Reviews for Acts of Kindness
Shaithan chapter 1 . 8/4/2011
A well-rounded story. I'm glad I found it.

I liked it very much and think it deserves every praise it gets.

Sure it's dark and depressing, but this only increases the general feeling and helps highlight Asuka's character. Very well done.
Tylec Asroc chapter 1 . 3/5/2010
"Acts of Kindness", in addition to exploring Asuka's thoughts on children, relationships and love, also makes an interesting exploration into human communication - "how effectively can we communicate when social taboos declare that there are elements of life we cannot communicate?" Asuka threatens a traumatized classmate, she snaps at her principal and suggests some very inappropriate baby names, all thanks to communication breakdowns. It’s partially due to her misinterpretations (TomoexKaji is not FTW in her book!) but the ambiguity everyone else uses to speak about the “Yokohama Situation” only escalates the confusion. She does, however, manage some small victories by using ambiguity to her benefit: to keep Shinji and Misato from learning about how she bullied and threatened Tomoe at school, Asuka keeps her apology as vague and coded as possible.

Meanwhile, there’s a communication meta-game between the author and reader: you never directly tell us the identity of the guilty party, but provide access to just enough conversations and details that we can slowly cross canon characters off the suspect list and come to a conclusion. Shinji and Asuka’s discussion in the final scene where you reveal the culprit was probably unnecessary. Up to that point you implied enough so that specific name-calling was redundant. Like you mention in your author’s notes, sometimes it’s best to “leave it to your own sense of judgement to fill in the blanks”.

I’m at odds about the inclusion of Rei in this story. While her message to Asuka (“When you do not speak all the time ... you are better equipped to hear more”) is relevant to the theme of communication, the memoir quote of Kyoko Souryu is something of a distraction. Her message about the need for human companionship does summarize the entirety of Evangelion, but it doesn’t connect very well to the immediate conflict of an unintended pregnancy.

Praise is certainly deserved for Gendou Ikari's single scene, which implies that he "punished" the man behind the "Yokohama Situation" on personal grounds. In your stories, the commander is willing to let all sorts of impropriety slide - Shinji can adopt a child, Rei can live with a womanizing playboy, and mentally unstable teenagers can sleep with each other all they want; all he's concerned about is "can s/he still pilot?” It's fascinating to consider that the man who would sacrifice the world for his ambitions could still have a threshold for what he considers morally acceptable.

At the same time, when your deleted scene reveals that Gendou took such a strong stance not because of his own moral indignation, but because he wanted to appease his dead wife's wishes, the character building takes a step back. All of Gendou's canonical actions fall under the banner of "Yui would have wanted it". Suddenly, you're not presenting a new facet of the Commander's personality; you're just reinforcing what's already established in the main series.

In fact, for me, your author’s notes were the big stumbling block to an otherwise well-made story. To create a narrative that thrives on ambiguity, and to declare at the end that “Yes, the rapist was X all along, and here’s what happened to him” is to sabotage your intentions. I applaud you for removing the extra bits of information about Gendou and the rape plot from the main story, but when this information is still accessible to your readers as a 'deleted scene', it still neutralizes the character and story development.
TimothyLim chapter 1 . 11/30/2008
While I think my words shall fail me in my attempt to praise your writing, I believe you have done exceptionally well in expressing Tomoe's pregnancy and Asuka's feeling toward simple state affection to maturity. While I'm a bit surprised a bit of what small role Shinji had in the story (as far as his perspective was and his rather not so deep thoughts).

I must agree with you, rape is a heavy subject. And truly if what darkness humanity brings to reality is that four letter word. I can only imagine the indescribable anguish that a parent of any child would feel if such a thing happened to their love ones.
Peanuts Factory chapter 1 . 6/23/2006
Deep, engrossing fic.

Wanted to know more about Tomoe though...

Ah, well.
ComboBreaker chapter 1 . 5/30/2006
That was really good! I thought the story was pretty original to tell you the truth. Once again, Random1377 writes a fantastic story.
ShinobiCyrus chapter 1 . 5/20/2006
Wow, that sure was a long read. Excellent story! The suspense was masterful, and you kept the everyone perfectly in character. It's not often a story emotionally drains me, you're a hell of a writer.
Sun S. Li chapter 1 . 4/26/2006
A knowledgeable story taking a view into what we live in today. Sayonara
blackman chapter 1 . 12/28/2005
beautiful is not a word i throw around, so yeah this was in an odd kind of way
Eson chapter 1 . 12/25/2005
Killing isn't good enough for a rapist.

Anyways good story. You do explore a lot of angles in your fanfictions.
sephiroth603 chapter 1 . 4/27/2005
i was just looking for some good fics until i came upon this one. this has a very good view of what would happen if a person was rapped, pecially if the rapist is the father and the vic is his very own flesh and blood. my first impression was the rapist was kaji. and until i read the authors notes at the bottom i still thought tht it was kaji. this fic is dark, very dark. And you dont have a dim view of rape. you perfectly described the emotions and physical aspects of someone who was/has been raped.

anyways great fic, my heart has been pounding from start to finish. i would type more but nothing's comming into mind...this last 2 sentences are running on what words can come into my mind. ok i think im speaking gibberish now, bottom line im speach-less. good work
leeyiankun chapter 1 . 2/11/2005
Again, another ACC creation that is shaped by the customization of the Original cast.

Some points are a bit forced. But this is one-shot, so that's ok.

Good read.
Spike of Doom chapter 1 . 11/20/2004
Well i have no personal (or poeple in my entourage) experience about any of these and i think you displayed them well and it had a mystery feel to it that made it good until the end... i dont think you dragged it on at all .. and to me a happy ending is a happy ending this story was good! :)
Sadistic Shadow chapter 1 . 5/6/2004
Another wonder. Your works are fast growing on me, Mister Random. I loved the way you dealt with this touchy subject. Many kudos.
Darkness4verfades chapter 1 . 1/28/2004
Truly a masterpiece...
Rahedion Woif chapter 1 . 9/10/2003
Nice story, a bit longer than I expected, as always.. you kept me on the edge of my seat.. in fact, I want more...

NOW.