Reviews for THE MALE MAN
LouiseKurylo chapter 1 . 6/5/2014
Very enjoyable. Makes perfect sense House could have Aspergers. Love the interaction between House and Wilson, and Wilson covering for House. Intimate and loving ... in their way. Thanks for writing it.
OldSFfan chapter 5 . 7/26/2013
Not to get in the way of a good story, but due to HIPAA, Cameron could go to prison and pay a whopping fine for revealing House's Aspberger's condition.
Alessa chapter 5 . 5/2/2013
Not boring at all. Wonderful story !
Maashellee chapter 5 . 11/14/2012
Loved this!
Bakerstreet Blues chapter 3 . 9/27/2012
Oh thank GAWD...I almost missed the judgmental trollop known as CAMERON...hahaha I wonder what disease SHE has that allows her SELECTIVE MEMORY? Can anyone spell EZRA POWELL? hahaha

You go girl...
Bakerstreet Blues chapter 1 . 9/27/2012
rock on
Hollow chapter 5 . 9/6/2012
Not bad, not brilliantly written, but not bad. Your depiction of Aspergers wasn't as appalling as other authors have made it. Season Six House with his "trying to change for the better" attitude is potentially irritating, but you didn't do too badly, certainly better than your other fics. Not sure why you have him drinking non alcoholic beverages though, although he was off the vicodin for a while he was never off booze. Even in the very early episodes of Season Six he was making alcoholic jello in Wilson's fridge.

It must suck for authors like you, who got so invested in clean,sober,in therapy!House to have to acknowledge that the therapy was a complete failure and he was back on drugs within a fairly short space of time. The psychiatric treatment shown in the show was far from a healthy, realistic depiction anyway. It's just unfortunate that people such as yourself got so caught up in it that you use it as an excuse to write out of character 's face it, Post-Mayfield House, the *real* House, not the wishy washy version that the writers soon realised was causing their ratings to drop, was exactly the same as Pre-Mayfield House. He was back to his usual bastard self long before he got back on drugs. Shame for you. Oh well, thats what make believe is for, right?
Jessica chapter 5 . 4/13/2011
Excellent plot and protrait of House with Asperger's! Came across your work accidentally through the internet and addicted to it! Will read all of your House fanfic more!
GE WALDO chapter 5 . 2/26/2011
FROM THE AUTHOR: This story generated more controversy than any other I have ever written. That is always a risk when you take on a subject you first have to research to try and understand it. Naturally I only came to comprehend some of what it must be like to have Aspergers and, again naturally, many wrote in to scold me on how poorly the story was written and all of my mistakes on the disorder itself.

I also received many letters praising me on my work and level of understanding, despite being "neuro-average"(as one medical quiz site termed it).

The varying letters, from scorn to praise, tell me (though I may very well be wrong) that those with Aspergers experience a wide variety of "symptoms" - perhaps effects is a better word? - and there are no text book absolutes where Aspergers is concerned. Those who have Aspergers appear to have a wide variety and degree of effects, as the letters have pointed out. I take this to heart, and thank all readers for their comments.
mynamemattersnot chapter 5 . 12/24/2010
I do several... ... one includes house not actually not being human but being a dragon and they find out cause one of his kind come to visit him but is an evil one so house has to shape shift into his original form and save his team and then its a government conflict u can decide y and how house defends off enemy dragons notice the change from singilar to plural i bet no one wrote a story like that hahaha hope ull be readin tis if not i have a story! give me credit
yvette xo chapter 5 . 12/5/2010
Though I don't know that much about Aspergers I really enjoyed your unique and interesting story. Of course, especially loved the House/Wilson aspects, but also thought you did a great job with the rest of the story, such as the "medical mystery" :) Well done!
AMP chapter 5 . 11/13/2010
House doesn't have Asperger's. Asperger's is primarily a social disability. People with Asperger's have a very hard time 'reading' other people's body language, emotions, etc. and usually have a hard time telling when people lie (there are other symptoms of Asperger's as well, but this is a major one). House, in canon, is above average in his ability to read people. Most Aspies will have a conversation and have a hard time figuring out idioms, facial expressions, tone of voice, etc. and sometimes respond inappropriately (inappropriate meaning an awkward or irrelevant response, not necessarily implying the use of fart jokes, sexual comments, etc.) to the situation. House, however, picks up on these things instinctively, and that's what keeps him employed.

If you want to write decent fan fiction, you can't pick and choose which aspects of a character's personality to include and which to ignore (even if the show's writers do it, too - but that's a different issue). Yes, House does have a few Asperger's-like traits. And Wilson was right to briefly consider the possibility of House having Asperger's in 'Lines in the Sand.' But it's just not even close to possible when you seriously consider House's entire personality and not just the parts that work for your story.

You claim to have researched Asperger's Syndrome, and I'm going to assume you've watched at least a few episodes of House, so I really can't see where you could have missed this.

I didn't mean to be this harsh when I decided to write this review, but this story really pissed me off.
sami1010220 chapter 5 . 10/23/2010
great job. i don't know a lot about aspergers, so it was definitely an enlightening read.
Matteic chapter 5 . 7/9/2010

Just finished the story. It's very good ! I remember in the show, with a severe autistic boy, Wilson told Cuddy about Asperger's and she said House isn't - idea maybe comes from here ? - but in your story it's good. Very good explanation about everything he learned to act socially normal.

The relation with Wilson is very nice - tender and loving with a good balance. I loved the restaurant with the parents, and the scenes with the boys' parents. Can actually see them *grins*

Very good job !
Fred chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
... Wait. How is "What's good on the menu for tonight?" a rhetorical question? It's a question, right? And... _ Y'know, never mind.

I have Asperger's, actually, and the A/N nearly scared me off reading this... Decided to give it a chance... I really enjoyed the first half of the chapter, but, uh, no. I'm sorry, but it does show that you've never actually met anyone with the disorder.

I've known a lot of people with Autism or Asperger's... This version of House isn't quite right. It was surprisingly on and enjoyable at first, but then it went off in a different direction. Normally, Autie or Aspie characters make /more/ sense to me than NT ones. This version of House just makes no sense. He's catatonic when he should be freaking out. He's freaking out when he should be catatonic. He's got too many "savant"-y skills all jumbled together with normalness and he seems like an NT with issues. I'm confused, and I don't read about Aspies to be confused. I read about Aspies to be UN-confused.

I can tell you /did/ do all the research, but it's such a spectrum-y disorder... You can't imitate it unless you've seen it, I guess. I don't know. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky - I'm sure that the disorder isn't all that your story's about, but I don't have the patience to read through an improperly-rendered depiction of this particular mental disorder. I'm familiar enough with it that the mistakes are obvious. And glaring. And... yeah.

Your writing was nice, though! Honestly, it's just that one aspect of it I didn't like. I'll probably even go check out your other stories. Hell, I might even run into this again 2 years from now and like it. It's just... off, in a way I'm not content with at the moment.

If you want an example of a well-done portrayal of Asperger's that's easy to find online, look for ReGenesis on Hulu. 3/4 seasons are on there, the rest are available on the ever-obnoxious Megavideo. Bob is fantastic. I'd always wondered what it looked like when I did that frowning tick-y thing with my mouth (although I also do/did it with my eyebrows, unlike Bob. Lucky bastard.), and it was fascinating to see.

For those of you who think House actually has Asperger's... There's this... something... about Auties and Aspies, in the way we/they move or talk or something... I can usually tell they have it really soon after meeting them. Either immediately or within an hour, actually, and I've yet to be wrong, for what it's worth. House doesn't have that at all. Maybe a little, but not really. More than just the fact that Canon Has Disproved It, it's his lack of that something that's got me dismissing the idea as far as canon goes. It IS a lovely idea for a fic, though.