Reviews for A Song That Was
Nako13yeh chapter 1 . 2/24
That song chanted by gimli has one on youtube by Eurielle, and it makes your story even more sad... I dunno if you heard it, but it's touching... :'3
Ceana chapter 1 . 8/5/2014
So I promised myself that I would give myself a LOTR "fix" while I ate my lunch at my desk. And what do find, your wonderful one shots. So I settled down and read with a smile on my face knowing it would be a grand ride. That is until I got to this...

"And that was all that mattered to me then; all that matters to me now. He passed to where I could not follow."

Had to put down my sandwich and quickly find a tissue. Bad NiRi, naughty author. How am I supposed to make my co-workers understand that I'm weeping, yes weeping because your beautifully written words touched my heart and made my eyes leak.

Well done.
Legoelf chapter 1 . 6/16/2014
Oh my days much sad much beautiful. That was so moving :)
juniperlei chapter 1 . 10/19/2013
TT_TT i am so sad right now
Petrichora chapter 1 . 7/17/2013
I really wish Tolkien had gone into greater detail about the forming of this friendship in Lothlorien rather than just telling us that it happened. Sad, but moving. :)
Frodo's sister chapter 1 . 9/6/2012
This is a good story. You are a good writer. You can really get into the depth of what it means to exist in a seemingly empty shell.
Fireblade's song chapter 1 . 5/21/2011
Well, it took me a while, but I'm reading fanfiction again...

And naturally, I gravitate to your fics. I won't review all of them, sadly, because I've made a point to review only when I can say more than how much I love it. Not that those are BAD reviews, but I gush enough. XP

Anyway... I like the style of this one. I've always enjoyed your style, but I don't often read first person fics, and I think it takes more work to write an effective story in first person. It didn't quite bring me to tears, but it came closer than much has recently.
Ne'ith5 chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
A beautiful tale of loss and remembrance, let of hope that he remembers some Day that if he just remembers, and keeps Gimili in his heart he will understand that he is still with him and will never leave just as he promised.
The Pearl Maiden chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
*sniff* Ai! So sad... Brava. :)
Simple Fics chapter 1 . 10/4/2010
You really meant that angst warning. I'm sniffling as I write this review, but it was amazingly well-written, and I love it even though it makes me sad.
Galadriel chapter 1 . 8/26/2010
Yikes! So sad! But really well written. Really, I thought J.R.R. Tolkien would have been proud. Even thought this never would have happened, if you read the appendices. Anyway, pulling myself together, it was great! Keep writing!
Blinky-sama chapter 1 . 4/23/2010
I was actually a little skeptical when I clicked on this story, but I was really surprised by its intensity and lack of sappy-ness. Inner frustration is not easy to convey with a character like Legoals, but you've done it beautifully. I really enjoyed this story. :)
Andromakhe chapter 1 . 1/6/2010
I may be a masochist, but I'm drawn to fics like this, that explore what happens when Legolas and Gimli are separated. I felt what Legolas felt, and the song of Moria was a good choice. I recall Legolas went back for Gimli when he was so caught up in grief for Balin's death. So it's neat how you tied that in. I enjoyed the story. It's heavy, but very believable.
Thundera Tiger chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
Was this story not on FanFictionNet? Huh. Strange. I thought it was on my favorites list. Ah well. It is now! There's not much more I can say that I didn't already say in my review over at the MEFAs, but I absolutely love this story! I love the way you change from song to chant, keeping a steady beat that will sustain a body but not necessarily "life." That has to come from memories, and I love the way you make Gimli a constant for Legolas. It's as though the dwarf is the source of strength, even if he's only now present in remembrance. And I love that the chant Legolas remembers is the one Gimli sang in Moria, which was really the beginning of a turning point for both of them. And the portion he remembers is about believe in a future when Durin wakes again! What a fantastic story of endurance, friendship, loyalty, duty, and hope. Simply brilliant!
White Wolf1 chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
It is so sad to think that such sorrow could exist in Valinor, but that is the power of the love for a lost friend. Yet, despite all the hollow feelings that Legolas has, it was good to see that spark of hope that Gimli's presence in elf's heart offered.