Reviews for A Lesson
Guest chapter 1 . 4/25/2013
This was a very intriguing piece, and I always did wonder how Crane knew how to ride a horse in Batman Begins. It's interesting how Sherry is the one to teach him in this story, and how she seems sympathetic towards him, at least a little bit. Also, it's good to see Sherry have a happy moment with young Jonathan - especially given how their relationship resolves itself canonically. It was also a nice touch for Jonathan to have books with him before he goes riding with Sherry. That fits his character perfectly.

You get across Sherry's personality - haughty, with a mean streak, but not without sympathy - very well in so few words, as well as Jonathan's anxiety. The concept of how Sherry would fit into the Nolanverse is an interesting one, and you do a great job with a sadly underused character. I always saw Sherry as a character with a great deal of potential, especially since relatively little about her is known from canonical material, and you do a great job with both her and her relationship with Crane.

The dialogue fits both characters very nicely, and is believably fluid and informal. The interaction between Jonathan and Sherry is very well done, especially since it's clear that Jonathan is trying to seem brave and not embarrass himself by being visibly afraid. Even though this experience was probably not a bad one for him, I have no doubt that his relationship with Sherry won't end well. I'm certainly going to read more of your Jonathan/Sherry pieces, since you write her as a character extraordinarily well and have a great take on her relationship with Crane.

Excellent work. You did a great job with both lead characters, and I look forward to reading more of your Sherry/Jonathan stories.
Twitchylicious chapter 1 . 2/2/2010
Poor Jonny. :c This was a nice story. 3
E. S. Young chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
There really aren't enough stories that focus on Jonathan's relationship with Sherry outside of 'he had a crush on her, she turned him down, he accidentally killed her and became the Scarecrow, the end.' This is especially troublesome when I haven't been able to find the comic that features Miss Squires, nor do I even have any idea which comic that is. So, needless to say, this is really nice to see.

I really like the fact that they're friends. As in, really, really like it. Maybe it's just me, but the typical geek-loves-hot-chick story line just never seemed to fit Jon (especially Nolanverse Jon). From what I've read about his feelings for Sherry, I kinda got the impression that he was mostly attracted to her because she was beautiful and that he didn't really know her as a person, which... just feels a little off, for some reason. I can see him being too afraid to ask her out, or being attracted to her then realizing that it could never happen and moving on, but I still think that there would have to be something about her personality (like here, she's actually NICE to him). Trying to ignore my own "canon" here, he comes off as the kind of guy who would be attracted to someone's personality more than anything, and looks would probably be one of the last things that he would think of. So, love the fact that in this story he's friends with Sherry and actually seems to trust her on some level. It makes it more believable. To me, anyway.

And horses! It's only come up, like, once that I can remember in fanfiction: Not sure if you've read it, but Blodeuedd's "The Equestrian" is great, especially the ending. That said, horseback riding is definitely something I'd wanted to address in F&M, so I'm glad to see that the thought occurred to someone else, as well. Seriously, I can remember watching Batman Begins and wondering how in the hell Dr. Prim and Proper with a Stick Up His Arse learned to ride a horse. Gotta say, the reasons leading up to your answer to the question are much nicer than my own.

Overall, much as I love Crane/Harley, I really like the Jon/Sherry universe you've created. Any chance you'll be adding to this story?
thebison chapter 1 . 1/10/2010
Toccata No. 9,

How sweet! I liked that you focused on the Johnathan/Sherry relationship, because they're really aren't that many of those out there. Oh, and I really cracked up when I read your paragraph about the Scarecrow on you're profile. He is also my favorite.

Just one question: Is this supposed to be a universe where Sherry actually likes Crane? Because I thought that she was just using him and etc. (I haven't really done my research)

Anyways, very short, but not really lacking. Nicely succint. A small insight into a relationship, which really is helpful for character development. I don't really know what else I can say about it, but it defintely doesn't reveal any flaws in your writing style. Can't wait to read more!

Yours Truly,

SubjectiveReality
HoistTheColours chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
Aw, this was so cute! I absolutely love your one shots. I wish this could have been a tad longer, (you write so well!) but it was still good nonetheless. :D

Oh, and by the way, since I accidentally deleted your last review reply before I could respond to it, I just wanted to say thank you for checking out 'Clockwork'. I don't know what chapter you're on yet, but I can't wait until you reach the ending and post a review. I'll be looking forward to it. :D

Anyway, lovely one shot you've created here. You kind of skimped on the details a little bit, (I would have loved if you would have described where they were - a barn? a huge open pasture under the blue sky? the woods?) but other than that I have nothing to complain about. Good job! Keep these little one shots coming! :D

Sincerely,