Reviews for Stumbling on the Fields of Praise
the-lovely-anomaly chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
I've never been a diehard Buffy fan, but I always had a soft spot for Riley. He was - and is - such an underappreciated character, which saddens me because he was so human, and had so much potential.

This is a beautiful fic. It's flawlessly written, and adds depth to a character that too readily gets tossed aside (which is precisely what a fanfiction should do). I absolutely love it.

Keep writing. You are immensely talented.
Iceworm chapter 1 . 7/1/2010
What a welcome reminder of the odd absence of God there is in the Buffyverse. Riley is, I believe, the only believer that shows up in the series; and if there is another mention of a functioning church outside the one Buffy and Faith fought the vampires in, I don't recall it. (They must get their supply of holy water somewhere.)

Good for you for bringing up Riley's crisis of faith.
BlueHour95 chapter 1 . 3/21/2010
This is sad, dark and haunting, but there's a certain power to it, a quiet despair, not unlike the depression that you describe Riley sliding into. I've always been struck by the absence of faith and religion in the Buffyverse despite the preponderance of spirits and the supernatural.

You did a good job depicting Riley's faith and his 'dark night of the soul', as his faith first becomes an anomaly, then a discomfort, and finally a source of pain that he pushes away. I'm intrigued by the final lines, as it hints that Riley's faith is still there, just buried away because he finds it too hard to reconcile with what he's dealing with in Sunnydale. Have you thought of doing a bookend to this one after Riley gets away from Sunnydale, maybe rediscovering his faith in God? For a contrastign take on the same subject, I'd recommend Eunoia's 'The Ability to Endure'.
Japanese and Chocolate chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
Maybe you should do one where Buffy describes her experuiences of heaven to him. Good writing. There aren't a lot of Riley fics, but you did this one well.
a2zmom chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
This is truly amazing. Beautiful and heart breaking. Many people hate Riley which I've never understood. It wasn't his fault that he fell in love with someon who was never going to completely love him back.

This gives such depth to him and it fits perfectly into what we know about Riley.