Reviews for Moving On
Fizzing Wizard chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
I like. House's struggle to accept what he wanted was very realistic.
iyimgrace chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
i could totally hear the syncopation in Nolan's voice. I like the session and the concept that the moving on would be a difficult thing for House to wrap his head around.
08joanna chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
I love that you chose to write about this subject, and was very interested in your take on it, since I also tackled the same issue in my story "The Odd Couple." My decision was to have House move to the new apartment with Wilson, but refuse to move the piano or give up his own apartment. I felt that was House's way of showing that he hopes he can live alone sometime soon, but your take on it is just as believable and just as hopeful, in a way. As always, your dialogue for them is dead-on and very in character. Thanks.
Arisprite chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
This was really good. I think House would have needed a moment to process the move, and this piece showed that. I just realized that this will probably be the end of House's apartment. I'm gonna miss that place :)

Ari
Alex chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
Beautyfully written! That said: I kept hoping that House would come to the realization that he wouldn't move in with Wilson! Or at least not under this terms and circumstances.

Because where in all that was House's input or decision? Wilson chose the place alone (to spite Cuddy) and presumably paid for it alone. In the end House just went along: which feels glaringly like lack of alternatives, abandonment-issues and apathy with an unhealthy dose of co-dependence thrown in.

House isn't some kind of permanent mental invalid who needs to spend the rest of his life under watch on somone elses turf post-Mayfield. In this case the "someone" not helpfully being his lecture-happy, always ready-to-judge best friend. Seriously, making a grown man write an apology note? Never mind, that it was for something that House didn't do and Wilson had no intention whatsoever to give House a chance to state his version...

Actually I have issues with a competent psychiatrist like Nolan demanding that House live *for months* with someone else after being cleared as depression-free and functioning. Especially without checking out just *who* that other party is (and their issues and possible hand in House's break down in the first place. He'd have a field day with supposed healthier Wilson's impressive number of issues and powers of denial!). Given that Nolan encouraged House to trust his own instincts and ethics and not just address but forgive himself for his mistakes, Wilson - who's always willing and ready to assume the worst of House - is practically the exact opposite of a supportive, helpful roomie. Because sadly, the last few seasons Wilson's dialogue with or about House consisted mostly of pointing out House's real and perceived inadequacies.

I like the House-Wilson-friendship, but this moving together seems to me rather unhealthy. It's not cute or indicating true appreciation or a more balanced, healthier friendship again imo. To me it screams sad, pathetic and dysfunctional.

I can't see House - nor Wilson, who's just as secretive about his private live - living permanently without the ability to be somewhere alone and undisturbed on their own in a platonic setting. Because those two definitely won't tolerate the others private sphere and leave them be! Not to mention they're sitting on each other nearly 24/7: working next to each other and then going to the same home. It doesn't feel like an arrangement truly born of a wish to share the place like I've seen and experienced in voluntary adult flat sharing as a lifestyle choice.

And what when Wilson inevitably falls in love with the next needy woman, inappropriate patient or new preference female House/Amber-clone? Given the way he seems to completely abandon time with House as soon as romance blossoms (as seen with Amber) it doesn't bode well for sharing living space owned by Wilson...

But then again, I found the "if you die I'm all alone" neither cute nor heart-warming nor emotionally open but rather sad and pathetic too - more desperation than appreciation. So maybe it's just me.
housefruit chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
I like how you set up House to come to the realization of what is home to him. It was very sweet and I love the growth you have given House.
GeeLady chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
Reminded me of House's declaration: "If you die, I'm alone." House finally admits he needs someone to be happy. And needs to be needed, too. This story really reflects how House would probably be feeling about leaving behind his old apartment - and his old self-destructive way of life.

Good job.

(Personally I love that House is off the Vicodin, and has grown in a healthy way. But I also like it that he hasn't fundamentally changed much at all. He's still obsessive and compulsive and drives Wilson crazy, but is even more lovable than before. Plus he can be emotionally vulnerable and can be deeply hurt (What Cuddy did for example), which makes him more endearing. However - still nuts, and that's good!
micetea chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
that was great! House got what home means-Wilson") I hope there will be more!
anitablakevampirehunter chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
This was brilliant! As I was reading, I could see it all playing it out in my head, and it's even better than I could have imagined it!

I like that House was hesitant about the change, House strikes me as the kind of guy who's hesitant about changing his toothpaste brand, let alone a new home. I liked the Dr Nolan element, and the calm way that Wilson accepted the whole thing.

I also really enjoyed the circular layout of your story, working from the end, back through everything that had gotten them both to that stage. Really well written!

Hollie :)