Reviews for The Bitter and the Sweet
Whispers of the Silver Shadows chapter 1 . 5/27/2014
:'( I love it. Sad and sweet.
Snehalotr chapter 1 . 3/14/2014
I have wondered how the meeting between Isildur and Aragorn would go, after all he is responsible for all his sorrows. But, then again he would not have met Arwen. The reunion between Halbarad and Aragorn had me grinning from ear to ear. Heartwarming!
magis1 chapter 1 . 11/23/2013
wow... *searching for words*...
well, This is a very well thought and well written possibility.
I like it.
"even a king might find his heart pounding from nerves"
What a sentiment! To see Aragorn arriving at the hither shores from Isildurs POV makes for quite an interesting read.
Thanks for sharing this gem.
magis

BTW how about other POVs? Like Boromir, Denethor or Smeagol and Frodo? ;-)
Window Girl chapter 1 . 11/22/2013
Beautiful. And yes, Aragorn would have an understated arrival like that.
ellisk chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
Wow. You got me crying in a public place again. Powerful!
LeDragonQuiMangeDuPoisson chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
I've always believed that Halbarad and Aragorn would meet again, and I'm glad to see that you do, too. That he also meets his father I hadn't really thought of, but that he meets Isildur...perfect. This was such a perfect way to start my day - thank you for sharing it! It's absolutely heart-wrenchingly beautiful.
Jarakrisafis chapter 1 . 3/11/2012
You need a tissue warning for this. I had to take a break to go find mine.

How very very fitting indeed that it is Aragorn who finally releases Isildur from his sins, not any greater power.

Beautifully written and wonderfully poignant.
Glory Bee chapter 1 . 10/2/2011
This was just beautiful! Thanks for sharing and making me cry :)
Emberike chapter 1 . 9/27/2011
This brought tears to my eyes. You capture the emotions perfectly and the characterization is brilliant. Truly a gem.
Tulip Proudfoot chapter 1 . 9/22/2011
One of the best stories I've read in a long, long time. Excellent characterizations of both Kings. Thanks you for a very interesting and enjoyable story.
Rivergift chapter 1 . 9/16/2011
This is wonderful! It's insightful, hopeful, a beautiful look at what lay beyond the dark sea, and a tale of final redemption. I love your Isildur, for all his flaws, for he is human- and a great king, despite it all. In the condemning of his taking of the Ring people often forget his valour in attacking Sauron to take said Ring in the first place, and you bring out his courage, shame and love capably.

Oh, and I love your Aragorn. He is, I think, the very image of Tolkien's character, a noble, compassionate, great king. And in the absolution of one both are healed. Thank you for this story!
Laeriel Oranor chapter 1 . 8/1/2011
Simply beautiful...I have never read anything like this in all the stories I have ever read. It is truly unique in every way. Well done.
omishiloh chapter 1 . 7/24/2011
Why this has so few reviews, I do not understand.

It is beautiful, heart-wrenching, sad and hopeful all at once. My breath was taken away more than once by the amount of detail- the waves, the ship docking, the reason Aragorn needs no fanfare.

Thank you for such wonderful work!

-omishiloh
Matteic chapter 1 . 1/19/2011
My Favorites list will explode if I continue to read LotR stories... there are so many wonderful ones !

"Spiritual", for sure, "Drama" I don't know. *takes her dictionary* Ah, yes, that's what I thought - the sense is closer to Greek than in French, where it's close to "Tragedy". But then, a lot of stories could qualify with "drama" qualities... ok, that's not the subject.

I'm not a LotR geek, there is much I don't know in the elven history, but it's not the first time I see an old Lord looking at Arda and thinking deep and wonderfully written thoughts. Bravo. And I love Aragorn.

In France we have an author (Bernard Werber : some of his books, about ants, have been translated, but I'm not sure about this cycle) who built a whole world about what happens after death (mostly, you have 2 possibilities : getting reborn, or becoming an angel and guiding 3 souls).

I lost my father a few years ago, so every story where the dead meet back again have my whole benediction.
Striderette9 chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
This story truly brings tears to my eyes. An incredibly moving portrait of what might lie beyond the circles of the world. I especially like the way you tell the story of Aragorn's arrival through the eyes of Isildur; this allows Isildur's joy at seeing the great king to mix poignantly with his own guilt over his failure to destroy the Ring over 3,000 years before. Even as Isildur fears the "rebuke" of the one who labored many long years against the Bane, finally restoring the Reunited Kingdom, what he receives instead from Aragorn is compassion, understanding, and sweet release from his guilt and shame. How beautifully redemptive!