Reviews for Goodnight, Noises Everywhere
Renee Aubin chapter 11 . 12/3/2021
Quite a story about how the sleepy town of Forks turned into ‘a Clockwork Orange world’. Bella sure got her own experience of that. But how would you really believe it, if you didn’t see for yourself?

Good reflection on school: ‘I'd give anything to be bored out of my mind and half-asleep and itching for the bell to ring. Boredom was a luxury. If you were bored, it meant you weren't afraid, that all your needs were met but being entertained.’

Amazing imagination: ‘I watched the sun go down until darkness fell completely. With no electricity and no stars in the sky, you may as well have had your eyes closed. I wouldn't go anywhere here now, not until sunrise, not familiar enough with the floorplan to be able to wander confidently in the dark the way I could at home.’

Whew, a (long past) moment of lightness: ‘…honestly, getting guidance from Charlie on the finer points of bitchery and its uses in self-defense could lead only to the both of us lying on the floor, clutching our bellies and wheezing from laughter.’

She decides to walk home from the high school in the pitch dark? And she does manage to pull it off.

Boy, if I had to survive in a situation like that, I guess I’d quickly get over my pickiness about food.

Terrific:
‘"I'll find you," I said, swallowing hard, "even if you end up killing me."
Now that I'd experienced being with another sentient creature again, I knew I couldn't survive long completely alone.’
Renee Aubin chapter 10 . 12/3/2021
Excellent, when she’s wondering whether she regretted giving him the blood and triggering his "wild animal" nature:
‘If I'd been given the offer to trade my solitary life for a few moments of tenderness, of companionship, I would have made the same decision. No regrets.’

Wow, when he catches up to her:
‘I'd closed my eyes, thinking it would be easier, or the right thing to do. But I found in this last moment that I didn't want to go like this, to slip into forever in the dark behind the veils of my eyelids. I would open my eyes. I would say goodbye to the sun. I let my eyes open, hungrily taking in everything around me, even the face of my killer.’

(I’ve even read this before and I’m wondering how she survives this moment!)

Well described: ‘… his body shook, his fingers piercing through the thin fabric of my shirt, easily slipping inside the smooth flesh underneath as if my skin were as fragile as eggshell, as porous as if it were made of vapor.’

What a tense action scene, and the moment of decision seems to come when she says she forgives him. He believes he has the strength not to follow her if she would just run away. And then she’s unbelievably dense about taking his advice. But then this Bella hasn’t had the benefit of endless hours of Edward telling her he doesn’t want to be a monster.
Renee Aubin chapter 9 . 12/3/2021
When she offers her blood:
"I never … we didn't feed from people," he said. "I don't know what will happen if I drink this. I don't know what that will make me."
Of course Edward would fight her on this! But apparently this Edward didn't have a rebellious period and hasn't done this before.

Sounds like a typical Edward-Bella disagreement:
‘“I could not bear it if I took from you."
"But I've taken it from myself already," I said, growing angrier with his strange morality.’

Well imagined, when she makes the scrape on her chin bleed:
‘I heard something like a growl come from Edward, and his eyes were finally open, black as night. He looked like an animal. "Edward?" I asked, but it seemed as though he could no longer hear me.
If he hadn't been so exhausted, I'm sure he would have killed me right there, but his lunge at me was slow enough for me to dodge.’
Not surprisingly, she had to go to an extreme to get him to accept her gift.

She ‘watched with fascination as life seemed to flow from his face down his neck and into the rest of his body. He had no idea I was in the room—for him the entire world now consisted only of him and the bag in his hands.’

Ooh, great use of the canon line:
‘A tiny smile danced at the corners of his mouth, and with a smooth, cruel voice I didn't recognize, he said, "Bella, you really shouldn't have done that."
He rose slowly to his feet, but before I could celebrate how my blood had brought him strength, he said just one word:
"Run."’
Yikes!
Renee Aubin chapter 8 . 12/3/2021
This is such an interesting twist on their relationship. She’s the only one who can keep him strong enough to be a real companion. If he changes her, they both starve.

Good description of how the change of having Edward around, even though it was hugely positive, was unnerving to her.

Re Renee and her tanning: ‘Now I knew she'd been right all along—what good would it have done to cover up head to toe, to slather herself with SPF 100, if the virus was going to take her in a few years anyway?’
Reminds me of the Redd Foxx quote, that “in a few years all these health nuts are going to feel like idiots, lying in the hospital dying of nothing”.

What a switch, Edward spending most of his time lying down from weakness, being the “sleeping” one in the partnership.

That’s great that Bella figured out a way for Edward to have some of her blood without having to bite her himself. Thank goodness she had participated in a blood drive.
I always thought Edward should have gotten some of her blood in canon, for a “special treat”. I agreed with Aro that not (safely) feeding from her was “a waste” of a great gift.
Renee Aubin chapter 7 . 12/3/2021
It’s still shocking that Edward has become this frail:
"Forgive me," he said, slumping over on the couch. "I can't sit up any longer."
Later when she asks for a hug:
"Then come here, Bella, for I am too weak to come to you."

Grim, and only getting grimmer: ‘…so desperate for joy as our classes grew smaller and smaller as people became ill, died, or simply moved away, hoping somehow to outrun the illness.’

It’s so hard to read the stories of each of the Cullens succumbing.

Amazing, what happened to Alice:
“Jasper was startled by a noise outside. He dropped her hand in surprise. As soon as their skin-to-skin connection was lost, she slipped away.”

And then Jasper: “Jasper was beside himself, naturally. He … built Alice a great funeral pyre, and then he jumped into the flames with her body in his arms.”
He might be the only one that really got to make a choice.

Sigh: ‘And the other coven, they tried not to feed, knowing it would mean their death. But they simply grew too hungry to care anymore. 'What kind of living is this?' they said, leaving for what would be their last hunt, even as I begged them not to go.’

Being the last two sentient beings on earth, that sure cuts through all the uncertainty of making new relationships. They’re just together now, period.
Renee Aubin chapter 6 . 12/3/2021
It makes sense that she could feel this way:
‘I couldn't explain the sudden warmth I felt knowing that he'd wanted to … consume me. Me, out of all the others.’
(What is wrong with me?)

Huh, this sheds a little more light on that day:
"I ran away, and my family came with me. I knew I couldn't stay near you, because I would kill you. I controlled myself for those moments when you were near enough for me to twist your head, kill you quickly … but how would I be the next day? Or the next?”

The reason Edward came back to Forks now:
"I wanted to know if I'd still feel you, that raw desire, even as I walked over the place where you were laid to rest."
Wow.

OK, what the heck happened to the stars? Has the earth’s atmosphere gotten too murky? That would explain the weaker sun too.
Renee Aubin chapter 5 . 12/3/2021
What a condition Edward has devolved into. Hard to imagine.

A favorite line:
‘I wanted to stop and lie down in the middle of the road and cry, cry as I hadn't really let myself yet, because if I cried as much as I wanted, I'd never be able to stop. No, I only let out some tears, just enough so I wouldn't drown.’

Great idea that Bella had edited Edward out of her memory of that first Biology class. Until… ‘And then a feather's touch, cold fingertips on my cheek, and like a flash, there was a new memory, so sharp it cut into my brain like a scalpel.’

Vivid: ‘His hand hovered near my face, and I wondered if he would actually touch me. It trembled, and I could see each tendon of the skeletal hand. It would have been terrifying if his face hadn't been so pitiable.’
Renee Aubin chapter 4 . 12/3/2021
Very good line:
‘I played a movie in my head, a montage of my last few months, of all the things I had done that I hadn't believed myself capable of…’

You really explore how being unable to die becomes more of a sentence than a blessing.
Renee Aubin chapter 3 . 12/3/2021
So well imagined:
‘It was after the calendar ran out of days and my thoughts grew sluggish and strange, that I dreamed I had forgotten how to speak, was devolving, turning back into a primate.’

What an entrance:
‘He—it—whatever—was beautiful, like an angel fallen from heaven. … I looked up to the skies to figure out how he'd gotten here. I gazed above me and murmured, "Where did you come from?"’

And it turns out he really had come looking for her!
Renee Aubin chapter 2 . 12/3/2021
Shiver:
‘Within the month, Denver was gone.
No one talked about it. After the initial hysteria, we pretended nothing had happened, that Denver had just been a fairy tale, an imaginary place. The TV in our home grew dusty, neglected, as Charlie and I dared not turn on the news.’

Good twist on Jacob spilling the beans re what the Quileute know.

‘Was I imagining it, or was the sun was fading a little bit more every day? Was it not as warm on my cheek as the sun of my youth?’
Creepy. And yet, without tracking season changes, without being sure what month it is, how would you be sure?

Quite an idea, that every morning she would reread the last paper that had been delivered. She seems to be doing whatever she can to maintain “normal”.
Renee Aubin chapter 1 . 12/3/2021
Of course I have heard this story recommended may times over the (11!) years. I don’t normally tackle post-apocalyptic themes, but considering the number of reviews it got, I figured I might be missing something. And oh my God was I ever! One of the most original ideas EVER for these characters, beautifully executed, and it kept me on the edge of my seat in every chapter.

This chapter is a skillful evocation of the sweetness of everything she’s lost. She was so brave sending Charlie off.

And having read all of it, her complaints about the sun certain produce a chill! Holy crap, even the bugs are gone.

Favorite lines:
‘He had died only once. Death was just one small part of this bed. I tried to remember all the nights he was alive, sleeping here, and I could hear the blood rushing in my ears from the vacuum of sound all around me.’
Nabookie chapter 7 . 5/6/2021
Dang you are like an Oracle; a telepath, envisioning this and the pandemic we’re in. Lol
Click57 chapter 25 . 2/22/2021
Oh wow! You made Bella’s emotions come to life - despair/hope/joy/love. The feeling of peace that she could choose how she died. And the her final choice -so different than what she had originally planned , but still HER choice. I hope that the heat was enough to destroy Edward too.
Thank you for persevering and completing this story. It reverberates even 10 yrs later as we push through a real-life pandemic and severe climate change.
Lizzie Paige chapter 25 . 2/19/2021
Oh my! Crying, crying. I couldn’t stop reading this. :)
Lizzie Paige chapter 20 . 2/19/2021
Their own little bit of magic.
3,090 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »