Reviews for Vanilla Twilight
nice chapter
Lauren-Shauny chapter 1 . 10/20/2010
Sounds good:)
axel100 chapter 1 . 10/17/2010
My overall review of this story is a perfect build up to Sam and Freddy coming to see a new side to each other. Both clearly go out on their on limbs and sadly Freddy is the one who falls off. There in lies my bigest problem. Most chapters deal with their gradual coming together. Their break up, and then their reconciliation, is taken care of in the final chapter. This leaves the structure of the story somewhat unbalanced. Understandably this is due to the loss of an earlier draft of the final chapter. I am relieved that you were able to finish this up. And then there is Sam's reasoning for breaking off with Freddy. Carly shares culpability, indeed she instigated the kiss. So Sam chooses Carly while severing all ties with Freddie? I guess we can chalk that up to a strictly emotional response. Sam says it herself, Freddy was more expendable. That being said, for all his faults, Freddy should be more upset that Sam would turn her back on him after knowing him for so long, while Carly gets off comparitably light. Oh well, who says a situation carrying this much emotional weight has to make sense? Overall a good story.
Rhiabrey Skye chapter 8 . 10/13/2010
There you go...making me cry again...

Oh, goodness. & you know what really got me going? First it was when Sam was all "Why my best friend?" that broke my heart.

& then towards the near end where Freddie was all "We're done aren't we?" and Sam was all "Yea...yea we are."

Unbelievably believeable & true to their character. I swear, i've been in many fandoms- from Harry Potter to Glee, from Twilight to House, to Gossip Girl to Naruto, but Seddie...Seddie never fails to make my heart ache with passion, sweetness, and heartbreak-something all those fandoms are in lack of.

Lets face it, iCarly's beast.
01110011100001111 chapter 8 . 10/13/2010
I thought this was a superb ending. There's not much else to say about the story itself other than I liked how simple the plot was. A good, simple plot paves the way for all the vivid imagery this story provided. I think the first three chpaters are a terrific little trilogy of sorts. They sort of fit together that way to me...and all the best writing is the drama in this last chapter, which was written with virtuoso aplomb.

For serious, I could read the sort of stuff in ch. 3 all day long. I hate to seem so hung up on it. I mean, the rest of the story is terrific, but that one really impressed me. Hell, what can you do sometimes?

Contrary to what you seem to believe you have a massive well of writerly talent and a great eye for visual detail. Your sarcastic wit also informs the Sam character in a vital way. This was full of great little pearls of insight and emotion, all expertly woven into a nice tapestry.

Sorry, but I really really liked it! :)

Till next time.
Tech-Man chapter 8 . 10/13/2010
Guys always seem to find a single women who in our mind is the ne all and end all for us. Sam was that to Freddie. However, it seems the 99.997% of the time, the guy does something that ruins it for eternity. It is a shame, and not all the blame is on the guy. Both parties contribute. Still a shame in the end.

Wonderful story, I am so glad you put up the final chapter. Excellent work.
01110011100001111 chapter 5 . 10/13/2010
First off...this: "Kimmie and Timmy?" Freddie questioned, eyebrows raised. Well, Carly may have chastised him for asking this question...but it was the first thing I thought too. :)

I enjoyed this chapter because you gave Carly some humanity. I've read countless stories where she winds up being a total black-heart. It's okay that she's jealous here because she still wants to do the right thing. I always appreciate a realistic and decent Carly.

The kissing scene was terrific btw!
01110011100001111 chapter 4 . 10/13/2010
Well this chapter suffers from coming directly after the last chapter...which, to me, was a tour de force and likely the best thing I've read all week. It's still great and eloquent...the truth is that almost nothing you could have written here would have been as good as that.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'too technical'. I reckon you mean it's too detailed...which is an outright bald-faced lie. I really enjoyed the mechanics of the main scene. I also loved the first paragraph of the chapter. Somehow the idea that Sam's father ISN'T a deadbeat is more depressing to me than anything else could be...mainly because it's realistic and therefore more sympathetic an idea? I'm not sure.
01110011100001111 chapter 3 . 10/13/2010
Like other hugely talented folks I know, you greatly underestimate yourself. I could write out a list but I don't want to embarass any of them. (You know most of them anyway)

This was my favorite chapter thus far. Just tremendous. I like stories set during the summer...but winter has it's own secret magic too. This chapter captures that in such a hidden way that I suspect it might not have been intentional.

Their first 'real' date (the movie trip hardly counts) was quite a keeper. Nice and fun and understated. Most importantly...REAL. I like how you get the notion across that they aren't a normal high school couple. Going to the movies is an epic fail for them. Playing around outside like children is where it's at. That's the connection they have.

This also contains a reference to one of the key reasons I ship Sam and Freddie: Freddie's mom. Sam is the answer to Freddie's mom's incessant coddling. He badly needs to distance himself from it to mature.
01110011100001111 chapter 2 . 10/13/2010
I really enjoyed the pacing of this chapter. Give them something to argue over and have the undercurrent of attraction make itself known. At least to a degree. I think you achieved this goal more than adequately. With proper finesse and some bitingly funny bits of dialogue from Sam.

Also...isn't that a Tom Petty song?'re a FRIENDS fan aren't you? Princess Banana Hammock...:)

Listen, these versions of Sam and Freddie are OOC to me in a terrific way. You take the best traits of each one and add the depth that's missing on the show. Be proud of that. I'd rather read these versions than watch the show!
01110011100001111 chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
I wasn't sure what to expect here. I've read two radically different things from you, both interesting in their own ways. I've gotta say...for a first chapter this was near perfect. Like other stories I've read, I forgot who was writing it as reality disappeared around me. I swear that's the truth. This chapter alone put some hooks into me...and I'd only intended to review the thing as a whole.

I think it's all the lovely descriptive passages and the sparse dialogue. You really know how to paint a picture with the words!

You've got the right kind of Freddie here too: Introspection. That's the key and the trick with him I think.
pigwiz chapter 8 . 10/12/2010
A perfect ending to a perfect story. It just doesn't get better you know.

The part I REALLY adore is the chance meetings, the starcrossed lovers. Just because it missed then, doesn't mean it won't 'take' later.

I've been following this since you started it, I think it may have been the first of yours that I read. And, I must say that it was truly a wonderful and heartening discovery.

This is the part when you stand, accept the bouquet and take your bows amid the thunderous applause.

ober22 chapter 8 . 10/12/2010
The end was wonderful! I was squealing like a little girl, and it made me so happy. Such a great ending.
axel100 chapter 8 . 10/12/2010
So glad that you finished this up. Thanks to our aussie friend as well for helping polish off this masterpiece. Bravo!
Tech-Man chapter 6 . 9/24/2010
I need some form of release here. I cannot believe that she found out about that. Well, I can, because it makes perfect sense in the world around them. I think that my biggest issue with this world is that Sam's actions are almost too out of phase with everything else. Her desire to kiss him, but not kiss him is almost more thinking on Sam's part than I would have thought. Granted you do a good job of wrapping it all up nicely, but I would like to see some more explanation from this point forward. Please and thank you.

Welcome to the Cabal.