Reviews for Loving Bonds
rinlossien chapter 1 . 11/22/2014
I've loved your writing, about any fandom, for a long time. I've not had much time for any kind of fanfic in years, but recent surgery had me listening to the Dark is Rising books, and prompted me to do a fic search.

I like how your depiction of Blodwen's dueling desires, and how her mortal form was effecting changes in her she was at least partially conscious of but not altogether able to counter. I took her "trembling at how close she had come to unraveling the fabric of the world." to refer as much to her response to the possibility she might have hurt the man she had come to love (the existence of the emotion suggesting that her time as a mortal had unseen and likely undesired impacts on her), as to her thoughts about what would have happened had she killed the baby.

I like this more nuanced depiction of the character, and the suggestion that humanity is, at least in some small way, as great a power as the light or the dark. As your story suggests, Blodwen Rowlands could have done any number of things to remove the pendragon's future impact on the final battle's outcome, or at least significantly reduce it, but she didn't- because she loved John Rowlands.

Thank you for a great backstory.
Tea for Lupin chapter 1 . 12/5/2011
This is a really interesting story with strong characterization that hits the mark very well. You are right; Blodwen Rowland's/the White Rider is a most curious character... I like that you touched on the issue of 'why didn't she just kill Bran straightaway'... I've always found it a slightly puzzling weak point in the books, the bringing of Bran through time (how was that going to make Arthur believe that Bran was actually his son?) and the fact that the Dark kne where he was but still let him live and grow into his full power. Thanks for this story; I hope the recipient of the gift fic liked it!
Violamom chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
I have long been a fan of TDIR, and am only now braving this archive of fan fiction, wading through all the inevitable slashy dreck, and you, my dear, will win the honor of being the first TDIR fanfic I favorite, for this extremely well-written and well-thought out story.

John Rowlands is such a great character, so I was instantly drawn into this, and I think your musings on this part of the Pendragon's history are very plausible. I love the little flashes of temptation Blodwen has, and how she stuffs it in. It's all very Cooperesque and could easily fit as a prologue to The Grey King just beautifully.

I noticed you don't have a lot in this fandom, but would you ever consider tackling Merriman's beginnings? I've been wondering lately about his training as the First Old One-how old he was, how he gained his knowledge (since I'm assuming the Book of Grammarye hadn't yet been written), etc. I'm not a creative writer, but I'd sure love to see someone of your caliber dip their toe into such waters.

Bravo for a terrific read!
ariex chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
I really liked this story. It's an interesting look at the mind of one of the dark. I thought you did a great job with John Rowlands' character and with the plot. It's interesting to imagine, the human part of Blodwen being stronger than the Dark.
Netrixie chapter 1 . 1/7/2010
This was amazing. I always wondered why she let Bran grow in 'her' little area of the world. This is def a fav.
hakuisagirl chapter 1 . 1/6/2010
as usual i really enjoyed you story.

i always look forward to reading your work, it always leaves me wanting more and usually leads me to new authors and stories / series that i haven't read yet.

when are you going to publish some of your own works?

your loyal fanclub is waiting.