Reviews for The Galdr of Release
Laluzi chapter 2 . 4/13
Oh, wow. The way you've portrayed the Goddesses, the way you tied in a player's numerous Game Overs with Link's growth... that was just horrifying. And you've done an amazing job with Midna.
Shadows of Darkness chapter 7 . 2/7
Amazing plot! One of the things that endeared to me the most was how you managed a silent Link, whose actions spoke louder than words. And of course Midna was still very mischievous but her and Link's characterization was very in-depth and well thought out, not to mention all the other characters too.
Are you going to update this story in the future or is it discontinued because I think this is the seventh time I am rereading this fic and I just have to know if it will be continued. After reading this, most of the other MidnaLink fics just didn't cut it anymore. And I am sure many people will be sad to see this story left behind. So, I hope to hear from you soon

-SofD
Aronim chapter 7 . 9/24/2013
I can't quite seem to make up my mind about this story. The plot is interesting, and there is much emotion, some fun bits and the writing is generally solid.

But Midna is really, really bitchy. I am well aware that she will never be a prim and proper and mellow character, but you write her as incredibly vain, arrogant and petty all at once and it just, to me at least, seems as a little too much. I can see the appeal at spitting in the face of conceited gods, but she is seriously unsympathetic for most of this fic if you ask me and the fact that she chooses war on the goddesses plans over potentially saving her people, just for Link, while showing her admirable change to becoming really, really loyal, really smacks of skewed priorities in the grand scheme of things. Adding to that, I'm not sure what you want to show with the goddesses, you've really taken an unpleasant angle on them.

Then again, the evidence for that is in the canon, particularly Wind Waker.

Let it not be said that I'm just here to complain though. Your focus on showing the overwhelming presence the goddesses have is a really interesting take, making them have an overpowering aura of just being right and beautiful and all that, despite Midna's intense dislike, is a great idea. You do divine, alien, maybe ineffable beings very well, though they seem really petty arrogant somehow as well. Though that is the thing with ineffability and I guess that might be your point.

On a pure writing stand-point, you could use some polish. Your general writing is good, but you make mistakes, bad mistakes. You miss crucial words or choose words poorly in a lot of sentences, like forgetting a "not" in a sentence that absolutely needs it and your narrative gets confusing at times, because you choose odd phrasings. Several of the sentences spoken by gods or spirits get really confusing and though it might be by design, it looks more like I'm confused by poor writing than because you succeeded in having the goddesses be properly cryptic. Also, in some cases, still mostly the goddess conversations, it would be nice to have some more comments on who speaks and who does what, because sometimes, the narrative seems a little starved of such things.

To finish: This story has me teetering between dislike and love for it, because the writing and ideas generally are solid, but lack of polish and a decidedly negative slant to everything wears on me a little, particularly how nasty, violent and unpleasant Midna actually seems when I think about it. Still, the fact that I probably will be back for the next chapter should tell you that, whatever you do, it kinda gets its hooks in me.

Happy writing.
Takareer chapter 7 . 7/13/2013
Your portrayal of Midna and Link is the best I have EVER seen and your writing is absolutely superb. Please, please continue!
hyrushoten chapter 7 . 6/22/2013
Glad to see you're still working on this. Another great chapter and I really like the Spirit.
madlink007 chapter 1 . 6/22/2013
You have created one of the most badass Links I have ever heaed of, and your writing is superb.
XPloyalist chapter 4 . 9/17/2012
This is a bit late, but I was enjoying the memories of Majora's Mask. I recognized that scene immediately. It is my belief that Link's quest in MM was made to psychologically break Link: after saving everyone in Hyrule only to be forever forgotten, he sets out to find the only possible person to remember him, but becomes trapped in a world where everyone forgets him every time he stops the moon from crushing them all, if only for another three days. However, in my belief, Link in MM has learned the joy of simply helping people from his experiences in OoT. Guilt and duty may have viewed his quest against Ganondorf initially, but in the end, he learned that he enjoyed helping others. If you like The World Ends with You, how about another classic Squaresoft game. From 1995, the SNES classic and contender for greatest JRPG of all time (and best game in general), Chrono Trigger.
ilikecupcakes chapter 6 . 9/16/2012
i really really love this story. you don't know how much i appreciate how you keep the characters the way they are in the actual game. like link not talking, midna being sarcastic, renado quiet but wise. can't wait for next chapter :-)
Kyu-Momo chapter 6 . 6/14/2012
Wow... This is awesome! :D
Kyu-Momo chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
Wow... This is awesome so far! :)
ToriOkashi chapter 1 . 4/2/2012
Perfect, Just Perfect your the only person that i have noticed use Link and Midna perfectly their personalitys Are great! i get really into this story i have reread every page! i love it! Without Link talking is perfect just like in the game i dont know what he is thinking and i like it like that XD midna on the other hand is awesome her spunk is just exciting! i love this story!
Arsenic Cupcakes chapter 1 . 3/28/2012
This fic is amazing. I could just leave it at that, but I’m the type who’s inclined to elaborate ridiculously on that and you seem the type to appreciate some good CC, so hopefully we’ll coincide on that… xD

That you maintain Link’s familiar silent nature is extremely impressive to me. I really don’t think I could manage to do the same if I tried! I’m sure it’s much easier to make him unspeaking but understandable through visuals in the course of a game than it is through words in the course of a story. And yet here he’s so expressive and you can totally get a sense of his character, but of course he never even says anything.

I love your description of Midna’s visions as “sketchy”, “covering reality with their lines and shades and acting as if nothing strange was going on”… It lends an essential sort of eerie feeling to the visions. Visions as they’re described in most stories still sound very distinct from reality to me, like day and dusk, but I find your description of Midna’s visions very refreshing in that they really overlap reality. I think that makes them much more chilling and gives a much greater sense of confusion/disorientation.

One thing… When Midna takes the book, I think it’s already pretty well implied that Link knew at the moment the clerk yells, “You gave me 25 extra!” I don’t think you even need to describe Midna looking at the price on the book and discovering it cost 25 rupees. I think you could get away with just straight up skipping to the part where Midna feels irritated with Link ‘cos he’s such a nice guy. ;) (Asking what other readers think might be a good idea though, since my inference has just been freakishly sharpened by years of bookworming… xD )

I just love how you use your words too. I don’t come across many fanfics with this kind of captivating vocabulary and style… I don’t know why exactly but I just absolutely love the “fairy of the winds ululated beautifully” bit. Probably because you used the word "ululated". x3
hyrushoten chapter 6 . 3/15/2012
This is easily one of my favorite Zelda fanfics. Your Midna is excellent, portraying her with all the complexity one would expect while still keeping her character believable and consistent. Your action scenes are also very well written, somehow managing to portray just how badass Link is at the same time as showing just how easy it is for him to fail. I'm very interesting in seeing where this goes, although I'm a bit concerned since at some point you mentioned you were doing three three-chapter arcs and an epilogue and the story feels like it is only around the halfway point at most and not 2/3rds done. The only other issue is that sometimes you have an off-hand mention of Link explaining things to Midna in the past, which doesn't match with the whole mute thing you have going on. Overall though this is an excellent story that deserves a lot more reviews. Keep up the good work.
Ghost of the moonlight chapter 5 . 1/21/2012
Wow I feel bad for Link. I always thought it would suck to be him. I really like this story... so intriguing. And mysterious.
a reader chapter 5 . 6/16/2011
Any chance of an update?