Reviews for Harmony's Return
Guest chapter 8 . 2/23/2014
hi im ashley and to day i hate nannys
Kawaii On'nanoko chapter 7 . 4/2/2013
does she still have those warts and big nose?
Ghostwriter chapter 8 . 7/27/2011
Awesome job. Catch ya on the flip side.
Nellie Potter chapter 8 . 5/21/2011
Holy crap this is a great story! Everyone is in character and wording is amazing. I keep reading it over and over again because it is just that awesome. You are an amazing author and I hope to be reading more of your stories soon.
Alycia malfoy chapter 8 . 5/20/2011
Really good it sounds like a novel
zoe alice chapter 8 . 12/9/2010
Not one of my favorite stories, but worth the read definitely. Mr. Brown/Nanny McPhee - well, you've done that ship proud.
Shadows.in.the.moon chapter 8 . 8/2/2010
i loved this is there gunna be more or is that i because it is a truely awesome stroy, i wanna see how she fairs without magic, that would be new :D
NextChristineDaae chapter 8 . 3/11/2010
And finally, NCD reaches the end, and the journey was a joy from start to finish!

Despite being a non-follower; despite being less than aware of the overall storyline preceding this, you have still enraptured my attention intact, without making me want to look at the time or wonder what else I ought to be doing - only the very best stories have that ability, and you, as a writer, should be proud.

You have a fluid style which rolls off the tongue; you invoke memories and write emotively, bringing out the need for tissues with single lines of prose, without having to resort to garish and over-the-top language to bring across your point.

Your character observations were accurate throughout every stage; the children act like children, think like children and ask questions like children, and your 'adult' characterisations were equally as impressive, taking thoughts and feelings felt by each and every person and acting upon them in a way suitable to their characters, which is the most important thing - that they are themselves still, but simply put in another situation.

In fan fiction, this, I consider, very important; leeway can only go so far, and the leaps one can take as a writer within the plot and how the characters act within them are important to the story, as they must stay true to themselves, ultimately, but the more extravagant the plot, the more liberties can be taken.

And the storyline itself, as I said at the start, was utterly charming, and did, I think, the best possible thing that could be done with Harmony McPhee.

10/10! Superb, and really quite, quite magical!

NCD

X
NextChristineDaae chapter 7 . 3/11/2010
This chapter I think is my absolute favourite: the character reflections are outstanding, both from his point of view, and hers, and hers especially is done with a precise and, indeed, meticulous flow, which matches her overall qualities as a character, and one whom has been taken from her previous position as a 'means to' in the process of the original story into the main character in your writing, and it has been done very well indeed.

'She smiled sadly at herself in the present, thinking about her own childish thoughts of then. However… Even though she had gotten used to being able to travel from here to there in less than a second and sometimes felt like the all omniscient narrator of life; had gotten used to simply tap her wand just to make something magical happen… she sometimes still felt like being part of a fairytale.'

Do I actually have to point out how powerful and suitably perfect that was?
NextChristineDaae chapter 6 . 3/11/2010
*sings* #He likes her, she likes him ...#

I can't help it! Old romantic at heart! But I think Harmony suits her beautifully - I confess I don't know if she actually has a first name, but it sure suits her and her demeanour!

'Mr. Brown's brows analytically knitted together'

Another splendid line there, and good use of wording throughout. It's nice to see an author willing to actually make use of the myriad of words within the English language, instead of relying on simple sentences and making no effort to use a thesaurus! Bravo!
NextChristineDaae chapter 5 . 3/11/2010
'So it happened that Mr. Brown with his eight-headed offspring,' - I utterly adore that line, I really do. Not least because, from a narrative sense, it had the same type of voice-over quality one could expect coming from the lips of Nanny herself.

I like how you have the bashfulness of her character in places before she automatically corrects herself, yet is obviously developing as a character at the same time.

And kudos on the French!
NextChristineDaae chapter 4 . 3/11/2010
Ah, what a stunning line to start the chapter!

'A very loud bang sounded from downstairs, shrieking Nanny McPhee awake abruptly.'

I know that feeling rather too well, and that is possibly the best description I have ever seen for the undesired process of being woken up with a jolt!

"Mr. Brown?" Nanny McPhee questioned, incredulously watching as he seemingly unsuccessfully tried to cut a large bread into slices with a huge knife.

Again, wonderful character observations; I can see her doing that so perfectly.

Sebastian's face started radiating again almost immediately. "I am hungry," he said, looking at Simon briefly.

Nanny McPhee allowed them a little smile, saying, "Come on, then. Go find yourself some clothes to wear. I shall see you downstairs at breakfast soon."

A job well done, me thinks, both for her and the writer! :)
NextChristineDaae chapter 3 . 3/11/2010
Yes, I cheered, even as a non-Nanny McPhee follower, that she was back so soon!

You have her character off to a fine T; excellent in her execution and actions and, indeed, it is almost like seeing a scripted screenplay continuation from whence the film left off!

This line in particular, I loved:

"You really need sleep, Simon. I don't think you have any idea how late it is," she interrupted, secretly tapping the tip of her wooden walking wand onto the floor, sending him into the dreams within instants.

Very good use of prose, as well.
NextChristineDaae chapter 2 . 3/11/2010
Lovely start to this: perfect characters actions, with regard to the children's voices and movements in particular, as well as the evident and lingering sadness from Evangeline's demise, and some stunning choices of phrases:

'In his other calloused hand' and 'periodical follow-up letters' had a brilliantly accurate flow to them, as did some of the latter paragraphs about the spread of this unforgiving plague.
NextChristineDaae chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
Oh, my! That was charming - thoroughly and utterly charming!

Well, as I love individual reviews myself, which I think are important when addressing individual merits of chapters, I shall do therefore do yours individually!

Your introduction was very good indeed; brought you straight into the setting, and, speaking as a person who has only seen the film on which this is based once, and is unfamiliar with the books, it put me immediately at ease as the information was sufficient to take me into the story without the niggling worry of 'missing something'.