Reviews for The Sandcastle
lapaxlove chapter 1 . 10/16/2013
I like how you added a little aftermath trauma for Rufus. And I would totally like to see Rufus building a sand castle like a kid! Hehe.
Cookiecat chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
Heya

Before I finally start the long-promised review of "Professional Conduct", I thought I could write a few lines about this one.

As you might have noticed, I deeply love imagery and symbolism in stories. The fact that I look for a metaphorical, deeper dimension in everything I read is not just due to the fact that I studied literature (so analyzing every piece of writing became an occupational hazard ;), but also due to that love of mine that has been there as long as I can remember.

There is something called 'cultural metaphors', a sort of imagery that is and has been used throughout all cultures and ages, and although we often think those notions are very cliche nowadays, we can't help the emotions they usually create in us.

Fire is one of those, for example. The sea is another, often used as an extended metaphor of 'building something out of sand' or 'writing something into the sand', which is then eliminated by the sea.

It reminds me of a famous Sonnet by Spenser (a contemporary of Shakespeare) I once had to write a paper about. It starts with the lines

"One day I wrote her name upon the strand,

But came the waves and wash├Ęd it away,

Again I wrote it with a second hand,

But came the tide and made my pains his prey."

All in all, just like your story, it envokes the notions of eternity, fateful forces, vain struggle and transitoriness.

Powerful images, that tie in extremely well with the plot of FF VII. I love the symbolism you provide here, it's very deep and somehow dark, yet with a glimmer of hope at the end.

(sorry for writing a 'literature geek' review here, but that's what your story inspired me to do...)

Very well done!
Mysteriouslyabsent chapter 1 . 6/2/2010
Oh! I didn't realise I hadn't reviewed this on here yet! :O Oh well, you know I gushed all over it on the GA, but still...

THIS FIC IS AWESOME THIS FIC IS AWESOME THIS FIC IS SO SO AWESOME I LOVE YOUR RUFUS I LOVE HIS SANDCASTLE I LOVE YOU LET US DANCE!

There y'are! One highly useful review to cherish forever! :D
merani chapter 1 . 1/31/2010
loved this. deep... but entirely cute. :)
Chibipinkbunny chapter 1 . 12/31/2009
Hi GS! You know it's interesting because I just read an amazing story the other day with Reeve and Rufus and the building metaphor was weaved throughout the whole thing. I really like the building metaphor with Rufus. I liked this! It was done very nicely. The golden sun peeing out through dark clouds symbolizing a better day to come. The child that came back with the lemonade symbolizing the fact that humanity is still good at heart and there's something worth saving in the word, innocence. Then the sand castles that looked like Midgar's upper plate, and even upon seeing the Diamond Weapon he said we'll build another one. There's still hope for Midgar. You're turning into a good writer GS! Thanks for this, it was short but sweet :)
A Matter of Unimportance chapter 1 . 12/30/2009
This was an awesome little story. First of all, it's great on the literal level, but I think the message is so much deeper on another level. The whole thought that there's a tomorrow to make things better, and for Shinra to go through a kind of rebirth is awesome. I really loved this story, wonderful job!