Reviews for Bleed or Cry
lapaxlove chapter 4 . 7/30/2013
I really like the story, especially the Tseng & rufus interaction was great,I wonder will you still continue this?
CameoAmalthea chapter 4 . 3/7/2011
I was a bit confused with the chapter. Just the behavior of the woman. So this is 10 years ago, so Rufus is 15/16, but she's treating him like a child. This works to an extent, it shows how out of touch she is, she's being patronizing and not actually seeing him. However, at some points it seems to stretch believability.

This line "Come and sit on my lap, my pretty little popinjay!" I just couldn't see this being said to a teenager. Given how young everyone seems to be in the game, I'd think if anything that 15/16 would be seen as practically an adult.

Then at the same time you have her trying to set up Rufus with her niece. So she is seeing as a teen to some extent, which contrasts with her actions a lot.

And let me see if I have the straight. She is marrying Rufus's father, and will become his stepmother, then wouldn't that make her niece his cousin? Not by blood, but by law and ties, so wouldn't this be a bit...off. Maybe have someone comment on that. Show us more of what they're thinking.

Nice introduction of Scarlet though, really liked that part.
CameoAmalthea chapter 3 . 3/7/2011
I liked the Tseng and Rufus interactions much better in this chapter. I also loved the description of the woman in the wedding dress as a blancmange. That was perfect.

I wonder what age Tseng is here? I know no age are given, but as director of the Turks I always assumed Tseng was much older than the rest of them, at least ten years older than Rufus. I still want more interiority.

We're in the 3rd person, but you give us some of Tseng's point of view, so I want more. What does he make of the teenager he's charged with protecting. As a Turk, how does he feel about spending his time this way. (He's their leader in the original game, so he must get pretty far). What does he think of Rufus.

I also still didn't quite believe teenage Rufus. His emotions just don't seem real, and teens tend to be volatile, angry. His mother committed suicide, his father is remarrying a woman who treats him like a child or a pet she can play mom with, I want to see his frustation. As it is I don't quite feel this. Again, very much personal opinion. But I'm just not getting as much of a feel for Rufus as I have for Tifa.
CameoAmalthea chapter 2 . 3/7/2011
I liked the contrast between Tifa and Aeris. Aeris more the delicate damsel type while Tifa is more self sufficient and tries to be less of a girl (not wanting to humor Aeris when she talks about how attractive Rufus is).I also loved the contrast between what Tifa tries to be, mature, serious, not a given over to girlish thing, and what she is, completely infatuated with Cloud to the point of some pettiness.

The intercuts with 12 year old Rufus didn't work as well for me. It just didn't feel real. It didn't feel like something a 12 would say or how he would say it. I think writing children is difficult because by the time we write childhood is something mostly forgotten and many people tend to write children as either caricatures of children, too young, or too old, or too young in some ways and too old in others. It's really hard to get right. Then as every person is different so to is every child, so what's believable for kid to some wouldn't be to others, so feel free to take all criticism with a grain of salt. However, 12 year old Rufus just didn't feel real and neither did Tseng's responses. Maybe it was the lack of interiority, no seeing what they're thinking, but it just didn't feel real or particularly revealing. And I know Rufus would have been well educated, so his manner of speaking would probably be more formal than most children, but the 12 year old bits just didn't work for me.
CameoAmalthea chapter 1 . 3/3/2011
Wow this is really good. I've never really read this pairing before and I've never really been that interested in Tifa as a character, so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I found was that you made me love Tifa. I love the way you write her, she's funny and sarcastic but vulnerable and real. I love it.

I want someway to tell you how much I love it, and what that means, because really I find it hard to like female protagonists in a lot of fics, I'm not sure why. I'm a girl and a feminist, so I don't think it's some underlying misogyny on my part, but a lot of female characters in fics, especially pairing fics, annoy me because I can't relate to them. So it's something really new to actually like a female character, because she feels so real and totally relatable.

I love the way you make her voice come through, so young and sometimes cute but also so tough and strong. This is just great.

As for Rufus, a character I really do like, I love the way you write him. That moment in the board meeting was so vicious, but so enjoyable.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling review, but great job!
Ikuni Hattori chapter 4 . 1/22/2011
Ah! Continue! Preferably soon, please!
Christie Cookie chapter 4 . 1/3/2011
Haha, I love how you make Rufus so cool and calculated. He uses everything around him for his advantage. Even blushing! This is a good chapter, can't wait for the RufusxTifa chemistry!
Christie Cookie chapter 3 . 8/30/2010
I was laughing through all three chapter of this! You really captured Rufus' and Tseng's relationship well in this, and I just love the witty humour. "No Chewits for you." -I cracked up SOOO hard at this, I had to stuff my mouth with a cushion because its almost 1am in my time zone!

Tifa, bless her lockheart, is struggling so much. But I think you're developing the characters well in AVALANCHE. Aeris is her usual excited self, so cute and funny. And Barret is hilarious along with Red XIII.

You're a very good writer. I'm really excited about this. Please update soon! :)
Licoriceallsorts chapter 3 . 6/1/2010
Well, I may be one of your few reviewers (for the moment) but at least I am a very discriminating one! I'm not going to go into a lot of concrit about commas and syntax because there really isn't much wrong, and anyway, you're growing by leaps and bounds as a writer. I absolutely love the dialogue here. You have a great ear for the natural rhythms of human speech and for distinguishing characters by their speech patterns. I suppose I find Rufus a little more convincing than Tseng, but Tseng can be written in many ways, and although this isn't my way (or Karanguni's!), it works.

So..

You'd better be careful, Zara - there's some quite deep character study underneath all that jesting.

BTW I love any fic that spoofs the Rufus/Tseng yaoi.
Dio chapter 3 . 6/1/2010
Wonderful! Can;t wait to read more RxT.
Licoriceallsorts chapter 2 . 3/2/2010
Hi Zara, it's Licorice. Whenever I want to read something I know I'll enjoy, I come to your stuff. I just adore your Rufus. He has so many layers. I also always love your Tifa, and I particularly delight in the caustic private thoughts you ascribe to her. I can't really tell where this is going (do you know?) but I'm in for the duration.

You have a real way with words and an ear for a turn of phrase, you have great pacing (although I felt the business with Yuffie went on a bit too long, but then, I don't like her character), you know what to leave out and what to put in, and I really, really like the conversations between Tseng and Rufus and the way these are developing their characters.

Do you ever felt you want to write something really serious but get pulled away from it by your love for fun and your sense of the ridiculous?

I'd favourite you, but it seems to be the kiss of death: every author I've ever favourited has never posted another word!