sheldon's slow, gradual, analytical path to awareness. So awesome.
mistress.shiny chapter 30 . 5/25/2010
I read this story from the beginning today and it is just fantastic!

The original characters are well written, and distinguishable. The story itself deals with some of the emotions we should have seen dealt with in the series.

Series characters are embraced and developed "in character" and at the same time allowed to grow and mature.

Great work! Can not wait for the next chapter.
JustAPoisonApple chapter 30 . 5/25/2010
Okay... bit slow. Not much happened. So...yeah. Like it though- always happy to read another chapter.
ollixanna chapter 30 . 5/25/2010
Long time no review.

I loved this. I really did. I especially loved the glimpse at the time in Germany. I also loved the end, Sheldon Cooper heading off to dine with other doctors who are actually fangirl'ing over him? Yeah, more of that please.

I kind of really miss the days of an update every three days or so. But it makes my day when I see a new chapter alert pop up in my inbox.

Thanks again for sharing this story.
Talitha Koum chapter 30 . 5/25/2010
(Stupid LJ won't let me login so I'll just post here.)

"He hopes that he will be able to be an exemplary boyfriend."

*sighs contentedly* I've been on a reading tear for a while, now, and when that familiar urge strikes, I can't seem to satisfy that wonderful/agravating sleeping beast. Every book I read never ends the way I want it to. Too much is left unsaid...or too much IS said and I get bored or angry with the characters, hating living in their minds, in their world, which is ten-times more complicated than my own. (Dunno if that's embarrassing or not.) But then I read a chapter of this and I'm perfectly happy. Don't know how you do it, but please don't stop.

I need to draw. I don't know what, though. I can't decide. So many delicious scenes to choose from. Any suggestions?
Dimac99 chapter 30 . 5/25/2010
Aww, poor Sheldon. He's going to have to get used to a different kind of loneliness while he's parted from Penny, but I love that she snuck Higgs into his bag! I'm both amused and on behalf of LU slightly annoyed that Poligny thinks Sheldon couldn't cope with the London Underground - I managed it AND Tokyo Underground last summer! ridiculously proud But I only have panic attacks in water filled caves and I can't count to twenty unless I take off my shoes so Sheldon and I have very little in common. I'm glad he's making friends already, it's good that he sees his work is appreciated by bigger minds than the ones he left behind in Pasadena.

McDonald and Ashby - David Tennant/Tenth Doctor and Laurence Fox/DS Dishy-I-mean-Hathaway? (ahem) If I'm wrong about the 2nd then you should have Sheldon run into Lewis and Hathaway, just for the sake of Oxfordshire tourism lol. I'm weeing myself laughing just *thinking* about a BBT/Lewis crossover, but I'm very strange, I admit. Also, I love Lewis. But I think I'm right. Do I get a prize? :-D Thanks for such a quick update.
Xi Theta chapter 30 . 5/25/2010
I only found this the other day, and couldn't stop reading! I think you've single-handedly created a SheldonPenny shipper right here.

it took a while to get into your idiosyncratic way of writing thoughts vs. rationalisations, but the overall effect made a lot of sense.

i almost started feeling sorry for Leonard, but its true he is a Bit of a jerk. Please write more, it will be interesting to see how he gets on in the totally alien environemnt that is Oxford.
sheerpoetry chapter 29 . 5/23/2010
I'm past due here, but I totally squeed when I got the update e-mail. :D

I love this chapter! Sheldon makes progress in a very Sheldon-y way. And I really love Penny here; she's been out and had a few drinks, but she's not smashed and still herself. (And her friends like Sheldon! Score one for the Geeks.)

Loved the Nobel Prize nod and the check-in with Stuart. He's really easy to overlook, especially in relation to Penny. And the closing was perfect!: But Sheldon Cooper is a whole different story. Possibly one written in a language not of this Earth.

redgrunt84 chapter 29 . 5/23/2010
After two weeks without a day off, finding a new chapter of this story was e actly what I needed to take my mind off my troubles. Oddly enough I find myself hoping that Leonard can find a way to resolve his personal frustrations. Both here and in the show. I have long maintained that he is the most maladjusted of the four.
Fayth3 chapter 29 . 5/22/2010
I have just got back from the worst holiday. One week in Wales with three giggly teenage girls who stay up til 4am, hyperactive twins with mucus issues and a girl who was glued to my side. This is EXACTLY what I needed right now.

Awesome, I love that they aren't rushing things and that Leonard is beginning to see that it's him who is losing out on not having Sheldon around.

I know that post relationship is difficult to write but you are doing a stellar job.

Congrats.
foiewndslk chapter 29 . 5/21/2010
I have to tell you, I love this story. It's so many things at once that I feel I can't begin to describe them. But I will anyway.

I love this version of Penny; she feels the same as the one on the show, only more so with a bit more complexity involved. I love Sheldon (He's always been my favorite. I believe if Jim Parsons was not involved with this show, I wouldn't like it as much) and his sweet, fumbling, utterly geeky way of courting Penny. Most of all, I love the way you are not letting the boys, especially Leonard, get away with the crap they've pulled on Sheldon. I feel that is where the show let things slip through the cracks. You've satisfied that part of me that craved vindication on his behalf.

Thanks for the story. It's lovely.
galeaya chapter 29 . 5/21/2010
Dude, you so deserve a good review!

I love how you've explored Sheldon's character, how you've tried to explain that he just really is a big kid in a grown-up's body. The way you've described his subtle transformations was just amazing. It's like watching him go from bratty kid to awkward teenager in a matter of chapters. Kudos for using that angle. :D

Also, I loved the way you described his relationship with Penny. I mean, you just made me realize something about the series... I probably noticed it but didn't really process it... that the series pretty much builds up more of the Sheldon-Penny interactions rather than the Leonard-Penny ones. You made me fall in love with this series all over again.

That said, keep writing this, okay? XD I know a lot of fans will be keeping watch over this. D

God, have I told you how thankful I am I decided to read this story? XD
Lady Almaren chapter 29 . 5/21/2010
Another great chapter. I really wish that we could see something like this on the show. It doesn't even have to be Sheldon/Penny. But I would like to see something that examines Leonard and Sheldon's friendship a little more. As a newcomer to the series I find it hard sometimes to believe that Sheldon and Leonard are friends. Especially with the way that Leonard treats him sometimes.
1,610 | « Prev Page 1 .. 75 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 95 .. Last Next »