Reviews for The Memory of Water
Chloe.at.Eleusis chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Fluid and shifting as shadows on the surface of the water; seen from above or beneath, they reveal pieces of the landscape and form their own shadowscape as well. Lovely and strange, in the sense of faithful translation of a foreign tongue; I want more of this mer-speech.
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
Sniffs. Wow. That's amazing! It's a very good way of showing things from the merpeople's point-of-view. Lovely stuff!
dreamspell chapter 1 . 11/22/2011
This tale is so painful and beautiful to read; it's utterly amazing. I am slowly working my way through all your stories and if there are others like this then I am going to be incredibly happy. I love the narrative voice - it really makes one think about the story that we all know part of already, and wonder about what we *didn't* see, but most of all it made me grieve for Severus. It reads as if it were real.

Poor Severus - to be so misunderstood...
bluemeanies chapter 1 . 10/15/2011
This is very good and for some reason reminds me of the writing of Ursula LeGuin- with it's mythological feel and uncommon perspective
lunafish chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
I love how you play on the customs of oral tradition here to give us what feels like a living narrative with potential for refinement and elaboration through multiple tellings. I also like the idea that Snape's life and sacrifice will live on in the stories of the long-lived, deep-memoried merpeople. Lovely work!
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 7/23/2010
Oh, yes, very well done. And they wanted to save the rook boy, but could not; but White made sure nobody else wanted to.

Very good.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
We see the story we know as if through water - not moves to a different rhythm. Very interesting study of the merpeople and their relationship with different wizards. We are brought to look at things in a different light - literally.

Rook is a perfect name. "Puzzle" and "Resentment" cause us to stop and think. Voldemort was a riddle and what made Umbridge so resentful ? We can find compassion there. Anyway, that was beautiful.
whitehound chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
Ignore this review: this is just me testing which characters will display where for my ffn how to page, following the latest upgrade.

!"#$%? ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR

§

§§

...

...

w. whitehound. co. uk/Fanfic/good underscore or underscore bad underscore Snape. htm

w . whitehound . co . uk / Fanfic / good underscore or underscore bad underscore Snape . htm

w dot whitehound dot co dot uk forward-slash Fanfic slash good underscore or underscore bad underscore Snape dot htm

w w w. whitehound. co. uk/Fanfic/good_or_bad_Snape. ht . whitehound . co . uk / Fanfic / good_or_bad_Snape . htm

3ws dot whitehound dot co dot uk forward-slash Fanfic slash good underscore or underscore bad underscore Snape dot htm

3wsstopwhitehoundstopcostopuk/Fanfic/good_or_bad_Snape . htm

3ws stop whitehound stop co stop uk / Fanfic / good_or_bad_Snape . htm

3ws stop whitehound stop co stop uk forward slash Fanfic slash good underscore or underscore bad underscore Snape stop htm

whitehound at madasafish. com

whitehound at madasafish . com

whitehound at madasafish dot com

whitehound madasafish. com

whitehound madasafish . com

whitehound at madasafish stop com
cecelle chapter 1 . 1/31/2010
I like this look from the perspective of one of the non-human being species. Very clever!
Aurette chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
Oh, well done! I love how you answered the Challenge. Excellent take on an epic battle only partially understood by a race seldom noticed. The Rook, was particularly well done, the double meaning was apt and his fate, sad all over again. Good job!
tearsofphoenix chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
Beautiful story, enchanting through the narrative of the voice that you choose.

It reaches the mind and the heart with the kind of immediacy that only great knowledges and skills can attain, and flows like a different way to tell a known tale, delighting the reader for the many different ways in which the merepeople calls everyone and everything.

There is compassions towards humans and non, even for the Puzzle that once was a man, when it's said:

"killing him properly dead, and that was good - probably even for him."

but of course the main tragedy is that of the one who couldn't "see the world he had fought for" and the final line is the greatest to me, it tells of our helplessness to really change that end despite our wish.

Thank you.
duj chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
I suppose the thread of music running through it is a touch of self-insert; she seems as immersed in song as you. Even the water is "singing with oxygen" or dead.

I like that it was Salazar who invited them in the first place. That fits with his element being water, and subtly suggests that his rejection of Muggle-borns was not a blanket hatred of difference; instead he sought (and found) peers in magical beings rather than human-shaped beings.

I love the foreigner's-candour of her thought: "a human called Resentment came (why do you call your children after such strange things?) ... are humans really that sure who their fathers are? ... the ones who should have been his honour guard ..." and the explanation of Hagrid's attitude, "humans are monsters too to him, I think - all aliens, all otherwise..."

Re-reading this, I was struck by the similarity in fate of the Basilisk in the first paragraph - "twisting through the pipes for so long, so lonely without a mate or a master" - and today's birthday boy in the last - "so lonely, without a mate or a master". Poor rook boy. It's a shame he never learned to speak Mermish really well. They seemed to understand him better than his own species did.
trekker2002 chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
Such a joy to find a new story from you and even more in the reading. My first thought was what a great idea to write from the perspective of the merpeople and the story fully bore that out. The slightly changed names were a great touch and especially the puzzlement over the strange names humans give their children. I loved the use of 'rook' for Severus as it worked so well with the link to his appearance and the chess metaphor. Your writing always shows so much thought and research.

Thank you so much for this. It was my birthday yesterday and this came along almost as a late present. Thank you and best wishes for 2010.
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 1/9/2010
An interesting, insightful and possibly unique view. Keep writing