Reviews for Herald of the King
The Winterwitch chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
What a nice glimpse into Elrond's past! I love stories which fill the canon gaps, and this one is a particularly good one about my favourite Tolkien character, Elrond. Thank you for this entertaining read.
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 3/6/2012
Except weren't Elros and Elrond raised to adulthood by the remaining Sons of Fëanor Maedhros and Maglor? At least that's how I always pictured it.
chisscientist chapter 1 . 1/14/2010
Very cute story. I always like seeing stories about Gil-galad.
SusanMc chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
Ah, stone soup, loved by even Noldorian kings. That tale was part of the second grade and a favorite of all my children.

It's nice to see a story from the Second Age. So many pivotal events, but it seems to get so little attention.

It is sobering to see the realities of war hitting even great kings. Gil-Galad is weay and Elendil expresses a very realistic anger at Anarion in his grief.

“The loss of a child is more painful to contemplate than one’s own death,” How very true! And I'm sure it would be true in any age, any race.
Susan W chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
Most excellent!

This is a tale rich in visual images. "Ash, bare earth and rock... Elrond, Herald and Second-in-Command to King Gil-galad, forced his mind to stroll down the lanes of better locals, whisking him away from this cheerless place of death, dirt, and choking dust as he picked his way across the stony ground towards the tent of the High King." The reader is transported to this campsite with Elrond, not just through the images of physical landscape, but also through the atmosphere of shared grief and friendship.

I love that Gil-galad could give comfort to the grieving father. They shared a bond of brotherhood through long years of war.

The flashback of young Elrond and Elros was sweet. Children are always excited about camping out even if it is in their own backyard. ;) :) Elros and his big bag of stuff was a hoot. And the "stone soup" was a good memory.

At least there was a moments relaxation and enjoyment for these two friends.

I love your little Estel tales, but you are also an excellent writer on the other characters within Tolkien's world. Please do write more of them. Faramir meeting Elrond (or other elves) for the first time. ;) :) hint hint!
ellfine chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
wonderful sotry, full of compassion and care. nicely done.
Elwen chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

The images of love scattered liberaly throughout warmed my heart.
Danielle chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
I enjoyed this very much. A very tender story.
Evendim chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
What a wonderful surprise, and haven't you been a busy bear!

This story was a delight from beginning to end. The atmosphere around the camp, the detailed descriptions, and the characterizations all were wonderful!

Gil-galad has always intrigued me, and he and Elrond together makes for a great combination. Elendil and Isildur were very credible. The pain caused by the death of Anarion was so hard to 'see'.

The section in flashback added depth to the long friendship between the high king and Elrond, good, too, to glimpse Elrond and Elros, and the shipwright!

Lovely tie in to the potato soup that Elrond made for Gil-galad and himself. This was such a good tale, and its really good to see you experiment with new plotlines and characters!

Thank you so much for the lovely birthday gift!

EJ x